SyFy's Heroes of Cosplay

How does Jinyo have two or three different shirts with the new RPF logo?

Considering all the equipment they have in their place, I wouldn't be shocked if he has the means to screenprint his own stuff. It's as simple as screencapping the logo at the top left, vectoring it in PS, and blowing it up. I did the same thing for the Kord logo in my signature.

Those bloodstripe jeans were so freaking badass. I can't believe I've never thought to do that.

All I can say is that ActiBlizzard deserves her.

I was just thinking how she was so concerned about doing well and showing Blizzard her "mad skillz" and then she goes and makes some of her comments. By now she either got the internship or she didn't, but she needs to remember that companies are interested in people that can work together, not Prima Donna's.

I was just thinking how she was so concerned about doing well and showing Blizzard her "mad skillz" and then she goes and makes some of her comments. By now she either got the internship or she didn't, but she needs to remember that companies are interested in people that can work together, not Prima Donna's.

Yeah. If I cared enough about ActiBlizz or what Monika does, I would tweet at them and tell them to give HoC a watch and seriously consider the character of the person they're thinking about letting onto their staff.

Now, if she was trying to get an internship at Naughty Dog or Irrational or Telltale, I'd be trying to rally the troops around here. Hahaha.

Hello everyone. New to the RPF. Juat wanted to say hey. Also throw my two cents in on that crazy little girl talking to her mom the way she does. If it was my kid she would be making her costume in the alley next to her refrigerator box apartment. Disrespectful. I probably won't watch it anymore. Ok maybe, to see yoyo with her skimpy cosplay costumes. I dont care what anyone says, she may b shallower than a puddle and not very bright but she does wear an anime costume well. And I second the coolness of the bloodstripe jeans on Jinyo was wearing. Hell they should have called it Jinyos cosplay show and gotten rid of all the trash. Again hello everyone.

SyFy had a great opportunity to showcase the incredible builders around the country and the world, but they chose to focus on a few mindless hipsters. Why not showcase a different cosplayer every week?

Victoria and Monika are both self-centered and desperate for attention and obviously don't mind insulting others for ratings. A few of the "heroes" do have a lot of talent like Jinyo and Riki LeCotey. Their passion and attention to detail is what cosplay is all about! I also think Jesse has a lot of potential and his Steam Trooper was really nice.

Yaya is Yaya. She has passion too but the constant Yayaganda is off putting.

I did find it ANNOYING that Holly and Jessica kept calling it "Pacific Rim Viral Video" Uhhh you just filmed it, it isn't viral yet and might not GO Viral, even if it was Del Toro behind it. JUST SAYING...

I was disappointed in Holly and Jessica's monster build. I know they were going for campy, but they should have gone all out with the costume fabrication.
Also the paint job they did on the face took away all the details they took the time adding. They should have gone all out like with the costume. The camp factor comes from the performance the actor inside gives. Even Mr. Wink from Hellboy II could be campy is he dances around like a goof.

I watch the show and hide my face in shame,but I feel as if I was on the show I could be a great rep for the community.
Or at least my work. If given the chance to be on the show I would take it.

A lot of folks on here would be great for the show. More so than the bickering bimbos they like to focus on... And I see Victoria and her last minute itis and I shake my head... I literally have probably 6 pep projects laying around unfinished but you bet your sweet petunia if I had a deadline I'd finish it. I have no dead line, so I am taking my time and working a bit here and there. I am a perfectionist and I've only been doing this since November, so it's going to be slow.

I see a couple of people in the thread saying Yaya doesn't make her own costumes... have you got any evidence to that? Working with her husband isn't unusual. A lot of people work with other people to complete their costumes, having props made or working with someone that is better with the sewing machine than yourself, and I've never heard that type of collaboration be brought up as a negative before this show.

Say what you want about the constant cleavage, but the costumes she's worn on the show look damn solid to me, can't be easy to sew for that figure... and I've never heard any allegations of her not doing the work before.

Not knowing much about Jessica Nigri before the episode where she got thrown under the bus, I was curious and watched a recent video where she showed of some costumes. It looks like she's been working on her craft skills, including making props and weapons for her costumes. She said one of the guns she made was terrible, but whose first few aren't? :p She also had a couple of costumes that weren't showing much skin, such as the Deadpool one which is sexy without trying to hard. Maybe she's trying to ditch the booth-babe perception?

Just watched the latest episode, Jinyo is the real hero, repping the RPF. :p

Last edited:
I wouldn't even be surprised if that pacific rim "viral video" was entirely fake. I wouldn't put it past Syfy to make that stuff up just to add something. Just look at that train wreck of a show Monster Man. 3/4's of the films he did work on didn't even exist, just crap made up by syfy to give the guy an excuse to make stuff.

In short Yaya has been cosplaying for years, I think 10 or 11

Jessica is the new kid on the block

I don't watch the show, and have only become familiar with the names of these people by virtue of this thread, but why is it that Yaya is more looked up to in some sense, but Jessica Nigri is derided?

I wouldn't even be surprised if that pacific rim "viral video" was entirely fake. I wouldn't put it past Syfy to make that stuff up just to add something. Just look at that train wreck of a show Monster Man. 3/4's of the films he did work on didn't even exist, just crap made up by syfy to give the guy an excuse to make stuff.

Instead of speculating, you could also google it... because it is pretty legit, officially endorsed by Warner Brothers and featuring del Toro himself. The Kaiju, whose suit was worn by del Toro, is even called Crabcat. Close to 7k youtube comments, 31k likes, 1.1 million views, not crazy numbers, but surely a good effort.

Pacific Rim: Training Day - Pacific Rim Wiki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw8XQ3vdW_4

Oh, I meant no negativity towards the crabcat video. I'm actually ripping on Monster Man.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 250
Oh! I misunderstood.

I honestly feel kind of bad for Crabcat, all things considered. I know they're better than what's getting shown off on the show. I reckon because they were basically asked to make entire costumes in a few weeks time on top of whatever they might be doing as Crabcat. The Cat costumes they did this week made me cringe just a little bit on a number of levels.

I actually thought the cat costumes were hilarious, maybe not the right thing to put on stage for an anime-focused con, but Holly's face was priceless throughout.

I remember taking an English or Literature class when I was young, and analyzing "Hamlet" in depth. We discussed the motivations of Hamlet and the other characters. Why did he wait until the end of the play to confront his uncle? Why didn't he do something about it immediately, instead of agonizing over it for the whole play? As the discussion stretched longer and longer, I eventually came to the conclusion that the reason Hamlet did what he did was because it made for a more interesting story, and not because Hamlet was a "real" person with complex subconscious motivations. He waited because that's how he was written by Shakespeare, and if he hadn't, the play would have been over in 20 minutes. Simple as that.

I get a similar feeling when I see in-depth discussions about reality shows. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy "Heroes Of Cosplay." It ain't Shakepeare, but I find it entertaining. Those of you who enjoy it, I'm glad you are so emotionally invested in the stories and characters you see. And sometimes dissecting a show is part of being a fan.

Sometimes questions don't have answers. Sometimes the only answer to "Why did she say that," or "why isn't she nicer" or "why didn't she credit him" is simply "because that's what happened in the episode," or "because otherwise nothing would have happened, and that might not be very interesting."

Of course, sometimes there are answers. For example:

No word on why the Lulu dress that appeared at Katsucon 2012 wasn't ready for Emerald City.

The short answer is, the Lulu we made for Katsucon last year was a piece of crap held together by glue and wishes, that barely survived long enough for the skit she did. We were trying to actually make it well, for the first episode. When it looked like we weren't going to get the outfit done in time, we might have fallen back on the Katsucon outfit it still existed, but that thing had been discarded long ago (though we saved a few elements that were worth keeping, like the jewelry and accessories).

BTW, despite the rumors, Yaya does actually make her own costumes. I've seen it myself when I've been over to their house. At most, Brian (her bf) will do a coat of spray paint or some minor touch-ups. But he's mostly way too busy making the products they sell at the 2 - 3 dozen conventions they go to each year. They make all that stuff in-house, so he barely even has any time to work on his own projects (he's building a Keaton batmobile), let alone work on her costumes.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back