Superman The Movie - Custom 3.75 inch action figure project and Palitoy / Kenner cardbacks *FULLY PAINTED PHOTOS*

cking Once you're happy with all of the card backs, you should seriously consider offering the collage of all of the card backs as a poster. I'm sure that there are plenty of people here, and elsewhere, that would want one.

That's a cool idea riceball.
Here's the back of the Batman card I've just finished

Attachments

• Palitoy-Batman Card-Front-and-Back.jpg
    Palitoy-Batman Card-Front-and-Back.jpg
    742.3 KB · Views: 209
Hi all,
You're probably all getting bored of seeing just never-ending photos of the cardbacks so I'm pleased to be able to show the first WIP photos of the Chris Reeve Superman figure that is being made for this project.
This is "Stage 1" of the work - just getting the proportions and overall appearance correct. "Stage 2" will start to refine the details and likeness / pose.
VERY happy with how this is looking already though. I think it's a big improvement over Neca's 7 inch and Mattel's 4 inch versions. Hope you like it too.

Attachments

• Superman_Wip_06.jpg
    Superman_Wip_06.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Superman_Wip_07.jpg
    Superman_Wip_07.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 177
  • NECA_Christopher_Reeve_Superman11__scaled_800.jpg
    NECA_Christopher_Reeve_Superman11__scaled_800.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
This is such a great project. That Reeve digital file is looking great so far.

If you continue I suggest '70s Shazam and Mighty Isis (and Mentor) should be in the next wave. The cardbacks could tease a Winnebago playset.

I'm afraid that I am a bit selfish, so am only doing the heroes / villains that I wanted when I was a kid in the 70's / 80's. LOL. It's tempting to do more characters from some of the ones chosen, but I'm resisting temptation and just going with these 12. Glad you like it. I'm having a blast doing these ones.

I've started an interest thread in The Junkyard to see who would be interested in getting a set of these.

Some refinements to the Reeve Superman figure. Tweaked the rib cage and pecs to better match Reeve's physique. Added the slightly wavy hairline at the forehead.

Attachments

• Superman_Wip_08.jpg
    Superman_Wip_08.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 159
  • Superman_Wip_11.jpg
    Superman_Wip_11.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 151
Flash and Ming cardback options completed. I was able to put my 1:18 scale Hawkman Rocket Cycle photo on the back of the card too!
Which do you prefer? Multi-colored figure backgrounds or red/orange throughout?

Attachments

• Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-and-Back.jpg
    Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-and-Back.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-and-Back-Opt1.jpg
    Palitoy-Flash Gordon-Front-and-Back-Opt1.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Here's the Incredible Hulk cardback. Tough to know what to do for that because the TV show didn't really have many characters to use for an action figure line. LOL.

I've just got to do the cardbacks for Spider-Man and Wonder Woman and this really enjoyable project will be finished (at least the card designing part of it).

Attachments

• Palitoy-Hulk-Front-and-Back.jpg
    Palitoy-Hulk-Front-and-Back.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 108
Spider-Man cardback is completed now. I found a much better quality image for the front photo too so here's a variation. Which do you prefer?
Just Wonder Woman left to complete. Really struggling with that one.

Attachments

• Palitoy-SpiderMan-Front-and-Back.jpg
    Palitoy-SpiderMan-Front-and-Back.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Palitoy-SpiderMan-Front-and-Back-opt1.jpg
    Palitoy-SpiderMan-Front-and-Back-opt1.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 105
Here's the Incredible Hulk cardback. Tough to know what to do for that because the TV show didn't really have many characters to use for an action figure line. LOL.
You could put a photo of Jack McGee as a potential action figure. He hunted the Hulk the whole time so he is the closest thing to a villian in that series, lol
814fc1a7a5d0739888bdf1d6c14155bf--incredible-hulk-tv-series.jpg

Here is the finished render of the Chris Reeve Superman figure. This will stand at 10.7cm (4.22 inches) tall when printed. The yellow emblem on the back of the cape will be added as a die-cut sticker. The original cape emblem was sewn on top of the red cape fabric, so there didn't seem to be any point sculpting the emblem into the cape model. I think the die-cut sticker will be a perfect representation of how it looked on the full size costume.
VERY happy with how this looks. I am going to get it printed first to see how it looks. Adding the articulation for the arms, legs and head (basic 5 points of articulation) is going to cost an additional $300, so I want to make sure the model itself looks ok before I pay the extra.

Attachments

• Superman-Completed-Model-01.jpg
    Superman-Completed-Model-01.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Superman-Completed-Model-02.jpg
    Superman-Completed-Model-02.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
cking, have you given any thought to selling the STL file to those who just want to print the figure ?.
Might fund the additional costs you are looking at.

Cappy - I wouldn't know what to charge for making the STL file available.
To be honest, I would prefer this to be exclusive to those who want to buy the finished item (painted figure, finished cardbacks and bubble).

cking, have you given any thought to selling the STL file to those who just want to print the figure ?.
Might fund the additional costs you are looking at.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back