Superman Returns

Matthew Gresham

I just watched Superman Returns today for the first time in idk how long and I really forgot how much of a comfort movie that is for me. It was my first exposure to my favorite superhero when I was a little kid and regardless of your opinion on the movie a lot of people my age had the same experience with it. I can remember being 6-7 years old and pretending to fly around my house wearing a towel like a cape. Damn I really miss being a kid

I love this movie as well. It was my son's first live action Superman, & I remember taking him to see it.

I said before in another thread, when he's holding that ship, & asks Richard, "Do you have them?", that's one of the best embodiments of the character I've ever seen.
I just watched Superman Returns today for the first time in idk how long and I really forgot how much of a comfort movie that is for me. It was my first exposure to my favorite superhero when I was a little kid and regardless of your opinion on the movie a lot of people my age had the same experience with it. I can remember being 6-7 years old and pretending to fly around my house wearing a towel like a cape. Damn I really miss being a kid

I love this movie as well. It was my son's first live action Superman, & I remember taking him to see it.

I said before in another thread, when he's holding that ship, & asks Richard, "Do you have them?", that's one of the best embodiments of the character I've ever seen.
Agreed. Brandon didn't just play Superman, he was and IS Superman. I was 7-8 when I first saw the film and then went back and watched the animated movies/series and the Reeve films but Brandon's portrayal is what made me fall in love with the character. Hope to meet him one day to thank him in person

Allow me to fangirl on main and timidly admit I also fell in love with SR when it came out, and that was a monumental thing for me, because from age 12 onwards I've never developed a passionate enjoyment of a fandom other than Star Wars. As I've mentioned before, I'm a monogamous fangirl swan. (Or penguin, which would be more accurate given my awkwardness. :lol:) It was the only non-SW film that actually pushed me into a separate fandom for a few years before it faded and I went back to my first love. I was also very fortunate to meet Brandon during a small outdoor charity basketball game in Manhattan, and he was indeed a very nice, down-to-earth fellow.

Had myself an incredibly hard laugh when I put the photo of us on my desk at work and one of my coworkers asked if he was my boyfriend. :lol:

I have only minor complaints about SR. Didn't buy Lois Lane's age & I think they could have picked someone more like Margot Kidder.
I know a lot of folks had issues with the creeper Superman spying on Lois, but I thought it played into Clark's sheltered innocence and naivety quite well. I've known weird homeschooled kids that have the same lack of awareness of personal boundaries.

LOVED Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor and his gang in this movie. Parker Posey was perfection.

WAIT. FOR. IT.

Yes, perfect Lex Luthor.

Superman The Movie (1978) is the all time Supe’s film for me seeing it in the cinema aged 12 , but SR was an experience that made me appreciate (at an age when I could) why practical SFX in film was/is so impressive to this day...

I went and saw it five times at the local theater. It was the first time for me as well, seeing Superman on the big screen.
Being a millennial I never saw the Christopher Reeve films on the big screen. I also really liked Dean Cain's portrayal on "Lois & Clark".
Chris made us believe a man can fly, and Brandon carried that into the 21st century.

Superman Returns is not a perfect film. But it is way better than the crap it got upon release. John Ottoman's score alone made me rewatch it.
John William's Superman theme is easily the most recognizable "super hero music", in my opinion.

It is a shame we never got the sequels we deserved.

Always thought Routh was a excellent choice to carry the Superman torch into the 21st century.
Sad they didn't do more with him. If they would have gone with someone like Malin Ackerman as Lois
and ditched the whole son of Superman bit, maybe it might have faired better and lead into the larger
DC universe with this Supes as its anchor character. Still this movie, even with its failings is fun to watch
and I saw both Reeves movies in the theater as a kid when they came out. In a lot of ways it was a nice
continuation. The Superman POV flight shots and the bullet to the eye are heaven to watch, even to this day.
Kevin Spacey was a great Lex.

Yep, having grown up on black and white Superman comics in the 50's, the whole idea of a live action Superman movie would have blown my mind. We only had the comics in New Zealand, and the 1978 Superman movie was astounding to me and my four-year-old son. To be lucky enough to be taken to Superman Returns by my adult son is still the greatest cinema experience of my life.

I have only minor complaints about SR. Didn't buy Lois Lane's age & I think they could have picked someone more like Margot Kidder.
I know a lot of folks had issues with the creeper Superman spying on Lois, but I thought it played into Clark's sheltered innocence and naivety quite well. I've known weird homeschooled kids that have the same lack of awareness of personal boundaries.

LOVED Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor and his gang in this movie. Parker Posey was perfection.

WAIT. FOR. IT.

Yes, perfect Lex Luthor.
By all of the issues with Kevin Spacey. He is a great actor. It's a bit like Tom Cruise. You're Not supposed to like him, but most of the time he delivers great work.

Superman II will always be my favorite ("Kneel before Zod!") but Superman Returns was a lot of fun. There were a few things they could've done better but overall it was good. Loved the fortress of solitude! Also really enjoyed that they made it a sequel when they could've easily done a reboot.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back