Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (Post-release)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Mar 31, 2015.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this.....figured I'd start one..... if there is, pleasemerge...

So far the casting of The Arrow as Casey Jones is the ONLY thing that has come out of this sorry mess of a project that I am 100% behind no questions or complaints asked. then you remember who's behind this new movie universe and just cry yourself to sleep at the lost potential ;o)

2. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Bay Turtles 2

... i pretend bay turtles never happened

madmikeee, George, n0regret5 and 3 others like this.
  3. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

I almost started a thread with the Amell news too, he's a badaas choice for the role!!
    Btw the sequel secondary title is "Half Shell." No sure if its "Ninja Turtles: Half Shell" or "Turtles: Half Shell" or "TMNT Half Shell" lol. Plus... BEBOP AND ROCKSTEADY!!

4. niennumb1

niennumb1 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

More appropriately the title should be "Half @--." Big Turtles fan and been fine with every incarnation, but still have not watched the Platinum Dunes one.

KrangPrime likes this.
  5. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I wish I didn't see it...but, I felt the need to just so I could bash it properly. Even Rifftrax and the MST3K guys couldn't save that *.

I'm still uber confused by this amell news. he actually has a chance of being the best actor in this film sequel.... so i'm wondering who made a competent choice and how they got bay off the project long enough to do it. the press release was funny 'He had the best chemistry with meghan fox'. I guess his practicing with a oak tree before hand came in real handy.

blueunit1701 and niennumb1 like this.
  6. niennumb1

HAHAHAHA! You genuinely had me laughing out after reading that.

7. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

8. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

9. VilleLeskinen

VilleLeskinen Sr Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This movie is going to have everything I love in the TMNT franchise; big cars, supermodels and NBA players. Woohoo!! Bring it on!! :facepalm

10. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

11. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stephen Amell as Casey Jones

ZUSa4u8.jpg

12. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

What's with that mask? CJ always wore what's basically a hockey goalie's mask, right? Why re-invent the wheel and go so far away from the original idea/concept?

13. batguy

batguy Sr Member

It's Michael Bay. It took massive public outcry just to stop him from reinventing the turtles as aliens. He probably wanted to do that just because it worked for Transformers.

Bay doesn't even respect the source material of these cartoon shows he remakes, never mind staying loyal to it.

14. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

eh, with this movie, if that's the best we can get, I'd live with it. although it looks far too serial killer ish.

sigh. such a GREAT casting choice and it's going to be wasted.

15. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

The transformers were always from Cybetron, the movies just always referred to them as "aliens" because they didnt originate on earth, the use of that word did get old pretty quick in those movies lol

I am bummed that the origin of the mutagen is from space and not manmade, but I hope it can tie into Dimension X somewhere along the way

16. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Yeah I know.

I just have a feeling that Michael Bay didn't think any farther about the Turtles' origins than this: "When I remade that last 80s franchise the absurd cartoon characters showed up from space. People accepted it. Better to stick with what works."

n0regret5 likes this.
  17. seelsa73

seelsa73 Sr Member

Firstly, some people commenting obviously haven't even seen the movie they're hitching about, as they don't even so much as use the word alien in the first movie, much less have it being the source of the turtles or the mutagen.

Secondly, if you're not willing to diverge from the source material in even the slightest of ways, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment from the film versions of any of your favorote comic book heroes. There's always going to be something they leave out/change.

P.S. The hockey mask, really?! For the love of... That's a good example of the very definition of nitpicking.

18. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

The first Transformers movie overused the word alien, not first Turtles movie. Sorry if there was any confusion lol.

When April is watching her old videos, young April is looking at the mutagen in the lab and says something like: "its from outer space"

19. batguy

batguy Sr Member

I never said the turtles/ooze were alien in the Michael Bay movie. I said Michael Bay had been intending do that before the terrible public reaction when that info leaked.

n0regret5 likes this.
  20. seelsa73

seelsa73 Sr Member

She's also like 8, tops. I always took that as nothing more than a kid using her imagination.

n0regret5 and JLeezy23 like this.
  21. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Yeah maybe, i tried googling about the mutagen origins for the newer films and came up with nada. No proof to debunk the space thing and no proof to confirm the space thing lol. I still hope Dimension X and Kraang will be in the new films. Then again maybe i'm hoping for too much from a Bay reboot :lol

n0regret5 likes this.
  22. kegas76

kegas76 Well-Known Member

After seeing those creepy Paddington trailers I feel like this movie needs some Terror Bears.

23. joshvanrad

joshvanrad Sr Member

Is it too early for me to come out and say I hate this movie?

I feel like it isn't.

24. halliwax

^ i hear ya... i wasnt too hurt over the turtles new looks.. i kept saying if they had a good story the movie will do fine... well so much for wishing..

wonder if krang will be in the second one?

25. batguy

batguy Sr Member

Why stop at just hating the Michael Bay movies that he is confirmed to be doing?

For the record, I hate Michael Bay's Indiana Jones: The Reboot Begins.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  26. halliwax

i think he did excellent on transformers 1, and 2 wasnt too too bad. no transformers has yet topped the forest fight scene yet

n0regret5 likes this.
  27. infymys

infymys Sr Member

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/tmnt-2-set-photos-reveal-wwe-wrestler-sheamus-play/1100-152434/

Some set photos from the sequel. No mention of Bebop or Rocksteady mutating or staying human. And if Shredder actually stays with that look and gets something resembling the classic helmet/mask and without the Megatron armor or rocket boomerang blade things, I may start to get interested in this movie.

Not feeling the casting of Kirai, though. I think she should be younger since she should be a teenager like the turtles.

28. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Shredder's outfit looks pretty b.a, along with those other dudes dressed in black (hopefully true FOOT Clan members this time around) Yeah i hope the suit is more traditional looking than something Lucius Fox made and was stolen by Shredder lol. I really lol'd when i read "34 yr old cast as Shredder's teenage daughter" I think that Bebop and Rocksteady will mutate in the film, there was a canister of mutagen left in the end of the first movie. It seems like theyre really upping their fan service in this one to make up for the less than awesome reviews of the first film. Looking good so far imo, i'll probably like it

29. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Karai looks ok. Shredder is just meh if that is his final look. looks like next mutation not really trying shredder.

anything foot is b eter than that last attempt.

30. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

this is going to be just as depressing as the ghostbusters thread.

more images of Groot running around doing something.
    but look at her neck in shot three. looks like three round circles... doesn't seem natural ;o)
    [​IMG]

31. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

32. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

you beat me too it ;o)

I'm interested in seeing thefirst live action portrayal of Baxter (even if it is Madea playing him). I just don't TRUST bay at this point to care to get anything right.
    he didn't even try in the first movie.

Sigh. there would be a time when possibly having Ghostbusters, Turtles AND Star Trek Trailers rumored to be in front of force awakens would have made me giddy as a school girl. now i'm just dreading it.

33. E60flip345

E60flip345 Well-Known Member

i thought "Out of the Shadows" was for the game? i think its just a mess up im pretty sure the "Half Shell" title is the one they are using

34. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

Yeah I'm preeeetty sure Half Shell is still the title. From the teaser, Rocksteady is an easy 9 foot tall monster if not bigger. Trailer in 11 hours! @NeilT Apocalypse trailer is supposed to be with TFA as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  35. E60flip345

https://www.facebook.com/nerdonautas/videos/511571615711367/ trailer leaked 10 hours early, and we were both wrong it is indeed "Out of the Shadows"

36. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I saw a post on another forum that basically stated 'the reason there isn't much anger this time around is because we've moved on to the 'acceptance' phase of this series'...

this about sums it up. the designs for the turtles are getting worse. bebop and rocksteady look kind of cool. meghan fox buttoning her shirt.. ugh.
    more splosions.....sigh. the casuals who are not true turtle fans will just eat this up....

37. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

OMG...lol. Teenage demographic all the way. a vapid waste. No character development, just instant baddies.

I think the only cool thing is the Foot finally have awesome ninja suits...finally.

And Bebop is witty. I guess that's good...definitely not paying for this in theaters though. And I loved the turtles. Not accepting this tripe

38. E60flip345

The trailer is here in HD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5XrdYugRNQ

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  39. niennumb1

Pile of garbage. I still haven't watched the first movie and looks like I didn't miss much seeing what's (not) developed into this next chapter.

I was excited to hear about Bebop and Rocksteady. Now that I finally see them in the trailer here I feel like I'm watching a great-looking video game that I hope isn't a live-action movie, but is.

Take it away, Dr. Malcolm.....

JurassicPark_179Pyxurz.jpg

40. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

I seen the Dimension X portal and expected mech-biosuits or something floating out.... Aaaaand got a scene from Dark of the Moon

41. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

yeah, the first movie ripped off The Amazing Spiderman. this one seems to rip off Avengers.

The original portal effect from the show was pretty cool looking...why not just use that? sigh.

And the other thing that annoys me. They made the turtles so annoyingly human looking..and yet rocksteady has what looks like a REAL Rhino's head? sigh.
    can someone please ban michael bay and meghan fox from hollywood? i'm dreading the feigbusters trailer even more now.

about the only good casting choice is the arrow guy for casey jones. other than that...ugh.

42. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

edit - just took a look at the HD version. the side shot of rocksteady looks a bit better than the front shot.

43. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

I think their transformation looks depend on the mutagen and what species is getting mutated. The turtles were test subjects, I'm guessing they wanted them to be humanlike (Eric Sachs wasn't so surprised about how the turtles looked, but was surprised that they were a successful test) and Bebop and Rocksteady are humans who are being mutated into animals. So they take characteristics of their target mutation, sorta like how some versions have them change into the last thing they touched, taking on those looks and characteristics

44. niennumb1

Did anybody else think they saw Chris O'Donnell when Casey Jones first took off his mask? Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

45. seelsa73

seelsa73 Sr Member

There needs to be a thread for us "not true fans" (because apparently you're not a "true" fan if you accept any change whatsoever from the source material) so we can get actual discussion instead of a thread full of "true fans" s***ing on the movie for no other reason than it's Michael Bay produced (which some seem to think means he's actually directing).

46. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

feel free ;o). I'll make sure to stay out of that one. there's one where they are going ga ga for it on the board I just left.

And by casual fans...you know the types. the ones who can't even bother to get the characters names right, and think two of the turtles are named 'mickey and ralph'.

as for people who can't accept change from the source material...I started off with being introduced to the turtles by the Fred Wolf Series. I loved it. sometime around 1993, I found the Mirage Series. City at War, to be exact. it took time to get used to the changes, most noteably because I was coming into a series mid way, and it was SOOO drastically different from the cartoon. but eventually, as I got older, I stuck with it and now love it. The 2003 series was DRASTICALLY different from 1987.....and I loved it from the start just because it WAS a different cartoon take from what we grew up with. The Turtles where real ninjas (they beheaded the shredder for gods sake without a second thought!) the voices where perfect, the music was great, and the animation was a MAJOR upgrade from the old stodgy show. The 2007 movie came along, ANOTHER great change to a classic franchise, and I loved that one too! (Patrick Stewart, thank you!)

Then, the dark times. The Nick Series is too hit and miss for me to get into. Sean Astin is fun as Raph, but not as fun as John Campbell from 2003. Mikey is getting dumber and dumber to the point of unlikeable idiot. there is no continuity. stuff gets set up that is forgotten halfway through. it goes from serious, to comedy, to horror movie randomly. it feels like five different people are running the show and no one knows what it wants to be. I gave it a chance, but it's not for me.

The IDW series, however, is DRASTICALLY different from what's come before, yet also feels instantly familair, like any good reboot should. Hun is as he should be (not a easily beatable jackie chan rip off like in the nick series). Shredder is awesome. Cool new characters introduced that actually get screen time. Bebop and Rocksteady, (the one thing the nick show got right) are also awesome. the turtles being re incarnated humans was also a neat idea that hasn't been done before.. but the point is, it feels like CARE AND THOUGHT went into this series form the ground up. and actual PLANNING.

The thing with Bay Turtles, is it just feels like a souless cash grab. from that horrible theme song, to the bland turtle voices (stereo typical in the case of raph and don). to the butt ugly splinter design....to the confusing plot that borrows from ten different movies.....to..well, just about everything that caused the first movie to suck so bad, because it had bay's stereo typical fingerprints all over them. he isn't making this movie for turtle fans. he's making it just because he gets a paycheck and can do his usual phone in work without a bit of effort. and hire his lacky friends to do most of the job for him (re director).

sorry for the rant... but any time I see someone praising this movie, I feel it needs to be said. this franchise got me through some tough high school years, so I Hate to see it be dragged in the mud like this ;o).... and I just saw the thread from that other forum with nothing but praise, so felt like ranting ;o).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    joshvanrad and niennumb1 like this.
  47. niennumb1

I loved your post. I entirely believe that a true fan doesn't mean that you have to accept and like every single incarnation of a franchise. True fans should be very passionate about what they love and not just sit and take it up the rear and accept it.

As you very well illustrated, the turtles franchise has gone quite a few different directions over the last 30 years. OK LOTS. And I have been very ok with those changes. This has been the only incarnation I have truly had a major problem with as a true fan. And that's true. :) I still very much love my Ninja Turtles, but this is not Ninja Turtles. It looks like a bad action comedy skinned with TMNT characters.

48. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

And I understand why people get upset when the term 'true fan' pops up. I get it. there is no real definition of what a true fan is....so I try to avoid using it. but in some cases, like this movie franchise, where I See people praising it either just because it's turtles, or because they LIKE soulless action flicks (hey, ID4 was a fun romp, so they arn't all bad!), this is when I feel the need to bring the term up from time to time. it doesn't and shouldn't count as part of the turtles franchise because it's not being done by people who CARE about the franchise. you don't cast your go to actress meghan fox as the lead role, and then meld he franchise to fit her and make her the star. it just doesn't work like that.

and hell, I even liked Next Mutation to some tiny tiny degree. Venus would have been a MUCH more interesting concept if she wasn't in the same bowl as the turtles AND not a relative. Dr.Queaze was a cool villain. so was Bonesteel. Shredder however, is best not mentioned, but his SECOND episode was far better than the pilot outing..

anyway, back to the regular post ;o)....

And then I Saw this. The Art is good..but god...oh god my eyes ;o)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  49. niennumb1

I've seen less trash in a garbage can. I wonder if that was painful to the artists involved drawing that one...

50. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The turtles still look like crap.