Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Jonny B, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

After doing the Rifle for this show, I guess I can't leave the Pistol out of my collection. So, as I'm still a newbie here and not allowed to offer anything in the Junkyard (yet :lol ), here's how YOU can build a nice prop.

You'll need:
    Nerf N-Strike Nite Finder Pistol
    The Flashlite from a Nerf Recon CS-6
    6" of 3/4" PVC
    Female 3/4" PVC end cap
    Mini-Mag Flashlight, the 2 cell AA (BOTH the LED and regular are used in the show so either is correct)

Here we go!

Disassemble the Nerf gun and the Recon Flash lite by taking out all the screws. Carefully, lots of little springs inside that can go TWANG! and be lost.
    NOTE: I like things that work so I'm going to keep the original LED Targeter.
    Remove all the parts you won't be needing till it looks like this picture.

[​IMG]
    Dremell the trigger as shown:
    [​IMG]

Gut the lens for the light and put it back togeather. It's a used part for the top of the gun, so save it!
    [​IMG]

Dremell and sand the PVC so the Female end fits good. Then put the angle on the piece and glue it flush. After it sets up, a little glazzing putty with your finger around the edge and a light sanding completes the barrel. Give it a quick shot with black spraypaint to be sure it looks right.
    [​IMG]

Choice time: If your going to put it under glass or hang it on a wall, use bondo to fill in the body sections. If it's going to walk around with you as part of a costume, Short Strand Fiberglass.

Once the two Bodys are done, sand the face of the grey piece that was holding the batteries in for the Recon Flash lite.

You should be here...
    [​IMG]

More later ...

2. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was hoping someone woud do this one.

3. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Alright! just the one I was thinking about....

4. silverskyes402

silverskyes402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet!!! You can't post em in the junkyard yet..... but I'll buy one from ya ;)

5. kevinericon

kevinericon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice. Looking forward to more updates.

6. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

For today....

This little grey piece, that was the part that held in the battery for the Recon Flash lite, sand the ~face~ to get all that silly lettering off of it. Use 220 so it's rough enough to accept glue.
    [​IMG]

Now as I said, I'm keeping the integral lite that the pistol has already in it. To do that, dremell out this grey pieces internal ribbing so it fits over the LED black housing.
    [​IMG]

Rough sand the top of this piece as well, it gets glued to the original holder of the lens for the LED. But not yet, just prep the pieces for now. We have to get the barrel shroud (Recon Flash Lite) fitted for placement first.
    [​IMG]

Fun time...This is the hardest part to do right here. I find that having a full-scale photo or print out works wonders for getting details corect. I highly recomend it, if you can get them.
    The red lines are the cut points, leave yourself about 1/8" and then sand to a perfect fit from there. You can see the front is done here.
    [​IMG]

more tomarrow!

...sorry taking so long but I have 3 Parties to get get 5 costumes ready for this weekend.

7. Sean

No problem.looking good....

8. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Which version are you doing (left or right)?

[​IMG]

9. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

All three :cool

This is the hardest one.
    [​IMG]

The other two (as in your picture) are built on it with only some very minor details changed. I'll explain were each one diverts as I build, so if you want any of the three you get the info on it.

just in grabbing some dinner and will be back out in the shop the rest of the night

10. Etewaf

Etewaf Active Member

Hmm, from looking at some of the reference shots in the analysis thread, are we sure the barrel on this isn't from the recon as well? It would have to have its 'slots' filled in, but it looks about the right size, and it seems to have the little pinlines circling around the barrel like the recon does. A piece of 3/4 could have been inserted to create the same inner diameter as when using a coupler or end cap.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  11. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Yes, I'm sure. It's close and workable if you don't or cant do the PVC barrel, but not exact.
    [​IMG]

12. DBCooper

DBCooper Well-Known Member

13. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Sorry, busy busy...

Here I've used a piece of wood and dremelled it down to fit on the top rail as the Iron Sight.
    [​IMG]

Gutted the scope/barrelshroud completely.
    [​IMG]

While it is taped togeather, fiberglass it along the inner join,then dremel out any excess glass.
    [​IMG]

Here's a test fit to the gun. You can see where I'll need to cut-dremel so the barrel shroud fits cleanly over it.
    [​IMG]

Measured the stop point and cut away excess top rail from the main body.
    [​IMG]

NOT attached yet (tons more to do and add) but you get the idea where this is going.
    [​IMG]

--end of line--

14. Sean

Looking awesome!

15. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

HA! I know where that one came from too! That's a left-over piece from the Terra Nova Rifle build. They must have had it laying about like I did :lol
    [​IMG]

16. monker67

monker67 Active Member

Jonny B, Your tutorial has inspired me to build a pistol as well. I have picked up the Nite Finder and Recon already and I will start the tear down this weekend. Keep up the great work!!! I am looking forward to more instalments to come. :thumbsup

Jeff

17. railhead

railhead New Member

is Nerf getting it's own place in the credits of Terra Nova?

18. dwarf

dwarf New Member

it ,s looking good

19. JohnsonArms

JohnsonArms Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool thread!! I'm looking forward to raiding the parts bin to make one of these variants. I really appreciate the tutorial Jonny B!

Brian

20. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

OH KAY! All Hallows Eve is done so back to work! (Also, very happy with wining all the local shows :lol )

Today:

This grey piece, that was the part that held the original lens for the target LED, is now going to be used to hold the barrel of the gun. Sand down both "faces" of it till smooth.
    [​IMG]

Now dremell out the opening so your PVC barrel is a good fit in it. Once thats done you need to fill the side holes (shown in pic) with bondo or glass, then resand down to smooth sides again.
    [​IMG]

Back to this barel shroud...dremel or cut as I show it marked in red. You can see this'll match exactly with the original show prop.
    NOTE! I've shown how to do the ~vent holes~ on a piece exactly like this in the Terra Nova Rifle Build, its the same with this piece.
    [​IMG]

Here I've roughed in the handle a bit more, building it up with more glass. Theree are 3 finger grips ~notches~ mark them in pencil and sand with 220 to get the shape, then with 400 to get it cleaner. Finally with 800 for that smooooth finish :)
    [​IMG]

Test fit all the pieces and here's where you should be....

[​IMG]

The next steps divert, depending on what gun you want to make.

21. Sean

Art in the making.nice work my friend.any chance we could get a pic of it from the back?

22. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

OK, choice time:

If you want the James "Jim" Shannon pistol, cut off the flashlite mounts flush with the main body and fill with fiberglass. That's these two pieces that hang down under the barrel...
    [​IMG]

If you want the Commander Nathaniel Taylor pistol, remove the flashlite mounts as well, but THIS piece *half of it actually, it comes apart and you only need one section* is added instead of the lens.
    [​IMG]

If you want the Lt. Alicia Washington or Lt. Guzman pistol...you're a glutton for punishment and should seek help! OK, start by filling in the arms of the pieces that hang down with fiberglass. These arms/mounting brackets are functional (at least how I made it) and will hold the flashlite.
    [​IMG]

Dremell out the holes and then drill them with 1/8th in drill bit. These holes are actually smaller then the screws we'll use.
    [​IMG]

Now we "tap" the hole. Grab a extra screw, file 2-3 cuts in the tip of it and SLOWLY screw it in. When you meet a bit of resistance, back it out, clean it off and start again. This is a cheap way to tap holes for a perfect fit.
    [​IMG]

Wa-la! Two holes, taped and now the flashlight mounts easy, and more important, can be taken out and new batterys put in it!
    [​IMG]

Dremel the grey piece as shown. The "Lens" was a bit tricky but I think I got close. The Orange piece is part of the bolt return in a Nerf Recon. If you don't have one, no biggy, make it out of wood.
    [​IMG]

Cut the orange piece and fit it as shown. Go slow, take your time. If you had to hand make the piece, go even slower :)
    [​IMG]

Should be able to wrap this puppy up tomarow! I have the pieces painted and drying right now, just final assembly to go!

Here they are just before being shot.
    [​IMG]

23. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesome. I was wondering how the bottom barrel would be completed.

Can't wait to see it in paint!

24. Sean

Sweeeeeeet! can't wait for paint ether.nice work man.....

25. Etewaf

Etewaf Active Member

Looks good. Have you identified the little detail piece that is glued to the round part on the back where the nerf logo used to be?

26. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

The "exact" piece has eluded me. However, I think I've come up with a acceptable substitute.

Here's the Nerf Recon clip and you can see the piece I've cut out of another one.
    [​IMG]

After a bit of dremel work, some sanding with a file...not to bad.
    [​IMG]

And of course you have to make two of them, but only one Nerf Clip is needed to do it.
    [​IMG]

I drilled and counter sunk the pieces first, then gorilla glued them on.
    Then, when glue was dry and set hard, I drilled again with a smaller bit. The screws would be enough to
    hold it on, but I didn't want them to move durring the drilling.
    [​IMG]

Primer showed a few low's and high's so I'm going to re-sand it all down again...
    [​IMG]

...but that's tomarow!

night all!

PS. There IS one more piece to make for this...anyone know what it is? :)

27. Mike J.

Line of 'blocks' inside the horizontal groove on the main body?

BTW, isn't Stephen Lang's flashlight mounted to the side, or has the 'claw' part turned to the side? I see it sticking out of the holster.

Very clever mod work on that little orange detail piece :)

She looks great.

-MJ

28. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Correct! That's the last piece needed to be made...about time too :lol

Also Correct! The Commander Nathaniel Taylor pistol does re-use the two pieces that are cut off the bottom of the gun. They are reattached to the right side. Then (and seriously just "WOW!!" at the lazyness of this) they used an industrial Zip-Tie to hold the flashlite in place.
    [​IMG]

29. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

That's some incredible work on a prop i knew next to nothing about!

I'll be looking for these pistols all the time now!!!!1

You sure know your stuff!

rich

30. HeroWorship

HeroWorship Well-Known Member

Been wondering about this since the show came on. Great job. Gotta find your rifle thread too.

31. Zendragon

Zendragon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* cool! Can't wait to see it finished

32. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

And there's the finish line! Just need a few things and its done...

As Sith Sheriff Brody said, these two pieces were still needed. Here's how I did them, wood pieces (mainly because my shipment of plastics hasn't arived yet) and made both at the same time.
    [​IMG]

Finished the top iron site. You'll notice I added a slight angle to the sides. Not that this thing would actually work with no V site at the end of the gun *rolls eyes at dumbness*
    [​IMG]

Everything glued, glassed and resanded it all down.
    [​IMG]

Much to my dogs delight, ready to paint it.
    [​IMG]

Hung up and ready to shoot. I always coat underside first, then do the top.
    [​IMG]

Put the last 4 screws in it, and tested the light. Funny, on the pictures its kinda white looking but its really a deep red with a + crosshair on it.
    [​IMG]

Up on the wall it goes to join its big brother.
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for following along, had fun doing it and as always if you have questions, feel free to ask!

See ya next build!:lol

33. Sean

That is an awesome piece of work .and sooooo fast!

34. SiliconRiot

SiliconRiot New Member

I work on Terra Nova, and as a prop collector...well just getting started... I just might have to build a couple of these myself.

35. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

hehe...like I wouldn't do a "Beauty Shot" of this lil' guy! Here you go...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I could clean it up a bit more to be a perfect "Hero" but I really don't need to...I'm a "Sixer" :lol Going to rough it up a bit, some paint chips and such.

OK, now for the warning: I did this tut. so people could do thier own, I do not want to see my build pictures on someone elses eBay add.

36. Mike J.

That is the shiz :)

Awesome job.

37. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Excellent tutorial!

Here's my Jim Shannon version:
    [​IMG]

I used a little artistic license here and there, but I used most of your tutorial as the basis for my build. Thanks for all of the great tips - I don't think I could have figured it all out on my own! :lol

38. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

NICE!

That's one sweet build right there!

39. terryr

terryr Sr Member

You should watermark all your photos. (as everyone should) Just ghost on your name and they can't use them. Or can't deny the theft anyway.

Nice work, but I read this show had 20 million to spend. Where did it go?

40. JohnsonArms

JohnsonArms Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Really wonderful work and thank you for the great tutorial. I saw your eBay comment and wondered if you had any issue if I make use of your tutorial to make one for a client. Just wanted to clarify, thanks very much

Brian

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  41. Noc

Noc New Member

This tut should of been a video. Think Im gonna try it this.......Thanx

42. macogle

macogle New Member

Looks like a run to the store for a nerf gun is in order! Very nice work guys.

43. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Please use it! I made the tut. so people could have them, same as the Terra Nova Rifle.
    For the "Cool Factor" this is a very inexpensive replica to make and I'd put it at about a 4 to 5 in difficulty. Honestly, with an exacto knife, gorilla glue, sand paper and some bondo, you can do this over a weekend.

enjoy!

Nobby likes this.
  44. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Many thanks for this tutorial!
    I've just about got all the bits I need to make a start.
    My local store was even selling the Nite Finder at half price!!!!

:D:D

45. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Using these pics to try and get my boyz to mod their nerf guns (currently collecting dust) and learn how to do stuff.. :love

46. NickB

NickB New Member

Great tutorial! Off to get the razor saw. What was the final finish you used?

47. Nobby

I'm almost ready to make a start on mine, but I'm not 100% sure inn the pipe end fitting that I need to get. Anyone have a decent pic of this part? Thanks

48. Delmustator

Delmustator Sr Member

Looks like a simple coupler to me.

49. Nobby

it just doesn't immedately strike me as something I've seen in stores here in the UK :(

50. monker67

monker67 Active Member

For my build I just used a 3/4" white pvc coupler and added a thin 0.30" band of styrene around the end to make the slight lip. What I need to figure out is what goes under the cowel between the gun body and the light gray rounded piece that the barrel attaches to? Thoughts?