Studio Scale Y-wing

LOL, you guys are funny. I hope to god you can build a model after you get the kit parts. it would be pretty sad if you couldnt. you only have a thousand reference pics. and its all laid out for you.

I have no problem with kit parts. Its the arrogance you have to people who dont use the kit parts. Not that all of you do it. But you can tell how certain people look down on others and feel if its not Studio Scale, its not worth anything.

So go ahead and build the same 10-12 models you have been for the last 20 years go to Version 18 and have fun. im done, if any one has anything to say to me feel free to PM me i wont reply here. so carry on

Nothing sad about some not having the talent to build a model how they want, thats arrogance Al

Reference and kit parts don't come with talent, some of us are still learning what to do for the best and get better each time we try, this is sounding like your mocking the less talented than you now?

If not all of the people in this hobby show arrogance then why bring the hobby into it, just direct your detain at the people you believe are arrogant !!!

With in your own words your looking down on studio scale? So not sure what the difference is

Part of this problem is that there is a huge interest and demand for info on the subject matters in the studio scale section as its usually Star Wars and that has a huge fan base. So don't take it personally and don't attack the builder for showing there work in a forum thats about gluing kit parts together. Your so respected as a tradesman you don't need to vent

If there are arrogant people here then so be it, who cares??? Theres arrogant people in the Military, hospitals, the Police, Prisons, Churches, Mc Donald's everywhere.

If a person openly admits to not being too bothered about accuracy and just went generic and looks ok with a build, but then adds a a price tag and title or claim of studio scale to their work they may be perceived as selling a product that doesn't match the title given. Some people have a right to know if the product doesn't match the description. Like Julien said that does not mean the model is badly made or not a great piece of work in its own right.

If you buy a house thats advertised as comes with Huge Den, swimming pool, 5 bedrooms etc etc and you get a 4 bedrooms a pond and large cupboard with a TV in it, I think you may complain!!!!

Thats what this thread WAS all about at the start.

There is a lot of Fun in improving on what we already have, thats a big part of it, and nothing is laid out if you don't know what your looking at. Again down playing what the hobby means to get a rise is kinda making you look more arrogant than all the people your indirectly mocking!!!

Theres Fly fishing and theres Trawlers , both are fishing. One gets huge results and quick the other takes a lifetime to catch the same amount and is more finessed, doesn't stop fly fishing from having a purpose as its not always about the big catch its about taking part in something you enjoy. If a customer wants 1000 fish tomorrow they go to the experts in trawler fishing, if they want a single trout they go to an idiot stood in big wells in a river thats wasting their time waiting and waiting and waiting !!!!

I believe there are more forums about fly fishing than trawler fishing, maybe cos ones a job and the other is a pass time!!!!

Hi guys I'm semi new to the RPF and only stumbled on this thread because I had a question about a X-wing I bought. To be frank I'm a collector/buyer, I'm not a talented builder like most of you... But....

Here is where you guys confuse me and if could answer this I will shut up and go back to reading....

(With all due respect) By saying a Studio Scale model has to use as many original parts as possible your making it such a dynamic idea that's it's almost impossible to achieve... With casting and recasting there is some shrinkage, new parts are discovered, new ways of casting, machining, C.A.D. ing, new paints, new painting techniques on and on would make only the latest version of any ship ( unless perfectly cast of a original) by your definition not a Studio Scale Model. So every time 1 new greeblie is discovered your existing model becomes obsolete unless you upgrade your model. It also means my Master Replicas Falcon, Snow Speeder, At-At, my efx Tie and X-Wing are not Studio Scale models... It would mean when efx releases the Y-Wing should Steve N or one of you find 1 piece different then what it was thought to be that's not a SS model... I'm honestly not trying to insult anyone just showing the fault is such a hard line logic.

Again with all due respect
Yuri

Hi Yuri, you've not read what people said you've mist the point along the way, take away the ethic and you take away the point of the hobby, no one expects perfection or 100% anything but if you don't even bother to then don't sell it as a model that trying to be something it's not.

Where does it say anything that you've mentioned above by anyone?

With all due respect back to you

Guy

Guy but effort is subjective, who is the judge ? The community on here ? One person? The individual builder ? This thread is about a Y-Wing someone bought of eBay, the seller admit it wasn't 100% screen accurate but it could have been his best attempt at replicating a Y-Wing based on photographs and known parts. Yet it still doesn't hold up to the standard

$500???? for this resin kit tells me that theres something wrong wit this sale full stop!! Its a great replica of a Y wing and thats great..... but would it sell if it was just a replica ? And would he get the price asked if it wasn't listed as studio scale?

If you build an MPC Vader tie and add a 2 inch tube with some random parts and call it a tie bomber is it a tie Bomber? It used some of the same parts and thats great. It might be the best I can do but that doesn't mean its a studio scale tie bomber??

I'm not sure why its so hard to get that

Studio scale replicas aim to replicate
The size of the subject as close as possible using the known kit parts to help, then add the kit parts to detail once its sized and at least an attempt to paint it like the original model.

Because you don't know about this build and why it was done the way out is doesn't mean that no one else does !!

Its $500 for this kit???? ITs repeatedly listed on ebay and in this sense its done to generate an income and run as a profit making thing!!!!

If people are happy to Pay $500 for it then thats great for them but personally I feel theres an element of wool being pulled over peoples eyes by labelling it as studio scale. cos people trust that it is an accurate representation based on the title????

Robert burns makes some amazing kits but doesn't label them in a way to encourage misguided sales and so do a lot of other Sci Fi kit makers. They sell them as what they are replicas and in a certain scale.

Its called ethics. And if someone hasn't had the time, money or experience or knowledge of kit parts to recreate it to a standard thats remotely considered studio scale then dont you think the price tag should reflect that and so should the description!!!

Or perhaps he should put the price up as its clearly a bargain at $500 for all the time and energy spent researching the model that he sells as a studio scale Y wing,
The trouble is everyone thinks its people talents being banged on!!! its nothing to do with talent, its ethics !!!

If you dont agree with any of that, then would you like to by a real Ferrari for $3000, genuine Ferrari built from genuine parts, Well its the wing mirrors and gear knob on a really well designed kit car, totally spot on in every detail just $3000 to you absolute bargain. Its the best I could do but its DEFINITELY A FERRARI !00%

Let me know if you want my paypal details, includes shipping to anywhere ....its a big crate about 7 foot long!!!

Actually for my $30,000 I rather buy a 1967 Chevelle Malibu with a 350 and upgrade it to a 396 crate engine, put a oversized 4 barrel edelbrock carb on her, run her through a dyno, shorten the compression ratio and still spend about $15,000 less then a legit 1967 Chevelle SS would cost. You seem to be the guy who would be worried that the VIN isn't for a Chevelle SS, I'm the guy laughing at you in my rear view mirror cause my " Vin # - 350 Malibu" just smoked your "395 SS"

Still want to use car references
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415511415.192745.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415511423.336007.jpg

In case your not !00% in this case SS stands for Super Sport not Studio Scale, don't want to offend anyone here. And also I don't need your crate. I would have it picked up and dropped off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415512143.025785.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what Guy saying that genuine Ferrari wing mirrors and a gear knob installed on a $3000 kit car doesn't make the car a genuine Ferrari has to do with you spending $30,000 on a 1967 Chevelle Malibu so you can can make an SS Clone.

If you were to swap out the engine and the badging on the Chevelle Malibu to make it an SS, it still didn't roll out of the factory a genuine legit 1967 Chevelle SS with the factory number matching SS options (which matters to hardcore car collectors). But, the car did start life as an actual 67 Chevelle Malibu, not a kit car probably built from a Pontiac Fiero with genuine Chevelle mirrors and a shift knob, so it's not really a head on comparison.

To throw this into studio scale comparison, the Chevelle SS Clone would pass muster and would be welcomed here. It has all the Chevelle's actual components with the upgrades to make the car look exactly like the SS and probably perform just as good if not better (especially with your performance upgrades), the Ferrari kit car however would not. It does not have all the actual Ferrari components and only sort of looks like a Ferrari from the outside. Go inside the car, lift the hood, check the braking and exhaust systems, go under the car, and so on and so on, and they are not Ferrari. There's probably a Pontiac four banger in there with all stock Pontiac Fiero exhaust, braking system, steering, and so on and so on. Therefore, you have a sort of Ferrari looking body sitting on a Pontaic Fiero and none of those parts match an actual Ferrari, except for the two parts that Guy put on, and it sure as hell won't perform like one. While your SS Clone might beat an actual SS in performance and look just like it, the Ferrari kit car wouldn't never be able to do that up against an actual Ferrari.

Nice car, I love Chevelle's. Is it yours?

Actually for my $30,000 I rather buy a 1967 Chevelle Malibu with a 350 and upgrade it to a 396 crate engine, put a oversized 4 barrel edelbrock carb on her, run her through a dyno, shorten the compression ratio and still spend about $15,000 less then a legit 1967 Chevelle SS would cost. You seem to be the guy who would be worried that the VIN isn't for a Chevelle SS, I'm the guy laughing at you in my rear view mirror cause my " Vin # - 350 Malibu" just smoked your "395 SS"

Still want to use car references
View attachment 403371View attachment 403372

Yuri if you have come "new" to the forum and have asked for help in identifying an Icon X wing from the people with the experience to help you then its often a good practise to accept what you are advised. As it is you're coming across ,particularly with your last posts, exactly the way your're saying the people on this forum are acting over studio scale. Its interesting to note that its quite commonly the threads which raise the issue of studio model accuracy are done so by people without the experience to make a fair judgement anyway, who then object to the opinions expressed, more often than not because they've ended up with a model or kit that doesn't meet the standard expected here in this forum.
As you are a car fan you will know just how divisional that hobby is ,and just how selective and "clubby" groups can be. They make the differences between general and studio scale modelling look paltry in comparison and the divisons and subdivisons ,even within extremely narrow fields, look utterly ridiculous to an outsider. An individuals personal thoughts rarely counts and like any group its the majority of the contributing members opinions that measure and approve the guidelines that everybody else most comfortably follows. Its the RULES of the game and you either accept them or play somewhere else that meets the criteria you are most happy with.
This Ywing debate started because somebody basically asked how good the people on this forum thought it was as a Studio Scale model. They could have just easily asked over in the general model section. They didn't presumably because they wanted the OPINIONS of experienced SS builders. If that kit had appeared ten years ago many would have said yeah its a great model, but SINCE then so much effort and time has gone into researching each of the different version of Y wing used on screen, the exact parts used , the mounting techniques and the different paint jobs in an effort to recreate a model that comes as close to the original as is humanly possible at this moment in time, its not a good example anymore. Its all here a numerous threads. So by those now elevated standards the Y wing here just doesn't rate much interest. It doesn't add anything to move the knowledge base on Y wings any further along, like a rare photograph or a part identified. The rules of the game have changedabit more because as more people pour more time and more energy into researching each individual model the closer they get to achieving the 100% indentified total to create the build that many people here are looking for.Which is the entire point of this forum.
Most people here also build in the general model section as well. Alot of my builds ( when I get around to finishing them) do. I don't post here now unless I feel my work has anything to add to SS which ,as I generally build resin kits from the guys that did all the hardwork and research in the first place, is not very often. I just don't have the patience to asemble the" jigsaw puzzles" that many of the original models are, but I really appreciate the final results when they are standing in my model cupboard. Its a bit of a thrill!!
But again it depend on your budget and tastes. If you've won the lottery and one comes up for sale you can buy an original screen used Star Wars model for probably hundreds of thousands of pounds to judge by todays standards and everyone will be more than a little envious of you. Or you try to scratch build one yourself using all the information provided here in various threads and the original parts and the guys that did the same will say, welcome to the club and help you as much as they can because thats an expensive and time consuming effort. Or, you can buy a resin kit version and build that here and others doing the same will appreciate what you share doing so.
SS is just a different mind set. It doesn't take any less of the skills that you would find in general modelling just a strong bias towards identifying all the dimensions and parts that make as complete an identical physical model to the original screen used model as possible.

Look the long and short is the model we started the thread with is an awesome model at the same physical scale as the studio filmed miniature - just not studio accurate. The truth is nobody but the people here on this board know the difference. Buy it - Build it - Enjoy it.

If you want to go to the next step in the hobby to strive for studio accuracy... please jump on board.

For all the haters - please stop... people relatively innocently make this mistake all the time and yes to us its a Pain, to the average person its not. Politely explaining the difference and going on a rant, or diss'ing people's Very good work - not cool IMHO. we need all the talent we can get :)

Peace,
Jedi Dade

I agree with Al , I'm not a model builder, I don't fabricate patterns , I don't take commissions, I'm still learning the basics , I can't use machines, I don't own them , I can't use computers to make detailed drawings , I can't claim to have reinvented old wheels with new materials, I can't even decide on what's the best glue to use cos I don't have enough experience to know so. I tell you this though I'll build slave 1 and if someone as un talented as me can do it then they must be gods cos I'm a hack for using kit parts to help me size the thing I'm creating !!

Thank god I'm not a god as I'm allergic to the arrogance that comes with the position...

Mortals rule :), and so dies sticky back plastic and learning, more things I'm proud to still have the opportunity to do .... Must be a mortal thing :)

Wow Guy, If you're just a hack then I'm a pile! I love your work! I am still in aw of your studio scale A-wing and also your work on Slave 1. I know I have a GREAT deal to learn because I have only finished my second star destroyer and snowspeeder and they don't even stand up to the work here. I just have a lot of fun either way! That's what it's all about right! And I happily take all the help I can get!:D

I have purchased and built this kit from Ray and I absolutely love it. In fact I recently purchased a second because I liked it so much. It comes in at 27 inches long which I believe is pretty close to the filming models. To be clear. Are all the details accurate to the original Y-wings? No. Ray does not claim it is either. "It is a nice representation." Ray said that most of his influence for this came from Gold Leader or Tie Killer. When you talk details about the filming Y-Wings it gets really tricky because no two were the same. Here are a couple of quick photos of mine compared to a blown up overhead shot of Gold Leader from Lorne Peterson's book. You be the judge:
View attachment 399186View attachment 399187

Is that Ray's kit!!! You've really made it shine holy hecko

Wow Guy, If you're just a hack then I'm a pile! I love your work! I am still in aw of your studio scale A-wing and also your work on Slave 1. I know I have a GREAT deal to learn because I have only finished my second star destroyer and snowspeeder and they don't even stand up to the work here. I just have a lot of fun either way! That's what it's all about right! And I happily take all the help I can get!:D

Thanks and your not a pile in the slightest, I was kinda referencing that I'm not trained and self taught and still at the basics but push myself each time. One can only get better and this stuff, when its a part time hobby it takes longer. I still credit Mike P for that A-wing no matter what and the Slave is team work to but theres a good reason this time I want it to be as studio scale as it gets and it will be, even down to the wonky asymmetrical shape and what we know of the armature.... To be honest theres only a bit to design and were done :)

I have the GR Y-wing. It builds into a nice model, although I would not call it 'studio accurate', as the purists will have a fit.

Nice model, and Ray is a great guy to deal with.

Attachments

• IMG_7904.JPG
    IMG_7904.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 131
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back