Tan's Hardware Graflexes

Are you able to post up dimensions of this plastruct track? I’m curious if you split it to make two rows of T track, or use the full height and just trim one side of the H

It reminds me of the Energizer Bunny saber track!
Just cut off one side at full height.

Amazing. It inspired me to really give it a go this weekend. Thanks!

What would you recommend for making or finding a suitable "graflex" clamp?

Amazing. It inspired me to really give it a go this weekend. Thanks!

What would you recommend for making or finding a suitable "graflex" clamp?
Thanks. Unfortunately there's no simple solution to the clamp. I'd say get pack of step flashing, a pair of needle nose pliers with a long straight edge, and start bending!

The clamp I acquired didn't have the bars or a lever, so I had to supply my own.
image.jpeg

Here's the aluminum sheet you want. It's thin enough to bend easily, and cheap enough to make a few mistakes. I haven't bought it in a while, but it should still be available at Home Depot.
image.jpeg

Changed my mind again! I'm going back to the original plan of making the flashgun replica with the chrome tube and replica parts. I've also picked up some casting materials (resin and casting silicone from Hobby Lobby), so I'll probably try knocking off a few resin copies of the red button assembly for all the purely hardware versions of the venerable Graflex. Unfortunately the forum seems to have updated beyond my old iPhone 4's ability to post, so it'll have to wait until I upgrade to post pics again. Til then...

Nice work, You can buy, or find, brushed stainless steel tube that looks exactly like a Graflex tube.
I picked up a handicap rail at a thrift shop for 3 bucks.

Nice work, You can buy, or find, brushed stainless steel tube that looks exactly like a Graflex tube.
I picked up a handicap rail at a thrift shop for 3 bucks.
I've seen those at hardware stores, but I've never been lucky enough to find one in a thrift shop or for that price! They do look pretty good, but at the momemt I've got a backlog of aluminum tubes I got for a perfect price (free!), and they're a better match to the clamps I fabricate, which are also aluminum. The chrome tube pictured above should be a better match to the replica clamp once I hit it with a Scotchbrite pad, which will give it a credible brushed finish. But thanks for the heads up.

I dug my sabre out of storage and the handicap rail tube is about a 16th of an inch smaller in diameter to a Graflex.

Don’t mean to highjack your thread, but it helped me when I needed to make some replacement clamp bars

So I thought it would belong here.

A while ago I acquired some graflex parts, mainly a top, bottom and a few clamps, but there were quite a fair bit that was missing, the main part was the bulb socket, though I did get the brass connector.

My solution was to make my own, I found these 38mm clamp cups, or adjustable feet that looked a close match with a little modification, I was also able to add a sping aswell

IMG_6789.jpeg

IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_7107.jpeg

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7149.jpeg

IMG_7157.jpeg

I dug my sabre out of storage and the handicap rail tube is about a 16th of an inch smaller in diameter to a Graflex.
I managed to pick one up for the perfect price...Free! It's 1.5 inches and is a good match, in size and finish, to the replica clamp I acquired. I'll be using that for the flash gun replica (w/ vintage reflector). The chrome sink pipe originally sourced for the project is going to a "retro-style" version which calls back to the Parks and hardware versions of the 90's that featured the close enough hardware like those spring clip for ears.

IMG_20240117_202310.jpg

The grab bar tube with the clamp attached. The other tube is a scrap of plumbing pipe with the brushed metal look applied with a Scotch Brite pad.

Attachments

• IMG_20240117_202310.jpg
    IMG_20240117_202310.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Okay, I've decided to cheat a little. I've acquired some 3-D printed red buttons (thanks Astyanax), which I plan on using to upgrade my previous aluminum builds and use for future builds.

On a semi related note: I'm also in the process of building an Anakin ROTS. How does the red (copper) button compare in size to the Graflex version?

I finally got ahold of the last piece in the DIY Graflex puzzle... A shoulder puller! (Thanks Corranhornjje) I did a test on some scrap aluminum tube, and the result is promising.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back