Terra Nova References & Analysis Thread - for Pics of Props, etc.

Taylor (Stephen Lang) holding one of the 'mystery' guns.

Guys, what do you think we should call these things? The ones with the green lasers that shoot green blasts?

Stun guns? Tasers? Green guns?

-MJ

Guys, what do you think we should call these things? The ones with the green lasers that shoot green blasts?

-MJ

Commander Taylor: "If you do engage slashers, aim for the under-belly. Thier hides are too thick for the Tranq-guns to penitrate."

Had to go watch it again on Hulu :lol

Great thread, I'm subscribed. Just a heads up, the handguns are about 8 bucks at Target. I saw them there today and recognized them immediately. I'll have to stop back and pick up a few, along with some recons.

I think it would b cool if u could make the knife / slasher tail barb shown in episode 1. the photos are attached sorry about the poor quality but i still think u can see the main points.

Im curious if the budget for this show was Roger Corman based? FYI, you can get that motorcycle armor for about $35 as an import replica. I assume based on the low budget props that unless product placement supplied the real thing, its replica armor.

-MJ
It's very hard to tell from just that one pic, but looking at the business end of the barrel... it could be made using one of NERF's new Vortex guns that fires little discs, rather than darts. But I'd need to see more pics from different angles to be sure. :unsure

That occurred to me, but the Vortex guns must have come out long after the pilot was done shooting ... right? Months, if not longer ... ?

-Mike J.

That occurred to me, but the Vortex guns must have come out long after the pilot was done shooting ... right? Months, if not longer ... ?

-Mike J.
Yeah, good point. Hmmm.... still, they aren't the first guns ever made that fire little plastic discs... disc-firing toy guns have been around for DECADES... could still be a toy. We just have to identify which one. :unsure

Great thread, I'm subscribed. Just a heads up, the handguns are about 8 bucks at Target. I saw them there today and recognized them immediately. I'll have to stop back and pick up a few, along with some recons.

when you pic the ones from target up.could you post some pics of them please.

They were called trank guns by the art dept, although some parts came from nerf guns, they were largly scratch built, the master was made from timber and a section of pvc pipe ,the top section was made fom sections of the nerf gun magazines. originally they were supposed to fire disks, however the design was altered . these were also molded, and cast in urethane. The lazers were added later.

As much as I love this show, it is rather disheartening to see lazy prop makers on the set. I mean even most of us on here that are "not professionals" can see what they are, and could do at least a little better.

Good show nonetheless.

Does anyone else think the barrel for the pistol is from the recon? The 'slots' would have to be filled, but it appears to have those little pinline grooves, just like the recon.

I dunno - they have a similar bevel, but I don't think the diameter of the bore matches the Recon.

EDIT: Not that the bore couldn't have been drilled out... The way stuff has been scratchbuilt to match the look of the Nerf stuff, there may be no way to tell for sure, unless we get some really nice pics.

Last edited:
... it is rather disheartening to see lazy prop makers on the set. I mean even most of us on here that are "not professionals" can see what they are, and could do at least a little better...

Although I completely agree, it could come down to factors that has nothing to do with the actual art dept. The production designer may responsible as they had a design to come up with and it was signed off on, time is a major factor as is budget. Maybe all at the same time lead to "Nerf guns".

Examples of past sillery in prop design by a production design team yet manufactured from scratch, Spiderman 3 swords with hilts based on paintball items, the breathers from Riddick based on asthma breathers, and without going into detail ill just mention BSG, Star Wars and Star Trek where many items were strait off the shelf with some not getting as much as a little paint work.

What i can not stand is design with zero function. Thats why I cant stand Star Trek props or bulky sci fi items that are bulky and clumsy for no reason other than it looks "futuristic".

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back