Taun Taun Build

Head is about 95% complete, I wanted to share how it looks at this stage. I've been trying to decide if I should add any colour or just leave it grey. Thoughts? I've considered adding a bit of brown but I'm not sure if I should bother.

I'll have the eyes in this weekend and then I can add the final touches like eyelids. My boys have gotten really excited seeing me work on the head and they can't wait to walk around the neighbourhood with me. One will be a stormtrooper and the other Obi Wan - not homemade costumes though, they don't have the patience yet to sit still long enough for me to make them one :)

If all goes as planned, I might have some shots up this weekend of the body completed.

The iphone makes the skin look kind of blue and really washes the colour out of the horns.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.ph...ent.php?attachmentid=70932&stc=1&d=1318575075

The head is done! I should be able to get it mounted shortly and take the whole thing out for a walk. I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially on the budget I had.

I was all suited up as Luke last night for our kid's Halloween party. Once my wife uploads the pictures, I'll stick one up here so you can see how that turned out as well.
P2060003 - YouTube

Got a chance to suit up and take it for a little walk yesterday! I have a few adjustments to make in order for it to go a bit smoother so I'll be stuck in the garage for at least one more night before this weekend. My wife posted the head video on her facebook and the blinking eyes have everyone excited to see it in person. For the people who have come by to see it, they always laugh when she decides to wink at them, lol.

The board is set up to blink in a random pattern so that it seems more natural. As well, the winking is done at random times and can happen with either eye.

Wow is all I have to say. I just got back from the first of 2 parties this weekend, this one was the biggest one here in Edmonton and I took first place with her!

I walked away with a very hefty prize too - 5 grand and a $10,000 ATV. This makes it very easy to convince my wife that the last 3 months were well worth it. It will also improve my chances of convincing her that next year I may need to do the same thing!

Well it's 2am here, gonna get some sleep since I need to be in it for about 3 hrs again tomorrow. I'll get some pics up soon.http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72806&stc=1&d=1319908201

Last edited:
So party #2 is in the bag and I am excited to say that I took top prize there as well :) Not nearly as big as Friday, but I still won a thousand dollars. It was a smaller venue so once it started to fill up, I wasn't able to walk around as much as I would have liked to. This build has been so much fun. My wife took some video of people reacting to the eyes - it was awesome to see people's faces when it would wink at them.

More than once this weekend I had people accuse me of one of 2 things - sitting on someone's shoulders or controlling it like a robot. To be honest, I thought for sure people would realize that the "human" legs were fake and it would be simple enough to figure out that I was on stilts. I also had a few who thought I was literally 8 ft tall.

Once I get the files off the camera, I'll post some stuff here. Tomorrow night in the neighbourhood is going to be awesome. One local radio station wants to do an interview with me.

And check this out, one of Canada's biggest bands - Finger Eleven (not sure how many of you have heard of them) talked about my costume live on the radio! They were headlining the Friday night party we were at.

Once I get the files off the camera, I'll post some stuff here. Tomorrow night in the neighbourhood is going to be awesome. One local radio station wants to do an interview with me.

Absolutely spectacular!! Seriously looking forward to the other pics and vid! Congrats on a job well done! :thumbsup

BTW...don't forget to flog the RPF in the radio interview. :lol

Hey, thats awesome man. Which parties did you go to?

I won the Bear's Halloween Howler at the Shaw Conference Centre and the Bounce's Halloween Thriller at the Edmonton Event Centre.

BTW...don't forget to flog the RPF in the radio interview

I'll do what I can. As long as they don't edit it out, I'll be sure to give the RPF a plug during the tv interview :thumbsup

I really appreciate all the support from this forum. This is an absolutely fantastic group and I'm really excited to see all the entries for the RPF costume contest.

So the station never did end up showing up, even after they confirmed with me and I left work early :(

However, the costume was a huge success while taking the boys out trick or treating - I wound up wearing it for almost 3 hrs that night.

My goal is to make the Luke outfit more accurate as I plan on trying to take it to the comic con in Calgary next April.

My wife still has yet to give me the memory card with the other pics and videos. I hope to get more up here shortly.

Oh, and before I forget, like I mentioned first post, I sat down and tallied up the receipts - I`m into the costume for a little under $250 (the electronics for the eyes were a Christmas gift last year so I didn`t count them).

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73787&stc=1&d=1320541461

Keep in mind, that was my cost, not necessarily the cost to duplicate this costume. I was given the conduit for free and I was able to snag a 50% off groupon for the fur and other fabric :)

I did a lot of thrift store searching to complete the Luke suit and the local dollar store provided me with glue, velcro, paint, dog leashes, etc.

I was able to find a lot of the rest of the necessary hardware in my garage so it really helped to keep my trips to home depot minimal and the rest of my costs down.

If I had to purchase everything outright and not on sale, I would estimate the build to be at least 500+

Absolutely incredible. I wish the build thread had been linked to the Hallowe'en contest - once I saw the work put into this costume I wished I could have changed my vote!!!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back