T-Rex sculpt for puppet WIP

Great job!
"Silicone is very heavy! I need to make a new core and reduce the skin thickness by a lot."
That´s why foam latex is still the standard for tv puppets. Imagine manipulating a heavy one for hours on a set. Back and arm ache.
Do you know about Soma Foama?. It´s platinum silicone foam. Still heavier than foam latex and PU foam.Not saying it would work for something that size. but an interesting material (needs silicone skin).

Great job!
"Silicone is very heavy! I need to make a new core and reduce the skin thickness by a lot."
That´s why foam latex is still the standard for tv puppets. Imagine manipulating a heavy one for hours on a set. Back and arm ache.
Do you know about Soma Foama?. It´s platinum silicone foam. Still heavier than foam latex and PU foam.Not saying it would work for something that size. but an interesting material (needs silicone skin).

Thank you for the Soma Foama tip! I will check it out.

I could barely keep my arm up holding the skin like a puppet long enough to take these few pictures! Silicone is surprisingly heavy! The next version will be much thinner with a power mesh backing.

Dude that first pull is fantastic! love the different color tones you worked into the silicone! excellent job, looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! I really enjoy following your fantastic projects!

It looks great! Very nice sculpture. I'm looking forward to seeing it move.

Thanks! I hope to get to a usable version soon.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to post comments and suggestions!

Test silicone cast with new thicker core. All the detail was captured with a straight gravity pour of Dragon Skin NV (no bleeder holes or vents). I really love Dragon Skin NV! This cast is lighter than the first one, but I still very heavy.
DSC09498 (1).JPG
I made this core with Task 15, which was much easier to rotocast than the last one I tried with 65D.

Apparently the dino is big enough to also be a mask!
DSC09485 (1).JPG
DSC09488 (1).JPG

Here is a first casting of the eyeball in Smooth-On Task 15 resin.
DSC09492 (1).JPG

Next up I will try to pull the real one with full coloring and detail. I guess it is time to learn how to patch and paint silicone.
  • Any tips, guys?

Three failed casting attempts over the weekend. Silicone is EXPENSIVE to waste! Too hot and it cured too fast leaving too many bubbles and thin areas to fix.

Anyway, here is the best version so far. Luckily, Luke even likes the failures. Hopefully the next cast works. Then on to sculpting teeth.

Last edited:
Okay, I finally got a skin I could patch enough to use... so here is the silicone skin.

Lately I have seen a number of things online saying T-Rex might have had orange coloring above his eyes, so we went with that idea. I painted many different colored print coat areas of Smooth-On Dragon Skin 10 Med in the mold for the basic coloring and then poured the rest with Dragon Skin 10 NV.

I did my best to seam and patch the skin -which I found out I am VERY bad at and reinforced the thin/bad areas. Lastly, I added more detailed coloring by airbrushing Psycho Paint with Silc Pig colors through a Paasche H airbrush.

I signed up for a Stan Winston school monthly account and found the videos to be very helpful. This skin would have been ruined without the help the silicone seeming and painting videos provided.

It has taken almost exactly a year to get this far.

Now on to sculpting teeth and a mouth interior!

Darn it not working, it's still gorgeous work. Wishing a speedy resolution to annoying issues.

I appreciate the well wishes!

Teeth look formidable!

All the research you do for your projects inspired me to research T-Rex teeth a bit. Apparently they were a specific shape and had serrations, so I modeled a bunch a serrated teeth which turned out to be a pain to cast without tons of bubbles. Anyway, I didn't get the teeth painted in time for Halloween, and plan to do an updated version that better fit the jaws. I'm going to finish this darn puppet over the winter no matter what!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back