Terminator: Dark Fate (Post-release)

What did you think of Terminator: Dark Fate?

• Total voters
I didn't see any dino skulls. I saw skulls from large monsters.
latest?cb=20130809191023.jpg

Please take a look at the upper left of the frame. :)

I try not to be too whiny about things these days and enjoy things the way they are as there's really more important things in life. It's hard though when they try and push new characters as the next big thing (and hint sequels.) but fall flat in that the most memorable characters in the film are Linda and Arnold, the old characters.

I've rooted for this film for Linda's return as Sarah has always been the real hero of T1&2 but so much of it is just a retread and feels forced.

I really hope they just leave this franchise alone now. I'm off to play Terminator:Resistance on my PS4. It's not a AAA game but it oozes with fan service respect for the lore T1&2 created. It also doesn't feature that stupid looking Genisys Endo. ;)

Ben

Good Job Tim Miller:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/05/darkest-fate-how-the-terminator-franchise-was-finally-terminated?fbclid=IwAR2dSAJkTfOystUZ4I_MBQgQv9UhcZiRfxBQ_lfUKTc-vANnFDYyv7V80bA

"It might not technically be official yet (studios rarely publicly admit as much, just in case) but after the sixth Terminator film crashed, burned and descended into a vat of lava this past weekend, thumb down, it’s looking like it’s finally time to say hasta la vista."

Better dead than keep pissing on the franchise and fans.

Curious.

For me, I feel like the more a movie after number two distanced itself from the original actors, the more I enjoyed it.

Sarah Connor Chronicles was a fun little "what if" kind of thing, that could also potentially fit into the story as told in 1 & 2. While I ultimately stopped watching it, it was because I just wasn't up for the television format where the heroes walk away from almost every episode having made the wrong choice, and not knowing it.

Salvation was actually a lot of fun for me, because we got to see new things, and learn more about the Terminator universe.

If they had stuck on that path of telling stories in the Terminator universe, but with mostly new characters, I feel like they would have had more success in the long run. Trying to bring back the same characters and same actors makes it so easy to just retell the same story.

So, I saw it last night, and over all I really enjoyed it. I liked the "quicker" terminator, and the amped up fast future soldier. I liked the idea that fate truly can be changed; that John and Sarah's judgement Day was actually averted, instead of the idea that John would always survive to lead the resistance, no matter how many terminators came back, but that Judgement Day could also never be avoided, just survived.

I liked the design on the Rev-9, where (to me at least) it looked like portions of it had purposely been hollowed out so it could "hold" more of the living metal. I also liked the black on black color choice of the living metal end endoskeleton.

The idea that the T-800 developed into a person was weird, but neat, and I think does fit with what we've learned about them. They're learning machines. They are meant to add to their ability to blend in and replicate humans; so much so that it makes sense the imperative to do that would be hard wired, as opposed to an "order". And if all it's standing orders were done, then it seems like it might default to running it's "basic" purpose.

I liked the acting, and most of the special effects. The "vomit comet" fight was actually really nifty to me (contrived circumstances to get you to it, but "contrived" is kind of the name of the game in Terminator).

The only complaint I've seen about the movie that I straight up agree with, is that the special effects seemed lacking for a movie of its era and station in the pantheon of film (You freaking pull out all the visual stops for Terminator). Especially near the start of the movie, "car leaping" and other CG effects didn't come off right. I know some of it is the whole uncanny valley thing; it's easier to make a guy in a suit of Iron Man armor, or a spandex onesie look "realistic" in CG action scenes like that, than someone wearing a flannel shirt or an undershirt. That said, it can still be done well. There are plenty of great looking scenes of Gamora, Sam, Bucky, and Peeter in street clothes doing stuff just as acrobatic in the marvel movies, to show that it can be done.

Oh, and I really, REALLY, wanted the air force intel officer to be Reese. I know that's really wrong of me, but there it is. :p

there are some deleted/missing scenes filmed that would at least add to Dark Fate. The Air Force guy and his give/take relationship with Sara which is why she is just handed what they need and are allowed to just fly off in a zillion dollars worth of equipment. There is also a sub plot with the Govt guy that picks her up from the detention center and a black ops crew that was supposed to be after her A-Team style since the end of T2. I know some of all this was filmed. There is also a better version of savior Dani in the future with little Grace but its possible that was too violent.

Im surprised nobody brought up the GPS tattoo and location leading to Carl/T800. Grace has it tattooed on her in the future yet Carl is technically in the past approaching a future that didnt happen. This may be yet another "borrowed" aspect from Salvation where the hero (in Salvation it was Markus) has a main mission to bring technology files back in time, yet is completely unaware of it. By the end finale of DF we have remnants of a T800, a REV9 and human/cyborg hybrid all ripe for the picking. As much as I didnt care for DF, its set up, again, to be T2 resequel with reverse engineering... I wonder if the synopsis for the DF sequel would have a military funded agency attempting to unlock the secrets of the future technology for "good" as opposed to what would lead to SkyNet/Legion, bringing forth human cyborg/hybrids ala Salvation and its deleted scenes and sub plot.

The main hurdle DF had was the sequels before it, which it ignored yet took from in an attempt to create an alternate future within the same universe. But it didnt learn from those sequels, more big bang boom isnt what people want in a Terminator movie. People have been asking for just the opposite but deaf ears...

I guess it was okay if you just wanted T1 re-booted / remade with a little T2 put in it. The augmented soldier was Kyle. What's her name became Sara. Sara was Sara / T2 terminator along with Arnold. Judgement Day had been replaced with Legion day. The cycle continues.

It was okay, but really no better than any other sequel terminator movies post T2.

The initial scene on the beach looked very cool though.

there are some deleted/missing scenes filmed that would at least add to Dark Fate. The Air Force guy and his give/take relationship with Sara which is why she is just handed what they need and are allowed to just fly off in a zillion dollars worth of equipment. There is also a sub plot with the Govt guy that picks her up from the detention center and a black ops crew that was supposed to be after her A-Team style since the end of T2. I know some of all this was filmed. There is also a better version of savior Dani in the future with little Grace but its possible that was too violent.

Im surprised nobody brought up the GPS tattoo and location leading to Carl/T800. Grace has it tattooed on her in the future yet Carl is technically in the past approaching a future that didnt happen. This may be yet another "borrowed" aspect from Salvation where the hero (in Salvation it was Markus) has a main mission to bring technology files back in time, yet is completely unaware of it. By the end finale of DF we have remnants of a T800, a REV9 and human/cyborg hybrid all ripe for the picking. As much as I didnt care for DF, its set up, again, to be T2 resequel with reverse engineering... I wonder if the synopsis for the DF sequel would have a military funded agency attempting to unlock the secrets of the future technology for "good" as opposed to what would lead to SkyNet/Legion, bringing forth human cyborg/hybrids ala Salvation and its deleted scenes and sub plot.

The main hurdle DF had was the sequels before it, which it ignored yet took from in an attempt to create an alternate future within the same universe. But it didnt learn from those sequels, more big bang boom isnt what people want in a Terminator movie. People have been asking for just the opposite but deaf ears...

And still using the same ****** endo redesign from Genisucks.

I guess it was okay if you just wanted T1 re-booted / remade with a little T2 put in it. The augmented soldier was Kyle. What's her name became Sara. Sara was Sara / T2 terminator along with Arnold. Judgement Day had been replaced with Legion day. The cycle continues.

It was okay, but really no better than any other sequel terminator movies post T2.

The initial scene on the beach looked very cool though.

*Sarah
*Judgment Day

Exactly.

No need to bring in any politics. Money is everything, why else would they again go with the ugly as frak Genisys endoskeletons? To save money.

If they honestly cared, at all about the first two films, and had any sense of verisimilitude: they would use the same Terminator design. Arnie could easily have been a T-900, hence the different looking endoskeleton. But nooo.

The movie will lose money.
And in a few years, there will be another reboot.
Probably another attempt to start yet another trilogy.
Like Genisux, and like Salvation and T3 before that.
View attachment 1081190

"Frak" is not a word.

"nooo" is not a word.

"Genisux" is not a word. Try to at least be consistent when you make **** up.

Yes, I am being a complete ass by doing this, however, I have made my point, and I'm done now.

They likely used the "Genisux" T800 version as they possibly reused those CG files in DF? I know they reused Roland Kickinger's CG files or scan for Genesis. Although I dont believe the production was aware. When Halcyon went bankrupt those files likely went up for sale or were free game, labled Young Arnold or something of the like if memory serves. I watched the trailer for Genesis with Roland and can confirm he recognized his body. One major stand out in DF was the post T2 T800 body double was nothing like Arnold. Which ironically was the same guy they used in Genesis.

They likely used the "Genisux" T800 version as they possibly reused those CG files in DF? I know they reused Roland Kickinger's CG files or scan for Genesis. Although I dont believe the production was aware. When Halcyon went bankrupt those files likely went up for sale or were free game, labled Young Arnold or something of the like if memory serves. I watched the trailer for Genesis with Roland and can confirm he recognized his body. One major stand out in DF was the post T2 T800 body double was nothing like Arnold. Which ironically was the same guy they used in Genesis.

The reason for the redesigned endoskeleton is to save money. That is all.

Watched it on a plane today. Thought it was fine. I actually really liked the leads, and loved seeing Linda Hamilton back in the films. Overall, I enjoyed it and would have been fine with continued adventures surrounding these characters.

That said, there are some problems with the film, and I think the big issue we're bumping up against is that the films are still basically recycling the same plot over and over and over, without ever actually getting anywhere. Terminator: Salvation tried to do things a bit differently, but seemed to try to be too "edgy."

I think they need to decide to do one of two things:

1. The Terminator franchise becomes an endless war throughout time as the machines and humanity continually send agents back through time to give each of their respective sides an edge in the war against each other. In this version, we embrace the idea that the real goal is more to provide humanity with a chance to survive, rather than to preserve a final victory or guarantee an end to the machine threat.

or

2. You do one final series of films that takes you through the hero's life, and then up through the Future War, culminating in total victory AND THEN YOU ARE DONE, DAMMIT.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back