Terminator: Dark Fate (Post-release)

What did you think of Terminator: Dark Fate?

• Total voters
I went in not expecting much, and that's exactly what I got... Not much. And I have to agree that Carl ended up being the most compelling character in the movie. Oh well. Maybe next time.

I think "Carl" settling down an becoming a family man just seems... odd? Why would a T-800 do that? With the in-universe explanations we have from the first two films, HOW could a T-800 do that? We know that the model series has human like skin grafted over an endo-skeleton, hair that grows, and bad breath... but no INTERNAL organs, right? Were the terminators ever shown ingesting food/liquids? There's no digestive system, right? A Terminator's skin may have odor, but are they gassy? Are there burps and farts? That would require a digestive system.

In T-2 when T-800 removed his arm skin to show Miles Dyson what was underneath; there was no musculature, fascia, or other normal human anatomy in that part of the body. When he gets face damage, we see skin and immediately the metal underneath, not the layers of muscle that cover your skull and face.

And even more disturbing... how could/would a T-800 marry a woman, grow old with her (and I presume be intimate as well), and completely fool her?

It was better when it was just a single movie, time travel is hard enough to write convincingly, adding even T2 takes it way off the rails.
Franchises: the doom of story continuity.
Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who thought T2 broke the story in too many ways. Nice to see I'm not alone.

I think "Carl" settling down an becoming a family man just seems... odd? Why would a T-800 do that? With the in-universe explanations we have from the first two films, HOW could a T-800 do that? We know that the model series has human like skin grafted over an endo-skeleton, hair that grows, and bad breath... but no INTERNAL organs, right? Were the terminators ever shown ingesting food/liquids? There's no digestive system, right? A Terminator's skin may have odor, but are they gassy? Are there burps and farts? That would require a digestive system.

In T-2 when T-800 removed his arm skin to show Miles Dyson what was underneath; there was no musculature, fascia, or other normal human anatomy in that part of the body. When he gets face damage, we see skin and immediately the metal underneath, not the layers of muscle that cover your skull and face.

And even more disturbing... how could/would a T-800 marry a woman, grow old with her (and I presume be intimate as well), and completely fool her?

Well according to Cameron's original script for The Terminator, the T-800 has to eat, in order to keep the living tissue "alive". So it does have some basic organs and such, like miniature heart in order to maintain the organic parts. Which is why it's called a "cyborg".

In the Terminator TV show, "The Sarah Connor Chronicles", one of the lead characters 'Cameron', a Terminator (played by Summer Glau, and in my opinion, the best Terminator performance ever) can be seen eating.

The show is far from the greatness like T1 and T2, but is a million trillion times better than any of the films released after T2. Skip the new film and watch the TV show instead, it's available on both DVD and blu-ray.

TSCC also explored a Terminator killing off a husband and taking his place.... it didn't end well for the wife.

Totally agree.

I came late to that show, only catching up years later on dvd, and instantly fell in love with it.

Like Arnold, she had some great lines in it and that Series is leaps and bounds beyond all of the Movies after T-2

Well according to Cameron's original script for The Terminator, the T-800 has to eat, in order to keep the living tissue "alive". So it does have some basic organs and such, like miniature heart in order to maintain the organic parts. Which is why it's called a "cyborg".

In the Terminator TV show, "The Sarah Connor Chronicles", one of the lead characters 'Cameron', a Terminator (played by Summer Glau, and in my opinion, the best Terminator performance ever) can be seen eating.

The show is far from the greatness like T1 and T2, but is a million trillion times better than any of the films released after T2. Skip the new film and watch the TV show instead, it's available on both DVD and blu-ray.

TSCC also explored a Terminator killing off a husband and taking his place.... it didn't end well for the wife.

I know alot of people like T2 best but i still think T1 was the best. It was a darker, more brutal movie. This franchise just went lower and lower with each release screwing up the timeline more and more. T1 rocked, T2 was a more fun movie, T3 was a good popcorn flick after that it jumped the shark to me. T3 may have sucked to many, ( i dont think it was that bad) but i still think it is better then anything that came after it. T2 should have been the resistance war we saw in T1.

Concerning Dark Fate, when did Justin Beiber start making movies............lol

I know alot of people like T2 best but i still think T1 was the best. It was a darker, more brutal movie. This franchise just went lower and lower with each release screwing up the timeline more and more. T1 rocked, T2 was a more fun movie, T3 was a good popcorn flick after that it jumped the shark to me. T3 may have sucked to many, ( i dont think it was that bad) but i still think it is better then anything that came after it. T2 should have been the resistance war we saw in T1.

Concerning Dark Fate, when did Justin Beiber start making movies............lol
I see T1 as the best too although I do love T2.

Ben

gah! the franchise strip mining continues sigh. I haven't even seen this one and have no desire to why does this keep happening :(

So this is my whole issue with the entire movie. If John is killed and never becomes a man and leader of the Resistance then why was the first Terminator sent back to 1984? If John never existed in the future then no need for The Terminator to go back in time or Kyle Reese to follow and become Johns Father. This is why for me the first movie was perfect! It is a loop, John would live, become the leader, The Terminator comes back to kill Sarah, Kyle comes back and becomes Johns Father. If The Terminator never went back in time then Kyle would not have and that would have stopped John from being created at all! I love the first movie, the second is good, the rest don't exist for me.

Ok, let's see if I get this right. I'm a bit tired and am riding the NyQuil express with a Honey Whisky chaser.

In T-3 (redux) at the beginning of the movie, John is still the leader of the resistance. It's not until the Terminator kills John as a 17y/o (?) that a new timeline is created. So that part still makes sense.

The ridiculous moment to me was creating a terminator that frankly was indestructible. The Rev-9 models would have destroyed all of humanity in a blink of an eye. Thus making the whole future pointless.

This is a pretty good article. There are a few items I disagree with, such as the story is NOT fresh and the author still misses the large point of why this, along with many movies that are coming out of Hollyweird are now doing a major league belly flop.
The insane failure of Dark Fate is turning heads Read More: https://www.looper.com/1732The Insane Failure of Dark Fate is Turning Heads

They actually address this in the movie.

1. They're married. :lol:

The T-800 actually says that their relationship is simply not physical. He is a good provider, takes care of his wife and her son, and protects them. I get the feeling that she wasn't the type to ask too many questions. Which for many women at that age, it's a believable explanation!

1572938993649.png

Last edited:
Every movie after T2 was not only even more disappointing than the previous films but they just didn't make sense. T2 wrapped up the whole thing with destroying the Terminator tech, Dyson killing himself etc.

I have no desire to see the new one as there needs to be an end to the constant reboots for Terminator.

In a nutshell... MONEY! ;)

Exactly.

No need to bring in any politics. Money is everything, why else would they again go with the ugly as frak Genisys endoskeletons? To save money.

If they honestly cared, at all about the first two films, and had any sense of verisimilitude: they would use the same Terminator design. Arnie could easily have been a T-900, hence the different looking endoskeleton. But nooo.

The movie will lose money.
And in a few years, there will be another reboot.
Probably another attempt to start yet another trilogy.
Like Genisux, and like Salvation and T3 before that.
picard facepalmgif.gif

Haven’t been on the forum for a while, but here’s what I think is up:

The future of the films (after the original) was doomed from the moment the time travel concept got introduced in the original film. In all seriousness, the original film was a semi-exploitation film gone very, very right, and the sequel had absolutely no right to be as good as it was. To continue the already concluded story would just involve squeezing in more time-travel and just making things really messy. However, what allowed T2 to be as phenomenal a piece of cinema as it was were the circumstances of production.
Think about it, Cameron was hot off Aliens (proving he could make an amazing sequel) and The Abyss, which was an interesting exercise in creative filmmaking. When Cameron decided to make T2, he not only had some good ideas planned out, he was also preparing to direct the most expensive movie ever made at the time. The only real restraint on the production was the Computer-Generated T1000 effects, which ended up costing about 25% of the entire budget despite limited screen time. In short, T2 shouldn’t have been a good film, but because the film was pushing the boundaries of cinema and was helmed by one of the greatest directors (just before his prime, no less) who also created the world of the original film, T2 ended up being a great movie despite adding more room for time travel error. There’s probably many other reasons why it’s such a great film, but I just covered what I thought were the main ones.
Unfortunately, the time travel stuff was only bound to get worse with each revisit (or really revision) of the story which could only cause more and more time travel mess, but this time without the qualities to allowed the original sequel to succeed. Here we are 28 after production wrapped on T2, and we’ve had sequels getting worse and worse with only a slight uptick at the end because Cameron probably felt audiences deserved at least a little better than Genesys.
Since this movie did pretty terribly, it’s likely that the franchise is done at this point, which was a long time coming but sad any way you look at it. The original two films are in the echelon of popular US cinema, and to see the downward spiral drag on this long was prolongingly painful. I knew I was done with the franchise when I didn’t feel anything after hearing that it did poorly (Whereas I felt sad to hear the Blade Runner 2049 did as poorly as it did two years back).
You know what would be a great idea? What if they made a film about the production of T2, brought back the original cast, and in true T2 fashion, pushed the boundaries of cinema by making the actors, actresses and production crew appear three decades younger while allowing them to play their roles. I’d pay good money to see that!

Last edited:
Some more hilarious comments from the director.

"This movie is a lot darker than the other Terminator movies, where if you look at T2, nobody really dies—I mean, maybe somebody in a car they ran over. But here we’ve got… let’s just say there’s a lot of death in the movie..."

Did he not see the first two films, or something??
A guy gets his heart ripped out at the start of the first film. There's a freaking nuclear explosion in downtown L.A. in T2!
"Nobody really dies"?????

Wow, Tim Miller, just wow.

T1, gun store guy-"hey you can't do that" T800- "wrong" also T800 shoots 2 women in the back. T2 the T1000 impales the jail guard and Conners step dad right in the face.. Heck even in T3 the TX punches the detective right through the car seat and the guys chest and starts driving the car with her arm is through his chest while she destroys the guys face sitting in the passanger seat. Nope no killing in any of them. Haha, this is why this movie sucks. Tim Miller was directing!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back