SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

I keep watching the show, although I don't know why. I do wish they would focus more on how the costumes and props were made instead of the forced drama, but it certainly isn't terrible or damaging to cosplay in some way. Although I do think that Cats musical/meme skit set back cats at least a century.

The thing is Stig, is that if they did that, the audience that it would appeal to wouldn't be enough to make the network $$. So it isn't done. Drama sells. Not craft. :(

Its up to us to be out here showing what is what so when people ask, we can show them something awesome :D

Haha Thanks! I really want to post the build of the Kaiju we did. It was one of the most awesome projects I've ever done, and a lot of fun. It was a full L200 creature suit with upholstery foam base, and a sculpted/cast head. All covered with latex. Plus I got to design it and we got to work with Guillermo. :) Once I get a chance I'll get the pictures together and make a thread. :) It was completely fabricated by Jessica and myself, just the head I sculpted was molded/cast by a good friend of ours. Yay making stuff. :)

Haha Thanks! I really want to post the build of the Kaiju we did. It was one of the most awesome projects I've ever done, and a lot of fun. It was a full L200 creature suit with upholstery foam base, and a sculpted/cast head. All covered with latex. Plus I got to design it and we got to work with Guillermo. :) Once I get a chance I'll get the pictures together and make a thread. :) It was completely fabricated by Jessica and myself, just the head I sculpted was molded/cast by a good friend of ours. Yay making stuff. :)

Keep us updated! I've been wanting to make a humpbot costume from robot chicken out of foam so that would definitely be informative. View attachment 232827

Looking forward to more Youtube videos and the final episode of Heroes of Cosplay. :D

- A LOT OF THEM ARE LONG STANDING MEMBERS HERE. AS IN YEARS UPON YEARS of contributing to our forum, sharing their ideas, knowledge and encouragement-

I went to my first Sci-fi con (SDCC) and wore my first costume in 2004 and I've been fascinated with it ever since. Even before we had 1 costume section and now 2 costume sections I would scan Flickr and google after big conventions looking at costumes and making connections with different costumers. Costuming is the one area I wish I had more skill in because I'd love to be able to make more costumes and make them as fantastic as so many that I've seen.

As someone who has been on the RPF as long as I have I haven't seen any of the HoC cast here except Jinyo (who posts somewhat often) and Victoria (who used to post more then she does now).

For the rest, what is their RPF screen names?
I don't think I've seen any posts from Yaya Han, Monika Lee, Jessie Langers, Riddle Cosplay, Chloe Dykstra, or Becky Young.

I saw Holly just posted and that makes me ecstatic as I'm getting into all things Crabcat and after listening to their 'Crabcasts' I've been inspired to possibly start making some video blogs myself.

So, aside from Jinyo, Victoria and Holly, what are the other HoC RPF'ers screen names? I'd love to see their posts and maybe get some insight into their costume builds and techniques.

I went to my first Sci-fi con (SDCC) and wore my first costume in 2004 and I've been fascinated with it ever since. Even before we had 1 costume section and now 2 costume sections I would scan Flickr and google after big conventions looking at costumes and making connections with different costumers. Costuming is the one area I wish I had more skill in because I'd love to be able to make more costumes and make them as fantastic as so many that I've seen.

As someone who has been on the RPF as long as I have I haven't seen any of the HoC cast here except Jinyo (who posts somewhat often) and Victoria (who used to post more then she does now).

To be frank, we lost a lot of women posting regularly because of the environment here. I have found more welcoming pastures elsewhere. And specifically for the in progress stuff. I've been a member here for a long time too. But also active elsewhere, different usernames all over the place.

I won't derail but there are reasons many for people to not post here, or to appear to not. And note, Holly appears to have just changed her username so that could be another factor for not finding what you ask for ;)

To be frank, we lost a lot of women posting regularly because of the environment here. I have found more welcoming pastures elsewhere. And specifically for the in progress stuff. I've been a member here for a long time too. But also active elsewhere, different usernames all over the place.

I won't derail but there are reasons many for people to not post here, or to appear to not. And note, Holly appears to have just changed her username so that could be another factor for not finding what you ask for ;)

That's a shame to read. Everyone I've private messaged concerning questions about modeling, costuming, makeup, etc. have been extremely helpful and supportive, including yourself. But then I'm also a dude so I suppose my experience would be slightly different...:$

I agree but I wouldn't want anyone to leave the RPF, guy or girl, for any reason especially negativity.

I know I'm guilty of sticking my foot in my mouth, recently, and sometimes you don't see the forest because of the trees. I don't want to make excuses, sometimes you say the wrong thing and when you do and you realize it you own up to it and apologize.

I do think there are some really negative people on the RPF who just aren't happy people and nothing seems to make them happy and they spew negativity. I've had to take 'breaks' from the RPF to get away for a while due to negativity. I think after shooting off my mouth recently I'm due for a break because I don't want to be one of those negative people.

Sometimes I say stupid stuff I regret. I wish I could change the past.

If the RPF has taught me anything, it's that the RPF is just like real life in the outside world. If we were all in a room together there would be the same clicks, the same jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, band kids, creepy guys, popular kids, drama queens (and kings), trouble makers, and all the rest. For every awesome conversation and learning opportunity there are an equal number of arguments, hatred, jealousy, and awkwardness.

What keeps me here is what I hope keeps everyone else here- we love this stuff, all of it, and we love being with people who share our passion.

I just think it's funny how there is a reality show about my(our) hobby.

I find the show entertaining, but I don't believe any of it is real unless one of fellow rpf'ers who are on the show tells me it happens. Then I'll probably still need a second opinion. I just know if that If I was on the show it would just be an hour of me quietly sitting in my workshop/livingroom watching Babylon 5 for the 5th time and gluing styrene together with occasional breaks to play Dark Souls. The only drama would be me swearing when I hot glue my leg to a piece of cardboard.

I can't wait for the show about the cut-throat world of competitive Warhammer miniature painting.

just go to any shop that still runs warhammer and wait for the "it's in the rules" guy to do something then have to break out his 3 books and then spend 20 mins arguing about the rules because the new army book contradicts the rule book and they haven't gotten around to releasing the new rule book yet while someone else is questioning if the army should be fielded because he's not sure if they were all painted with only citadel paints.

That's a shame to read. Everyone I've private messaged concerning questions about modeling, costuming, makeup, etc. have been extremely helpful and supportive, including yourself. But then I'm also a dude so I suppose my experience would be slightly different...:$

I agree. It's really strange but up until yesterday I really hadn't come across anything like the vitriol I saw in the earlier posts on this thread. This may be because I tend to read mostly build or WIP threads. As Abby pointed out, the folks on Heroes of Cosplay are in many cases members on here. Just because they happen to be on a TV show dealing with our hobby shouldn't make them targets. After all, would you walk up to someone at a Con and start berating them? I'd like to think most people wouldn't do anything of the sort, but say someone did walk up to me and started commenting on how I "just painted some old football equipment" I at least would have the opportunity to tell them to take a flying leap. I would then do my best to forget their hurtful words and continue having fun. Trouble is that hurtful comments posted on here last a lot longer than similar words spoken in person, making them harder to get past. You can read them, process them and move on, but every time you go over the posts again and come across these comments the wound is opened again.

Not cool.

I don't think there's anyone amongst us that hasn't at one time or another had their "Prima Donna" moment, or said/done something not too clever. Fortunately, most of us don't have a camera pointed at us when we do! My "moments" would give the censors a fit if they were! Let's just keep in mind that there are people on the other side of the screen. People worthy of the same courtesy and respect we give anyone we cross on the street in our daily lives.

So, to quote from the Gospel according to Preston & Logan: Be excellent to each other and Party On!!
:cheers

To be frank, we lost a lot of women posting regularly because of the environment here.

I can agree with this, and also some other posts here. I have met nothing but extremely helpful and knowledgeable people here, but I am also a guy. I believe , correct me if I am wrong, but if you are referring to the "leg humping" that goes on with the female members, I can totally agree....

Anyways back on track, I have watched all of the episodes so far, and I do enjoy them. I am actually sad to see it coming to an end. I enjoy seeing that even though the love for doing this is great, there is a lot of pain and stress involved in this industry....

I think they only person that hadn't really been stressed out in an episode has been Yaya, but they may just be the editing also..

Sent from my HTC One X

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back