TE or AP armor?

Nobody

I was wondering what the majority of the people here would want to
own and why?
I have a set of TE, but just currious what eyeryone else thinks.
Thanks,

Originally posted by Gytheran@Jan 18 2006, 11:06 PM
AP is recast TE... the choice is obvious
[snapback]1162580[/snapback]​

actually... not really. at least not to me.

i'd go with the AP stuff for a couple of reasons:

not as collectible, so i wouldn't be as upset if someone broke part of it on me at an event.

(if i follow the specs right), the ap is thick, glossy abs, so no painting to be done. also a good thing for an item that will see alot of abuse.

if i had a TE suit, i'd want to put it on display. if i had an AP suit, i'd put it on and wear it in a parade.

i've got the FX armor with some minor mods and an AP helmet, and that's good enough for me at this point though ;)

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Jan 18 2006, 08:38 PM
Isnt TE out of the loop?  Last I talked to him he sounded really sick. 

What is desirable is desirable, what is available is a different story I guess right?
[snapback]1162603[/snapback]​

You are correct. TE will no longer be making TK armor. A recent thread on one of the sandtrooper boards indicated that he has retired the moulds and will no longer be in the business.

AP armor is just a GF suit with what looks like a TE helmet. It looks nice though and is the best looking more cost effective alternative available at the moment. I guess you could get an AA suit but I think the AP suit looks better.

Originally posted by Nobody@Jan 18 2006, 11:39 PM
What is the price difference?
[snapback]1162688[/snapback]​

TE gloss suits were going for over 2000
TE matte kit was around 850
I am not sure about AP but I think it is around 950 or so.

If you want a TE suit you will need to find a used one since he is no longer making them. I have seen them in the junkyard every now and then.

Good Luck,

-CWR

Uhm, seems like I lost track during the last months of not coming here frequently. I know TE, I have a suit from him myself, I also know GF and AA but who is AP?

H.

Originally posted by CWR+Jan 19 2006, 09:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CWR @ Jan 19 2006, 09:07 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Nobody
@Jan 18 2006, 11:39 PM
What is the price difference?
[snapback]1162688[/snapback]​

TE gloss suits were going for over 2000
TE matte kit was around 850
I am not sure about AP but I think it is around 950 or so.

If you want a TE suit you will need to find a used one since he is no longer making them. I have seen them in the junkyard every now and then.

Good Luck,

-CWR
[snapback]1162700[/snapback]​
[/b]

AP ABS Suits are perfect for trooping and are still around to buy as far as I know.
I'd say the TE Styrene outfits are slightly more delicate and the matt styrene kits are only really okay for display - unless you don't mind repainting every time you wear it....
Incidently my matt styrene TE only cost me $550...

edited to put more stuff in...

AP is a type of ANH armor that is made from 80 gauge ABS which is thick.

It's a quality suit.

Gytheran, I don't think you chose your words fairly.. when people hear recast, they think unauthorized... I know you probably didn't mean it to sound like that. If anyone needs info on AP check the thread above.

If you stil have questions PM someone like me cause theres alot of things about stormtrooper armor that need to be kept off forums

Originally posted by Trallis@Jan 19 2006, 04:32 AM

It's a quality suit.

Gytheran, I don't think you chose your words fairly.. when people hear recast, they think unauthorized... I know you probably didn't mean it to sound like that.  If anyone needs info on AP check the thread above.

If you stil have questions PM someone like me cause theres alot of things about stormtrooper armor that need to be kept off forums
[snapback]1162713[/snapback]​

Agreed....

I've just rec'd my AP suit and after owning a few FX suits and examining a TE in person....I gotta say that, for me, the AP kit is the best choice. Personally, I don't need to have all of the bumps etc on the armor...the hyper screen accuracy. If that's your thing....great...but I 'm not looking for bumps and drips. Yes, the AP kit has been cleaned up....but I prefer the slightly idealized yet accurate look.

However, the real cincher for me is the thickness of the pull....incredible. I could play football in this thing. :p By comparison, the TE suit that I had examined seemed awfully thin......a little too delicate for my tastes. Mind you, the detail was very sharp....

I believe this kit is very durable and will stand up well over time. I may wear it once in awhile (if I can shoehorn it on me) but it will mostly be for display. Yes, it may not be quite as sharp as the TE (although I think it's very close)....but I'll take a thicker pull over *slightly* less detail....

And to top it all off the seller is fantastic to deal with. Prompt comms...I never once wondered what the status of my order was....usually answered e-mails the same day, typically within a few hours....very fair to deal with. I wish all of my transactions went this smoothly....

All in all....I highly recommend the AP kit....the best value out there IMHO considering what you get for your money....

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 19 2006, 01:22 PM

And to top it all off the seller is fantastic to deal with. Prompt comms...I never once wondered what the status of my order was....usually answered e-mails the same day, typically within a few hours....very fair to deal with. I wish all of my transactions went this smoothly....
[snapback]1162742[/snapback]​

So who is the seller? Like to shoot me a PM?

Thanks.

H.

TE Armor is no longer available and his molds have been sold to an undisclosed person. In time that person will begin to make armor. Be it HIPS or ABS plastic is up to him.

You have to remember that the thicker the ABS plastic, the less accurate the finish product will be.

On the other hand, the thinner the plastic, the greater the detail of the product, but of course more fragile.

Originally posted by Trallis@Jan 19 2006, 09:32 AM

It's a quality suit.
[snip]
[snapback]1162713[/snapback]​

Originally posted by TK1536@Jan 19 2006, 07:46 AM
TE Armor is no longer available and his molds have been sold to an undisclosed person. In time that person will begin to make armor. Be it HIPS or ABS plastic is up to him.
[snapback]1162746[/snapback]​

That's a bummer, I cant imagine someone doing it better than TE as far as sharpness goes

.....whatever kit you get, make sure to upgrade the mic tips to Keith's Hovi Mix cast tips. I just got mine today......they are fantastic. Thanks Keith. :thumbsup

IMG_0172.jpg

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 19 2006, 05:14 PM
.....whatever kit you get, make sure to upgrade the mic tips to Keith's Hovi Mix cast tips. I just got mine today......they are fantastic. Thanks Keith. :thumbsup

IMG_0172.jpg

[snapback]1163122[/snapback]​
I'll second that. :thumbsup :thumbsup

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back