TE or AP armor?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Nobody, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Nobody

Nobody Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the majority of the people here would want to
    own and why?
    I have a set of TE, but just currious what eyeryone else thinks.
    Thanks,

2. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

AP is recast TE... the choice is obvious

3. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

actually... not really. at least not to me.

i'd go with the AP stuff for a couple of reasons:

not as collectible, so i wouldn't be as upset if someone broke part of it on me at an event.

(if i follow the specs right), the ap is thick, glossy abs, so no painting to be done. also a good thing for an item that will see alot of abuse.

if i had a TE suit, i'd want to put it on display. if i had an AP suit, i'd put it on and wear it in a parade.

i've got the FX armor with some minor mods and an AP helmet, and that's good enough for me at this point though ;)

4. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

5. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

Isnt TE out of the loop? Last I talked to him he sounded really sick.

What is desirable is desirable, what is available is a different story I guess right?

6. CWR

CWR Active Member

You are correct. TE will no longer be making TK armor. A recent thread on one of the sandtrooper boards indicated that he has retired the moulds and will no longer be in the business.

AP armor is just a GF suit with what looks like a TE helmet. It looks nice though and is the best looking more cost effective alternative available at the moment. I guess you could get an AA suit but I think the AP suit looks better.

7. Nobody

Nobody Well-Known Member

What is the price difference?

8. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TE any day.More accurate and not idealised like the AP.

Ben

9. CWR

CWR Active Member

TE gloss suits were going for over 2000
    TE matte kit was around 850
    I am not sure about AP but I think it is around 950 or so.

If you want a TE suit you will need to find a used one since he is no longer making them. I have seen them in the junkyard every now and then.

Good Luck,

-CWR

10. DarthMut

DarthMut New Member

Uhm, seems like I lost track during the last months of not coming here frequently. I know TE, I have a suit from him myself, I also know GF and AA but who is AP?

H.

11. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

AP ABS Suits are perfect for trooping and are still around to buy as far as I know.
    I'd say the TE Styrene outfits are slightly more delicate and the matt styrene kits are only really okay for display - unless you don't mind repainting every time you wear it....
    Incidently my matt styrene TE only cost me $550...

edited to put more stuff in...

12. Cookiee Monsta

Cookiee Monsta Well-Known Member

I'ld like to know as well, I've heard of the others but not of AP??

13. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

AP is a type of ANH armor that is made from 80 gauge ABS which is thick.

It's a quality suit.

Gytheran, I don't think you chose your words fairly.. when people hear recast, they think unauthorized... I know you probably didn't mean it to sound like that. If anyone needs info on AP check the thread above.

If you stil have questions PM someone like me cause theres alot of things about stormtrooper armor that need to be kept off forums

14. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Agreed....

I've just rec'd my AP suit and after owning a few FX suits and examining a TE in person....I gotta say that, for me, the AP kit is the best choice. Personally, I don't need to have all of the bumps etc on the armor...the hyper screen accuracy. If that's your thing....great...but I 'm not looking for bumps and drips. Yes, the AP kit has been cleaned up....but I prefer the slightly idealized yet accurate look.

However, the real cincher for me is the thickness of the pull....incredible. I could play football in this thing. :p By comparison, the TE suit that I had examined seemed awfully thin......a little too delicate for my tastes. Mind you, the detail was very sharp....

I believe this kit is very durable and will stand up well over time. I may wear it once in awhile (if I can shoehorn it on me) but it will mostly be for display. Yes, it may not be quite as sharp as the TE (although I think it's very close)....but I'll take a thicker pull over *slightly* less detail....

And to top it all off the seller is fantastic to deal with. Prompt comms...I never once wondered what the status of my order was....usually answered e-mails the same day, typically within a few hours....very fair to deal with. I wish all of my transactions went this smoothly....

All in all....I highly recommend the AP kit....the best value out there IMHO considering what you get for your money....

15. DarthMut

DarthMut New Member

So who is the seller? Like to shoot me a PM?

Thanks.

H.

16. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

TE Armor is no longer available and his molds have been sold to an undisclosed person. In time that person will begin to make armor. Be it HIPS or ABS plastic is up to him.

17. carves

carves Well-Known Member

You have to remember that the thicker the ABS plastic, the less accurate the finish product will be.

On the other hand, the thinner the plastic, the greater the detail of the product, but of course more fragile.

18. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

That's a bummer, I cant imagine someone doing it better than TE as far as sharpness goes

19. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

.....whatever kit you get, make sure to upgrade the mic tips to Keith's Hovi Mix cast tips. I just got mine today......they are fantastic. Thanks Keith. :thumbsup

[​IMG]

20. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

I'll second that. :thumbsup :thumbsup

21. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

What is the basis for the AP armor?

22. LDR

LDR Sr Member

I heard it was a GF suit.

I got mine about a week ago. All packed up still, will start it one day. Looks great, and comes with everything you need to put it all together.

Very pleasant experience with AP, no problems at all.

23. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Not sure where you got your prices.

I was qouted $1100 for a gloss suit by TE when my styrene kit was ordered..
    TE's matte styrene kit was $550 shipped....

That is what I paid for my styrene kit last year.

Lynn

24. SethB6025

Toward the end his prices were a little higher.

25. CWR

CWR Active Member

I get my information directly from Matt. If you paid 550, you got a good deal. I would have bought two if I knew Matt was selling them so cheap. They were 850 as long as I can remember (that's the price I was given). I also know that he was selling gloss for 1500 and up to 2500 depending on how urgent you wanted it. I am 100 % sure of this so if you got a better deal than that you should feel fortunate. It does not matter how much they were though. They are non longer available. I did find out that the AP armor is not 950, it is 799 plus shipping.

26. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

like Faberge. How true.

27. Nobody

Nobody Well-Known Member

I already own a TE suit but I'm debating selling it and getting something better for trooping.
    What would you do?

28. CWR

CWR Active Member

Keep the TE armor on a mannequin and buy the AP for trooping. TE armor is still more accurate.

29. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Interesting,
    I ordered mine mid/late summer '04 and got it in late winter '05.
    I knew of atleast three others that paid the same as I did in that same time frame.

I finally ended up selling mine to get a MR AT-AT V1 as I wanted my collection to go into a different direction.

Lynn

30. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I think the less you want to do something, the more you want to charge. I got a quote from TE late in the game. He said 3K. :eek

31. CWR

CWR Active Member

Lynn,

They might have been cheaper at that time. I got my quotes in the fall of 04 and summer of 05.

32. hansoloway

hansoloway New Member

Yeah, apparently TE had no set price. Mine was $700 early last year.

33. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Yikes.......well, now I'm even more satisfied with my AP kit.....slightly more detail is not worth over double the $ to me.....

34. JBReplicas

JBReplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mine was $850

35. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Ummm,nope...GF :D and not recast....

36. CWR

CWR Active Member

From what I understand AP is using GF's moulds (I don't know this for sure but it looks like it). They seem to have made some minor changes to the ab/cod piece to extend the vertical line above the ab detail but other than that the pieces look the same. I was told the new suits are a bit sharper due to using a better industrial Vacuum forming machine. I don't think you could go wrong with either an AP or TE suit.

37. SethB6025

According to TE, AP bought GF's molds.

38. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

That's good to know.

39. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Great Thread. :)

I am tossing up between the AP and the AA personally. Only because IÂ’m to poor for a TE. :(

40. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Can i just chime in (sort of off topic), how easy is it to repair suits as in craks holes yellowing etc, is it just a case of epoxying, sanding and painting, how does paint stand up to flexing?

41. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

No contest IMO...AP has it all over AA...again..."my opinion". :)

Steve

42. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

110% Agreed.....

...despite the current controversy...the AA looks like a nice kit....just way too pricey IMHO.

43. altername

altername Well-Known Member

I have a some abs glue here and there on my AP armour. I think I'm just going to sand, fill and paint the whole thing which would take care of it. I wanted a flat finish anyway.

I'm also having some difficulty glueing the strips on the arms and legs. I've been heating the plastic to bend it whatever way. It's not that easy when you use a kitchen stove :lol . I just need some practice with the "art" of it.

Anyone have an oppinion on this?

44. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...Clutch has a great assembly tutorial in the archive.....lotsa pix...

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=92789

45. Darth Infamous

Darth Infamous Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

AP or TE?? Absolutely no contest in my humble opinion. :) AP all the way. Its ABS and sharper than any thinner Styrene suit I ever saw and hell of alot durable. No paint needed either. Its a beautiful gloss white too. Im not sure where this accuracy issue comes from but the AP is as accurate as it gets. :)

46. Jumpin Jax

Jumpin Jax Sr Member

Nope, sorry. Too many missing parts.. Nice looking, sure.. Accurate? Not even close really. But again, since TE has retired, go with an AP. Sharper than a TE suit? The you have not seen his latest, or I mean, his last suits. They are jaw dropping detailed.

Besides, AP/GF and the others ALL stem from the TE suits. That cannot be denied. End of ramble.

JJ

47. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

I own a GF which I believe has the same / similar lineage as the AP and it is a very nice suit no denying that.

I also just recieved one of the last suits TE made and IMHO the TE is by far a better detailed more accurate suit.

Cheers Chris.

48. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...it'd be interesting to see a side by side comparison as to why the TE is supposedly better detailed and more accurate than the AP kit...

49. Hedjii72

Hedjii72 Sr Member

Could someone PM me with info on these mic tips?

Thanks.

50. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

I'll concede to that much.

Steve