T2 Phased Plasma Rifle (now painted and weathered!)

Some use filler or glazing putty. I just use JB Weld Kwik and a razor blade. I did not find any pin holes in mine that needed to be fixed.

I guess I'm just anal? ;) When I think about it, I only have one coat of primer on it. I still have one more coat of primer to put on it, and two dull aluminum coats, then the final coat of primer to wipe off with mineral spirits. The holes are tiny, like push-pin size.

I know you can't tell by these pictures, but, Shawn's is so awesome, straight lines, sharp, the kind of detail Sky Net would have. Sideshow, obviously made by a human. :)

In the Year of Darkness, 2029, the rulers of this planet devised the ultimate plan. They would reshape the Future by changing the Past. The plan required something that felt no pity. No pain. No fear. Something unstoppable. They created 'MORGANTHIRTEEN'

Disaster. I ruined it. Sprayed the 2nd coat outside. It's a sunny day. I was in the shade, but got called away. By the time I got back, the kit was badly deformed. I didn't realize that the foam would expand under heat. Sun, kit painted black, it just soaked up all the heat and bubbled out. I sold my Aliens Queen 1:4 scale bust to fund this purchase, now the kit is gone, the Queen is gone. I am absolutely disgusted and it's worse than flushing the money down the toilet. So ticked off at myself.

NO WAY!!!! Perhaps you can salvage it. Take some pics. We can brainstorm to see what can be done.

Sunlight and dark paint mean HOT parts. I never paid out in the sunlight.

Richard,

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. A red flag would've gone up as soon as I read that you were going to take it outside.

All resins will react poorly with high heat/direct sunlight. I should've warned you about this when you mentioned you hadn't had a lot of experience with resin kits this big. And it wasn't the foam that expanded, it was the air inside the foam that expanded as it started to heat up. This is why all the rotocast pieces have some sort of hole in them, to allow that air to escape without pushing out the resin walls.

But, don't despair. I'm in New York for the next few days, but when I get back home I'll send you another kit, no charge. I stand by my stuff, and like I said I should've given you more information at the outset. We'll just consider it a lesson learned (for both of us!).

Shawn

That is way to generous, not your fault. It was my negligence. I should have put it in the garage, but didn't. I don't what to say, but I'll try my best to pay you the full amount when I can.

Shawn, what can we say but YOUR THE MAN!

Note to self: Don't leave in the sun or the self destruct will be activated.

More like note to me. I didn't handle this well. I tried to see if I can salvage some parts, not with the glue I used. I got so frustrated with it, I just put it in the garbage. My wife doesn't understand, but ruining it really upset me. I was taking my time, being careful and ah hell. I'm really angry with myself.

More like note to me. I didn't handle this well. I tried to see if I can salvage some parts, not with the glue I used. I got so frustrated with it, I just put it in the garbage. My wife doesn't understand, but ruining it really upset me. I was taking my time, being careful and ah hell. I'm really angry with myself.

Bro, you just gotta let it go. Everyone's been where you are right now, and while it's never fun, at least this time you get a do-over. Just chalk it up as experience and move on.

Rich, I'm sure he was just being cheeky. :)

Do you feel like taking/posting pictures of how it looks now?

I'm not going to take pictures. I'm embarrassed enough, I'm not going to the trash to dig out. What I am going to do is pay Shawn for another one around the 21st of this month. For me, I really appreciate his kindness, generosity and skills, but in my mind, he was not responsible for anything that happens after successful delivery. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but I'm going to shut up now. I learned a lot from this. I wasn't trying to make drama.

Edit - Shawn and I spoke on the phone. He has a cool voice. When I can, I'll definitely buy his future products, even if it something I don't collect. I'll just give it to a friend who collects that kind of stuff as a gift. Thank you Shawn.

Next time I won't make such a big deal. I'll post a completed picture/comparison with Sideshow's version.

I owe you big time Shawn.

I did try to salvage some parts like the large barrel and the short one, but when I glued them I really glued them in there. The large barrel cracked and the smaller one just bent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, these things happen to all of us dont worry about it. Why dont you dig it out of the trash and then use it to practice all the techniques discussed on this board. You may be suprised at what you can achieve.

Then you can use the knowledge gained to work on whatever deal you have sorted with Shawn.

Top marks to Shawn as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back