Sylvie (Loki series) costume piece ID’s

This group has been fantastic! Thank you for all the resources and reference images. As I’m not a seamstress, I’ve been hunting for pants that might work.

Based on the recent set photos Sophia posted, I think these might be really close. Belt is removable and since I’m short I think the length will still hit the boots right.

ZANZEA-Women-High-Waist-Belt-Pocket-Pants-Casual-Leopard-Printing-Solid-Wrap-Trousers

what do y’all think?
With some . modification those could definit work!

Also I was randomly browsing Etsy and came across some pretty decent looking wig options. I still want to wait and see the WiF version when it drops but options are nice!

On the topic of pants and wigs, I want to share what I'm doing for DragonCon in case it helps anyone!

Since I don't have time to make my own pants right now, I got a pair a harem pants off Amazon and purchased 1 size bigger than normal. I put them on, twisted the waistband to my right (yeah it feels a little weird, but I don't care lol), and I just started pinning and tacking, and more pinning and tacking. After that, I made the legs skinnier. Then, I folded the waistband down and sewed again which helps hide all of the weird tacks that I had just sewn. Considering my time crunch, I think this is a huge success for now!

My phone's camera can't handle black too well for some dumb reason, but hopefully these show the results.

I'm a huge fan of lacefront wigs so mine is from PoseWigs.com. I can't find the exact one on their site unfortunately, but I've attached a picture. However, this newer option of theirs may even be better because it has a center part. It would simply need a haircut and maybe bigger curls:

Attachments

• IMG_6762.jpg
    IMG_6762.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_6767.jpg
    IMG_6767.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_6771.JPG
    IMG_6771.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 208
Nice! Which black Angelus paint are you going to use for the boot? Post a photo when finished?
Really thrilled with how these came out! Used two coats of Angelus black on the uppers and two coats of Angelus Walk on Black for the soles. Plan on applying some acrylic finisher once everything is totally dry. Can’t speak to how they’re going to hold up out in the wild, but they look pretty great now.

Attachments

• EFCD1E52-CEAC-4DF3-A2BD-AC209CD41154.jpeg
    EFCD1E52-CEAC-4DF3-A2BD-AC209CD41154.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • E9351391-99E8-412C-BD6E-DEDD448586F8.jpeg
    E9351391-99E8-412C-BD6E-DEDD448586F8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 151
After dithering about for a very long time, I have finally made a pretty decent mockup of the bodice. Process photos attached. I made a mini projector with a magnifying glass, a shoebox, my phone, and some electrical tape so I could trace the lines of the most centered photo I could find. (I used the photo of the mock-up on the dress form shared further up the thread.) I cut the tape pattern off the dress form and tried a lot of different ways to make seams for fitting by cutting it up and tracing it onto 2mm foam. The princess seams wound up working the best on both the upper chest piece and the base, and I chose one side and mirrored it so everything would be even. I taped the pattern back together and cut out the details also from 2 mm foam. I've been temporarily fastening everything with painter's tape while I'm still working everything out. The details definitely need some neatening up, but I think I'm getting closer. I plan to fasten the under layer together with a zipper along the left front seam, and the upper layer down with snaps along the top.
I'm planning to make the shirt by hacking this pattern to take out the seams down the center front and under the bust and make it a shirt rather than a bodysuit. I way overbought the materials, so I'm also going to try to use the extra pleather and knit to sew the details for the bodice and wrap the fabric around the foam base. This may not work at all, but I'm hopeful.
I would not have gotten this far without this thread. Thanks so much to everyone!!!

Attachments

• tape cut.jpeg
    tape cut.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 178
  • tape cut up.jpg
    tape cut up.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 163
  • base pattern.jpg
    base pattern.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • base back.jpg
    base back.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • base layering.jpg
    base layering.jpg
    974.7 KB · Views: 149
  • detail tape pieces.jpeg
    detail tape pieces.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
  • details cut out.jpeg
    details cut out.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
  • detail front.jpeg
    detail front.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
  • detail back.jpeg
    detail back.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • detail 3 quarter.jpeg
    detail 3 quarter.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
Really thrilled with how these came out! Used two coats of Angelus black on the uppers and two coats of Angelus Walk on Black for the soles. Plan on applying some acrylic finisher once everything is totally dry. Can’t speak to how they’re going to hold up out in the wild, but they look pretty great now.

They look great! You'd never tell those weren't white to begin with. Angelus are absolute miracle makers (I speak from experience).

Last edited:
Hey guys! A friend sent me this from a Loki fan group on Facebook, but the maker of Sylvie's sword has posted some photos of their build to their website and Instagram. The photos are absolutely gorgeous and give a great look at the finishes on both the blade and the hilt. Good thing I haven't painted my raw cast sword yet!

Here's their website.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2082-1.jpg
    IMG_2082-1.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2083-1.jpg
    IMG_2083-1.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 202
One last thing from me--I heard back from Wig Is Fashion and they're going to produce a Sylvie wig! They said it will take about two months before they post it for sale on their website, so keep an eye out (I get email alerts from them, might be a good idea if you're interested in the wig). The bad news is that it won't be lace front (waaaah) but they said if the original wig sells well, they'll produce a lace front version. But hey, if the wig is good enough (and I'm sure it will be), I'll go ahead and buy the non lace front version. I'm still really excited to see what they come up with!

Hey guys! A friend sent me this from a Loki fan group on Facebook, but the maker of Sylvie's sword has posted some photos of their build to their website and Instagram. The photos are absolutely gorgeous and give a great look at the finishes on both the blade and the hilt. Good thing I haven't painted my raw cast sword yet!

Here's their website.
I’m in awe!! So gorgeous!! These photos will be so useful for paint work

I'm the friend BTW. Credit goes to someone over at Loki's Army Costume Group. I'm still gobsmacked over the details on the sword that will never show up on the screen.

After dithering about for a very long time, I have finally made a pretty decent mockup of the bodice. Process photos attached. I made a mini projector with a magnifying glass, a shoebox, my phone, and some electrical tape so I could trace the lines of the most centered photo I could find. (I used the photo of the mock-up on the dress form shared further up the thread.) I cut the tape pattern off the dress form and tried a lot of different ways to make seams for fitting by cutting it up and tracing it onto 2mm foam. The princess seams wound up working the best on both the upper chest piece and the base, and I chose one side and mirrored it so everything would be even. I taped the pattern back together and cut out the details also from 2 mm foam. I've been temporarily fastening everything with painter's tape while I'm still working everything out. The details definitely need some neatening up, but I think I'm getting closer. I plan to fasten the under layer together with a zipper along the left front seam, and the upper layer down with snaps along the top.
I'm planning to make the shirt by hacking this pattern to take out the seams down the center front and under the bust and make it a shirt rather than a bodysuit. I way overbought the materials, so I'm also going to try to use the extra pleather and knit to sew the details for the bodice and wrap the fabric around the foam base. This may not work at all, but I'm hopeful.
I would not have gotten this far without this thread. Thanks so much to everyone!!!
Oh wow, this looks great!! I'm already over my current vest and want to redo it once DragonCon is over. Your method looks amazing!

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_6778.JPG
    IMG_6778.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_6779.JPG
    IMG_6779.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
Here with some shots of Sylvie's (hard to see, but definitely there) CLOAK TIES! A Renn faire friend pointed out to me that it's the best way to keep your cloak from choking yourself or slipping down constantly, and with the amount of fight scenes the cloak sees, it makes perfect sense. From the angle it looks like they come from the center back right by the hood, wrap over the shoulders and under the armpits, and are either tied or clipped together at the back again. I'll probably be using side release buckles for ease of pulling off/on.

Also trying to figure out what the X-box stitches on the sides of the hood lining are for. I don't believe they have anything to do with the cloak ties since they seem to move around and away from them sometimes. My current theory is that the lining may be made of a kind of viscose based on how it works in light and it's movement and how Christine Wada was talking about keeping Sylvie's costume as light as possible. So maybe the stitches are to keep it from bubbling up and away from the wool shell when she's moving around? Don't have my fabrics yet to test that theory.

Attachments

• CloakTies1.png
    CloakTies1.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 209
  • CloakTies2.png
    CloakTies2.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 213
  • CloakTies3.png
    CloakTies3.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 200
  • CloakTies4.png
    CloakTies4.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 213
I didn't buy a file but I bought resin prints.

I bought a raw resin cast from Crossfire Props on Etsy (contact them on Instagram for the raw cast) and it's a gorgeous sword. The details are really clean and nice. I'll have to cut off and file down a tag on the hilt before I paint, but that was worth the cost to have a really good, sturdy sword for me.

I traced out the vest patterns on my duct tape dummy. So, the patterns I'm working with for myself aren't anything digital that I can share. As for the shirt, I modified a vintage pattern: Simplicity 6624 Misses Stretch Knit. I bought it off Etsy, and there should be plenty others left, but keep in mind that they are vintage sizes and only one size per packet! I'm typically a small/size 2 and I'm a vintage 12 for instance. Hope that helps!
So I just watched through all of your Instagram stories on Sylvie-- fantastic stuff. Do you know any good sources on learning how to wet-form leather- or anyone with the patience to talk me into it? I've looked through instructions in the past but always backed out... but the look of your vest is really telling me I gotta grab this moment.

So I just watched through all of your Instagram stories on Sylvie-- fantastic stuff. Do you know any good sources on learning how to wet-form leather- or anyone with the patience to talk me into it? I've looked through instructions in the past but always backed out... but the look of your vest is really telling me I gotta grab this moment.
Leather working is such a fun medium, but please don't let my Sylvie vest be the thing that pushes you to pursue it! I'm frustrated with my build options at the moment. My vest should look decent enough in photos, but I don't think wet formed leather is the best way to go with this piece. Rather, I think more garment style leather with a supportive base, as apposed to veg tan on top of foam, is ideal for her vest. But unfortunately for me, I gotta stick with what I started in order to finish for DragonCon ANYWAYS - I learned a lot of what I know about leather from a friend who already knew a lot more! I value her time so I literally hired her for a couple hours while we worked through some basic pieces. I would see if there is a Tandy Leather in your area b/c they sometimes offer classes :)

Has anyone else used the Yaya Han cosplay stretch suede for their bodysuits? I cant go visit any fabric stores as my country is in lockdown but I wanted to get an idea of how thick it is and how far it stretches.

Has anyone else used the Yaya Han cosplay stretch suede for their bodysuits? I cant go visit any fabric stores as my country is in lockdown but I wanted to get an idea of how thick it is and how far it stretches.
Also have we agreed on it being suede? Because I've looked at so many images and rewatched the series 6 times and I still cant figure out what fabric it is.

Leather working is such a fun medium, but please don't let my Sylvie vest be the thing that pushes you to pursue it! I'm frustrated with my build options at the moment. My vest should look decent enough in photos, but I don't think wet formed leather is the best way to go with this piece. Rather, I think more garment style leather with a supportive base, as apposed to veg tan on top of foam, is ideal for her vest. But unfortunately for me, I gotta stick with what I started in order to finish for DragonCon ANYWAYS - I learned a lot of what I know about leather from a friend who already knew a lot more! I value her time so I literally hired her for a couple hours while we worked through some basic pieces. I would see if there is a Tandy Leather in your area b/c they sometimes offer classes :)
Ah, interesting! Well, I think it looks *fantastic*, but I totally understand when the construction doesn't quite click on the maker side. My initial thought had actually been to wrap thin foam pieces in garment leather and then heat-shape-- but I've never actually tried heat-shaping foam that was covered in another material. Seems like asking for complications.

And yes, I've actually looked up Tandy classes in the past, now that I think about it. Pretty sure it was also exactly right before quarantine hit us. That's about how my timing usually goes.

My keen eye spotted something that might be top stitching on the sleeves? I might compare to some other photos but what do you guys think?

Attachments

• topstich on sleeve (2).jpeg
    topstich on sleeve (2).jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 213
  • top stitching sleeve (2).jpg
    top stitching sleeve (2).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 192

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back