Supergirl - 30 years later..

KrangPrime

Master Member
I don't think I've ever seen the movie in full.. just bits and peices on TV viewing...so, decided to buy it on amazon.

the first 15 minutes are rather good. Superman is apparently off in another galaxy somewhere on a 'peace keeping mission'.
we get our first live action argo city. an art tool that looks like something you might find in an adult night club...
and even cooler, krypton survivers.

I'm up to the part where she bursts out of the water and magically transforms into supergirl for no reason at all....
that part didn't make much sense ;o).

but curious..for those who have seen the movie, would this have worked better today?
it's a shame helen slater and christopher reeve never got to meet on screen....throw in keaton and you'd have an awesome movie.

I saw this movie in the theater as a kid. It's corny, but a fun blast. Started my crush on Helen Slater, later backed up by The Secret of my Success and The Legend of Billie Jean.

If nothing else, it has an awsome score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Jerry's score is fantastic, it really fits the tone of the film and captures the power and grace of Supergirl. "Arrival on Earth" is probably one of my favourite pieces of film score music of all time, certainly in my top 5.

I don't think I've ever seen the movie in full.. just bits and peices on TV viewing...so, decided to buy it on amazon.

the first 15 minutes are rather good. Superman is apparently off in another galaxy somewhere on a 'peace keeping mission'.
we get our first live action argo city. an art tool that looks like something you might find in an adult night club...
and even cooler, krypton survivers.

I'm up to the part where she bursts out of the water and magically transforms into supergirl for no reason at all....
that part didn't make much sense ;o).

but curious..for those who have seen the movie, would this have worked better today?
it's a shame helen slater and christopher reeve never got to meet on screen....throw in keaton and you'd have an awesome movie.

To be honest, the story is kind of bland and the effects are pretty bad, even for the time. As others have said, the score is the only really memorable thing about the film. For that reason, I rank it with The Shadow in terms of quality superhero movies. It had good casting and great music, but it just kind of fell flat all around. For today's audience, even updating the SFX wouldn't help. You'd need to retool the story to make it tighter and more relatable.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back