TeresaMRoberts's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry- "Katy Perry Peppermint Dress"

Re: Katy Perry - Peppermint Dress

The moment you've all been waiting for!!! Or at least I have  my new slower motors came in, they are slightly larger size but they will have to do because they are the right speed! See them spin on my test below!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Katy Perry - Peppermint Dress They Spin!!!

Working on making fingerless gloves like hers. This is the first pair of gloves I e ever tried to make. These are NOT easy! I didn't want to buy leather because its expensive and not easy to work with so I chose red and white pleather/vinyl... Well see how they turn out lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373398876.169129.jpg

Took a couple of tries to get the size right but I think I've finally got it. I still need to put the white scalloped edging to the wrist of the glove but I think it looks pretty good!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373494753.901238.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373494786.487815.jpg

Covered the motors in red glitter and plasti dip and now waiting for the e6000 to dry. Also tested the several times while I was hooking them up and placing them. My luck it would dry in place and then not work lol!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373594265.177317.jpg

SO MUCH WIN IN THIS!!! Ugh I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to do more fun costumes with!! As it is I think I'm going to make her a rose to go with our Beauty and Rumpelstiltskin costumes. THOSE SHOES!!!!

I had to edit this comment just to include again how much this thread makes me happy. Seriously. I rarely come onto the costume section (or the RPF really with not having as much time anymore) because there just aren't really any threads that interest me. I don't do superheroes or armor suits and there's a lot of it now. As I was scrolling through the first page onto the second page to see if anything jumped out at me this did just that! Because it's so different! I'm not even that big of a Katy Perry fan lol but I do love her costumes and enjoy her music. Can't wait to see this whole outfit come together!!

SO MUCH WIN IN THIS!!! Ugh I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to do more fun costumes with!! As it is I think I'm going to make her a rose to go with our Beauty and Rumpelstiltskin costumes. THOSE SHOES!!!!

I had to edit this comment just to include again how much this thread makes me happy. Seriously. I rarely come onto the costume section (or the RPF really with not having as much time anymore) because there just aren't really any threads that interest me. I don't do superheroes or armor suits and there's a lot of it now. As I was scrolling through the first page onto the second page to see if anything jumped out at me this did just that! Because it's so different! I'm not even that big of a Katy Perry fan lol but I do love her costumes and enjoy her music. Can't wait to see this whole outfit come together!!

Thanks! I know what you mean about a lot of builds lol If this costume turns out good I'll probably enter in the Halloween contest this year so I might as well make the thread as I'm doing it vs trying to back track lol PLUS maybe it will helps someone else down the road.

As far as KP I was not a huge fan either. I don't have the radio in my car and would see pictures of her costumes on news stories. I don't have time to watch MTV or things of that sort any more lol. My son and daughter are in a state pageant at the end of the month and there is a celebrity/hollywood round. We finally decided on Indiana Jones for my son and I was going to do an Elvis for my daughter. I was on Netflix at work the other day (slow day) and saw they had that KP Doc on there "Part of Me" so I decided to watch it out of boredom. Turns out I loved it. Downloaded her CD on Itunes. Thought How fun would it be for my daughter to dress in one of her neat costumes lol Shes been listening to her songs ever since watching her stage shows online. Turns out she likes her too. The only song I really new before watching her movie was Firework lol.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Quite literally I've attempted 3 different ways to make the peppermints for the dress.... And not happy. So tomorrow ill be starting again! But first I have to go to Joann's because I'm out if supplies to do it. I didn't fail I learned how not to make a light bulb! Lol for real I think I know what I need to do. Do not rush through the steps, be patient lol the last technique worked the best. However, I rushed and ruined it. So stay roomed for some pics on the best way I found to do this... Lol

So I think I finished the gloves it's hard to get a good close up picture and since I'm posting from my phone sorry if its really small lol
Her Gloves:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373736838.997264.jpg

The ones I made:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373736877.811137.jpg

I really want to finish this, this weekend. I taped down the circles with painters tap after glittering them with white iridescent glitter. Marked the center and then the design. Using exact-o knife cut the tap for the design glue and glitter then clear coat

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373768191.112547.jpg

Then ad rhinestones. Don't rush make sure it's dry before taping if not the tape will remove your glitter lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373768284.949102.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373768319.204243.jpg

Two down at least 10 more to go lol

Thanks to some Amazing help from DrewSmith007 on the electrical aspects. I am now ready to begin construction of the Katy Perry Peppermint dress. I will be placing this peppermints a little differently because it is for my 6 year old daughter :)

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums...perry-spinning-peppermint-bra_zps2f8d2b07.jpg

For the skirt I started with this pattern:

View attachment 203831

The short poodle skirt but took it in a few inches so it wouldn't be AS Poofy. (they have this pattern in adult version too ;)) The pattern for the skirt calls for to pieces to be cut on the fold. Well I cut the front piece on the fold but for the back piece I wanted it install the red zipper in the back like Katy's dress. So I cut NOT on the fold to get two pieces and Added an inch to the fold line side for seam allowance to install the zipper.

For the Top of the dress I used the bodice to dress pattern I had laying around. I just altered the top of the pattern in a pretty shape and cutting off where the patter goes up to meet at shoulder seams. There is straps on her dress but I'll be adding them last and treating this like I'm making a strapless dress for the pattern.

I connect the bodice and skirt together to form the dress. I used white satin and Also used medium weight fusible interfacing for the outer shell of the dress. Katy's dress looks very stiff and holds form well so I though the interfacing would help with this. Also I cut out a lining layer for this dress. Not only does it help it look more professional and finished but in this case I NEED a lining layer to hide all the wiring. Another good thing about the interfacing makes it harder to see thought the white so it will also help to hiding wiring in case I can't get white.

So here is what the dress looks like so far:
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums...Perry Peppermint Dress/photo4_zps3b2d4457.jpg

I am now ready to start making all of the peppermints and start wiring up the dress! My motor and batter back came in, I'm sooo excited! They are very light weight and small! I tested them, they all worked and i think they are PERFECT!!!!

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums...Perry Peppermint Dress/photo5_zps6d974575.jpg

I thought the parts were on your finger tips. My first thought was, WOW, those are some tiny little motors.

Yes those would have been some tinny motors!! I read your post and literally laughed out loud :)

After some thought, all the time and several attempts to get these peppermints the way I wanted them and.... How do I get them on the dress.. Pros and cons to designing a dress as ya go. I thought yes I could hand stitch these on. But no matter what thread I use it will ruin the effect of my pretty peppermints.... Since I cut the satin circles after ironing on fusible interfacing that keeps them from fraying not to mention all the glues on top the fabric...so I decided to glue them on! I'm using my trusty E6000 glue. A lot of people don't like it because of the smell, I love it because of the results! Smell goes away after a day or two. So lets cross our fingers this works and that I didn't find something ma favorite glue won't hold! Lol we'll know by morning!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373777015.849132.jpg

Well glue seemed to work well.

KP also wears a bracket that is striped like a candy cane. I got 2 packed of polymer clay pearl red and pearl white and am now getting to bake her bracelet. I twisted the two colors together and tried to guess her size the best I can. I like the pearl colors because there was a fine glittery sparkle to them and you can't have too much bling! Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373828326.879542.jpg

Worked great! Here's a pic of her singing/dancing to KP wearing her gloves, bracelet and mic lol she's rocking it!!!

Still need to put peppermints on the back and add some more wrapping but she's been dying to try it all on together lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373836851.427939.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373836864.687792.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373836881.345356.jpg

So I think I'm done :) added all the wrappings, peppermints etc. unless anyone has any suggestions to make it better?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373859621.439556.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373859635.579549.jpg

I'll post a video of my daughter in the dress spinning here in the next few days. Comments, suggestions welcome!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back