TE or AP armor?

Originally posted by Bountyhunter Niko@Jan 21 2006, 07:20 AM
Great Thread.  :)

I am tossing up between the AP and the AA personally. Only because IÂ’m to poor for a TE. :(
[snapback]1164433[/snapback]​

No contest IMO...AP has it all over AA...again..."my opinion". :)

Steve

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster+Jan 22 2006, 01:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ Jan 22 2006, 01:42 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Bountyhunter Niko
@Jan 21 2006, 07:20 AM
Great Thread.  :)

I am tossing up between the AP and the AA personally. Only because IÂ’m to poor for a TE. :(
[snapback]1164433[/snapback]​

No contest IMO...AP has it all over AA...again..."my opinion". :)

Steve
[snapback]1165242[/snapback]​
[/b]

110% Agreed.....

...despite the current controversy...the AA looks like a nice kit....just way too pricey IMHO.

I have a some abs glue here and there on my AP armour. I think I'm just going to sand, fill and paint the whole thing which would take care of it. I wanted a flat finish anyway.

I'm also having some difficulty glueing the strips on the arms and legs. I've been heating the plastic to bend it whatever way. It's not that easy when you use a kitchen stove :lol . I just need some practice with the "art" of it.

Anyone have an oppinion on this?

Originally posted by altername@Jan 22 2006, 04:57 PM
I have a some abs glue here and there on my AP armour. I think I'm just going to sand, fill and paint the whole thing which would take care of it. I wanted a flat finish anyway.

I'm also having some difficulty glueing the strips on the arms and legs. I've been heating the plastic to bend it whatever way. It's not that easy when you use a kitchen stove  :lol . I just need some practice with the "art" of it.

Anyone have an oppinion on this?
[snapback]1165360[/snapback]​

...Clutch has a great assembly tutorial in the archive.....lotsa pix...

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=92789

AP or TE?? Absolutely no contest in my humble opinion. :) AP all the way. Its ABS and sharper than any thinner Styrene suit I ever saw and hell of alot durable. No paint needed either. Its a beautiful gloss white too. Im not sure where this accuracy issue comes from but the AP is as accurate as it gets. :)

Originally posted by Darth Infamous@Jan 22 2006, 02:12 PM
AP or TE?? Absolutely no contest in my humble opinion. :) AP all the way. Its ABS and sharper than any thinner Styrene suit I ever saw and hell of alot durable. No paint needed either. Its a beautiful gloss white too. Im not sure where this accuracy issue comes from but the AP is as accurate as it gets. :)
[snapback]1165374[/snapback]​

Nope, sorry. Too many missing parts.. Nice looking, sure.. Accurate? Not even close really. But again, since TE has retired, go with an AP. Sharper than a TE suit? The you have not seen his latest, or I mean, his last suits. They are jaw dropping detailed.

Besides, AP/GF and the others ALL stem from the TE suits. That cannot be denied. End of ramble.

JJ

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax+Jan 22 2006, 11:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jumpin Jax @ Jan 22 2006, 11:24 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Infamous
@Jan 22 2006, 02:12 PM

Nope, sorry. Too many missing parts.. Nice looking, sure.. Accurate? Not even close really. But again, since TE has retired, go with an AP. Sharper than a TE suit? The you have not seen his latest, or I mean, his last suits. They are jaw dropping detailed.

Besides, AP/GF and the others ALL stem from the TE suits. That cannot be denied. End of ramble.

JJ
[snapback]1165432[/snapback]​
[/b]

I own a GF which I believe has the same / similar lineage as the AP and it is a very nice suit no denying that.

I also just recieved one of the last suits TE made and IMHO the TE is by far a better detailed more accurate suit.

Cheers Chris.

Originally posted by voice in the crowd+Jan 22 2006, 06:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(voice in the crowd @ Jan 22 2006, 06:52 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 22 2006, 11:24 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Infamous
@Jan 22 2006, 02:12 PM

JJ

I own a GF which I believe has the same / similar lineage as the AP and it is a very nice suit no denying that.

I also just recieved one of the last suits TE made and IMHO the TE is by far a better detailed more accurate suit.

Cheers Chris.
[snapback]1165449[/snapback]​
[/b]

...it'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison as to why the TE is supposedly better detailed and more accurate than the AP kit...

Originally posted by Seth B+Jan 19 2006, 06:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Seth B @ Jan 19 2006, 06:51 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 19 2006, 05:14 PM
.....whatever kit you get, make sure to upgrade the mic tips to Keith's Hovi Mix cast tips. I just got mine today......they are fantastic. Thanks Keith. :thumbsup

IMG_0172.jpg

[snapback]1163122[/snapback]​
I'll second that. :thumbsup :thumbsup
[snapback]1163212[/snapback]​
[/b]

Could someone PM me with info on these mic tips?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Jumpin Jax@Jan 22 2006, 06:24 PM

JJ

I'll concede to that much.

Steve

I have yet to own an AP but I would like one for trooping. I have owned one GF suit prior to AP and 3 TE suits and the latest ones are definitely much more accurate than the GF I had.
One thing the GF lacked was the illusion of thickness lines. Did the AP suit correct that? Also, I wonder if the AP suit still uses the fabricated parts that TE later got screen pulls from. I noticed the AP shoulders alone dont look like the screen ones. What about the other forearm and shin parts? I know those were updated with actual parts much later than the GF era. The AP seems to have new shoulder to back connectors too. The AP suit looks really good to me, but not accurate. I think its like having the ultimate lifesize Marmit costume. The same could be said about the AA but I'd prefer the AP for the helmet alone. The helmet on the AP looks nice but something is different about the cap and back. The shape seems wonky, but not so much that it bothers me like other helmets.

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 23 2006, 12:12 AM
...it'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison as to why the TE is supposedly better detailed and more accurate than the AP kit...

I will be home in Scotland next week and if time allows I will try to get pics taken of the TE kit I bought next to my GF. It depends on how busy I am as I am only home for three days.

Hedjii72 I can also say confidently that Keith's mic tips are the absolute mutts nuts he is a member of this forum and a great guy to deal with here are his details http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showuser=3293.

Cheers Chris.

VITC.....thanks, that would be great to see what the differences are. All I seem to see is that "Yeah, the TE kit is more accurate...." I'd actually like to see what apparently makes it more accurate....

Andy....Keith's mic tips are cast from Hovi Mix tips....very clean casts and very well finished. You can even clearly read the script on the sides. Highly recommend them. :thumbsup

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 22 2006, 07:11 PM
VITC.....thanks, that would be great to see what the differences are. All I seem to see is that "Yeah, the TE kit is more accurate...." I'd actually like to see what apparently makes it more accurate....

Andy....Keith's mic tips are cast from Hovi Mix tips....very clean casts and very well finished. You can even clearly read the script on the sides. Highly recommend them. :thumbsup
[snapback]1165614[/snapback]​

The fact that the missing parts are all on the TE suit and none others make it more accurate hands down there to begin with. Also the seperate molds for the butt and kidney plates are the keys as well. The others form it as one piece and then cut it.. NOT accruate at all for ANH. Also the legs have MUCH more detail aound the tops of the lowers, and bottoms of the thighs. Pics will show this...

JJ

I was lucky enough to get hold of one of the last sets TE made and it`s much sharper than the AP and not thin at all.It`s actually quite sturdy.Also TE`s last suits were upgraded with screen parts that are missing on the old TE suits and GF molds.Both are sweet suits but in my opinion if I had only one choice it would be the TE. :)

Also I too think Keith`s mic tips are the s#*t.Beutifully cast. :thumbsup

Ben

I have had both a GF and a TE. I got rid of the GF to get the TE suit if that tells you anything. I now have a TE gloss suit and four TE helmets. There has never been a better Stormtrooper suit and never will be unless LucasFilm has new moulds made off the existing suits in the archives (which will never happen). TE's work was second to none and his last set of armor was as accurate as your going to get.

The AP suit is nice (better than an AA which appears to be cast from TE's earlier suits). The AA suit is O.K. but for the price I would say it's an easy choice (AP for sure). If I were looking for another suit I would get an AP but only if I could not source another set of TE armor.

Originally posted by Hedjii72@Jan 23 2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info on Keith's mic tips, guys.

Andy
[snapback]1165885[/snapback]​

Can't go wrong with the AP. Price is right. Seller is awesome to deal with.....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back