Sylgian's Sith Stalker (501st approved!)

Sylgian

I ended up here after building a few lightsaber props. You can thank the costuming thread over at TCSS. This is my first venture into wearable props. I loved how approachable pepakura was, so I am going that route.

I have a good case of Star Wars fever atm, waiting for SWTOR to launch and all. So the Sith Stalker Helm featured in the Force Unleashed Game felt like a perfect project.

Here are the inspiration pics
sithstalkerfront.jpg

sithstalkerside.jpg

After some research, I found this file made by Juice here on the forums. I found very little other info on it being built in pepakura, just some costume threads using the "My Wicked Armor" version of the helm. It did not seem to have been built by anyone.
3djuicefile.jpg

Either way, I was really excited so I built it. I had to scale it really large to make it fit the width of my head. I made some custom ear cups too.
pep1.jpg

earcup.jpg

pep2.jpg

pep5.jpg

pep7l.jpg

thumbsupwy.jpg

It turned out to be way too long after I scaled it to fit. This may be a reason that i saw no build thread on it. I had to make some modifications to get it to a reasonable length.

area to be removed
surgery1.jpg

area removed
surgery2q.jpg

all glued back together
surgery3.jpg

After I was happy with the size I hardened it with resin and did a slush cast of rondo on the inside. Thanks to Ben Streeper (sorry if I spelled your name wrong)on the 405th for his tutorials.
harden2.jpg

harden3.jpg

harden4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Sylgian's Sith Stalker Helmet (WIP)

I felt a little disappointed with the results of both my hardening job and just the overall shape of the model. It was pretty large. So I ended up scrapping it. But, I also decided to make a Version 2.

I felt the model could be greatly improved and my fiberglass technique could be much improved. I took it back to square one and began plans for making my own 3d model.
v2concept.jpg

Having very little experience in 3d, It took me a long couple of days to figure out the software. I did some 3d modeling in college, but it was years ago. I started with the file Juice built for a base, but ended up remodeling almost all of it.

This is what I came up with. It's a 3pc design.
3dmodular.jpg

3dmodularassembled.jpg

This is the result of my new 3d model and unfold in pepakura.

I added some decorative notches in the front and back of the base helm. The back will have a retangular hole cut out after I'm done hardening to mimic the in game model. It was pretty tough getting something that works in the real world. The game model just wasnt meant to fit on a real persons head.
base4.jpg

base3.jpg

base2o.jpg

base1.jpg

Outer shell. I have this as one piece for now. I plan on splitting it.
outer1.jpg

outer2.jpg

outer3.jpg

My breather thingy. I made sure to have it a separate piece this way I can finish it and install it as its own piece. Having a real seam where the parts join should look better as well
breather.jpg

assembled.
assembled1.jpg

wearingv2.jpg

I plan on splitting and permanently mounting the back half of the yellow outer shell to the base helm. Then I want to hinge the front half to lift up and expose my face. It will allow it to be much easier to take on and off. The missing cheek pieces will be fabricated out of some kind of flexible foam or rubber. I will cross that bridge when i get to it. Hardening next.

Last edited:

I took a few more photos of the helm on as well as the back of the helm. I also did a side by side of the old juice file and my newly pep'd version 2.

here is the side by side of the old and new models. I did a lot of work on the contours of the face... and getting the size down as much as I could. the new one is much more svelte.
sidebysidef.jpg

The back of the helmet. this is where that little rectangle will be cut... in the most recessed section.
assembledback.jpg

And a whole bunch more photos of the helmet on.
assembled5.jpg

assembled4.jpg

assembled3.jpg

assembled2.jpg

thanks a ton for the feedback. Any fiberglass tips would be appreciated. Rondo is out of the question this time, the weight was a bit too much last time. I am pretty new at this and don't want to ruin my newly pep'd helmet.

My brushes arrived from harbor freight! So I started hardening the helmet pieces with a few coats of resin inside and out.
22002619992161430961324.jpg

v2harden2.jpg

v2harden3.jpg

Last edited:

Way to go man. It looks great. Sorry about it being a little jacked up. It was like the first or second model I had ever made. Most people get mad about others modding their models but I don't care. Art is in the eye of the beholder and you've done it justice. Later!

PS- You mind sharing the new model? I'd like to check it out.

Nice. You planning on doing the rest of the suit?

I think so. Since I'm so nub I figured one piece at a time might not be a bad way to go. I do have access to a sewing machine for the soft pieces. I think it would be nice to have something finished by Halloween.

Way to go man. It looks great. Sorry about it being a little jacked up. It was like the first or second model I had ever made. Most people get mad about others modding their models but I don't care. Art is in the eye of the beholder and you've done it justice. Later!

PS- You mind sharing the new model? I'd like to check it out.

Juice! Thank you sir. I am so glad you aren't offended. No apologies are even close to necessary. Really, it would not have been possible for me to get this far without the work you had already done. Your model was the only reason I even started this project. I am very noob at 3d myself and it would have taken me ages to start from nothing.

My model had some missing pep tabs and I am it sure could be unfolded more optimally. If you are willing to deal with that I will be glad to upload it if you want to take a look.

Last edited:

This looks great. I hope you share the model as I would like to try this build myself.

So I spent just about all day outside in some serious sunshine fiberglassing. The heat really made my resin cure with a quickness, so it was slow going. Good news too, I gained one hell of a sunburn on the back of my neck and on my knees.

But I did finish the outer shell and most of the base helmet. I am going to fill the ear cups with rondo instead of trying to fiberglass the small crevices of the rings. I still have that left to do.

I will be filling the breather piece with rondo as well. This way I can sand down into it and get some rounded edges on it.

But here she is as of today.
v2harden7.jpg

v2harden6.jpg

v2harden5.jpg

v2harden4.jpg

that blue piece of tape is where I plan to split the yellow portion and hinge it. We will see how that goes.

I will be headed out to get some padding for the inside soon as well as looking for some material to cover my cheeks. I'm still not sure how to tackle that. Anyways, Bondo coming soon. Might be next weekend... after the sunburn heals, lol.

would you be willing to share the pep file you have made? it looks damn near perfect!

I will be making my file available for download, probably sometime this week. I wont be able to do too much work on the helmet, so maybe I'll concentrate on getting that available.

Being impatient I started a little light bondo work today. This was all I could get done before all the daylight disappeared. I gotta build that shed I've been wanting. Workshop space would be so much nicer than the patio.

This is my first attempt and bondo. I'm trying to work in thin coats to avoid a big mess of sanding. I smoothed it out after applying, I need more coats so I didn't make it too smooth. I hope this is the right way to go about it Slow and steady I suppose. I gotta watch more tutorials, refine my technique.
bondo1.jpg

bondo2.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back