Supergirl - 30 years later..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Aug 7, 2015.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I don't think I've ever seen the movie in full.. just bits and peices on TV viewing...so, decided to buy it on amazon.

the first 15 minutes are rather good. Superman is apparently off in another galaxy somewhere on a 'peace keeping mission'.
    we get our first live action argo city. an art tool that looks like something you might find in an adult night club...
    and even cooler, krypton survivers.

I'm up to the part where she bursts out of the water and magically transforms into supergirl for no reason at all....
    that part didn't make much sense ;o).

but curious..for those who have seen the movie, would this have worked better today?
    it's a shame helen slater and christopher reeve never got to meet on screen....throw in keaton and you'd have an awesome movie.

2. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

If nothing else, it has an awsome score by Jerry Goldsmith.

3. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I saw this movie in the theater as a kid. It's corny, but a fun blast. Started my crush on Helen Slater, later backed up by The Secret of my Success and The Legend of Billie Jean.

4. drcraig13

drcraig13 Sr Member

This is how I feel.

5. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wait, there was a Supergirl movie?..............

Trooper_trent likes this.
  6. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

That one wasn't exactly a high point in Peter O'Toole or Faye Dunaway's careers.

Met Slater at some con, nice gal.

7. renaissance_man

renaissance_man Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jerry's score is fantastic, it really fits the tone of the film and captures the power and grace of Supergirl. "Arrival on Earth" is probably one of my favourite pieces of film score music of all time, certainly in my top 5.

8. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To be honest, the story is kind of bland and the effects are pretty bad, even for the time. As others have said, the score is the only really memorable thing about the film. For that reason, I rank it with The Shadow in terms of quality superhero movies. It had good casting and great music, but it just kind of fell flat all around. For today's audience, even updating the SFX wouldn't help. You'd need to retool the story to make it tighter and more relatable.