Studio Scale Vader X-1 TIE Advanced Progress

Yep. I agree whole-heartedly, and I dislike "camps" as much as you do. :)

With my house also having to serve as a living space, I can't fill all my rooms with models (which the wife accurately assumes would happen if I was left unsupervised, heh). So I only want to limit myself to studio scale - I also realize this is an arbitrary definition to put on things that aren't screen-used models, and even within my personal preferences, there is wiggle room.

Unfortunately this particular kit doesn't stoke my fire the way I wanted it to. No offense should be taken by any parties - like I said - personal preference. It's a great kit. Glad we're not flaming each other here.

I wasn't aware this was a "two camps" thing... I have Steve's TIE, and Chris's X-1. I think they are both great kits. I think the only people that would take exception to Chris's kits are "rivet counters". And the casting I got was pretty clean, no "boogers" either. I can very easily modify it and add greeblies to bring it closer to studio "accurate" and I am planning to. It's a great base to work up off of, and one of the main things I am happy about it is the wings are the right angle, unlike the ones on the old ERTL kits that were horribly off.

Chris's Vader TIE is the only one out there. As far as the cockpit ball being too "small", it seems to be the same size as the standard TIE, although there are some differences in the cockpit hatch. It will still look beautiful though and the right size when displayed next to Steve's TIE or the CC X-Wing, of which I am receiving soon that I commissioned someone to build up to have a nice ANH studio scale "sized" display collection.

I see a lot of "studio scale" Y-Wings here also that people seem to admire even if the builders could not get all the original kit parts that "rivet counters" manage to. I don't see their work being knocked.

I don't know Chris personally, but I am wondering why people seem to be picking it apart instead of enjoying it. As the CC X-Wing, it is the only game out there until someone else presents one. I got a PM prior to this discourse challenging my describing it as "studio scale" and then some of the disparagement started appearing here (but not from the board member who PMed me). If this is a matter of agendas or anyone being threatened by Chris's offering, until an alternative is offered, I would hope people would enjoy Chris's work and build them until something else is presented.

JV

Here are some first pitcures of the build up.

The wings do take a little work, but angle in real nice. They still need the screens, but I will add them after the resin putty dries and I have sanded the outer edges smooth.

WINGS.jpg

Then I started making room inside for the batteries (this one will take 3 instead of the 2 in the standard TIE to accomodate the extra LEDs for the engines.

BATTERY.jpg

Then I found a spot on the bottom to hide the switch.

ELECTRONICS.jpg

Finally, the Vader that comes with the kit is great with very nice detail, but I wanted to reduce the scale to match the pilot size in my Standard TIE so I used this Vader candy dispenser that is a little smaller to bring his size down to the scale I want. Once the putty dries I will sculpt the details and add arms and paint him.

VADER_MOD.jpg

I think this will go pretty fast, since I worked out the details and how to do the interior lighting on my other TIE so stay tuned.

JV

LOL...I think we all may have been PM'd on this one. :) That is ok though and I don't mind since I have my own view anyway...lol... B)

Bottom line for me is that I will be honored to own Chris's kit. If one day another piece offered bests his... I will also be honored to own that one. I go for the most accurate of the specific design that is out at that current time. And...FOR SURE.... I DO NOT count rivets. :) LOL. I have actually experienced franchises ruined by that type of behavior. However.. if it is constructively done instead of bitterly done... it can cause a project to improve greatly.

I think these spelling bee kids have taken my spelling mojo. :) LOL.

I can't wait to see how she turns out JV. Looks GREAT

Eaton... I would LOVE to see what treasures your home has in it. LOL. Crowded as it may be. LOL. I have viewed your site before and I am very impressed with your work.

I just LOVE this stuff. You guys are awesome. Keep the masterpieces comin. Especially now that ILM is no more and renamed. :(

Finished adding the screen mesh on the wings which look awesome. Pics of the painted versions soon to come (all that masking :cry )

WING_1.jpg

WING_2.jpg

And while Chris packages the kit with an awesome Vader figure, I needed to scale him down a bit to match the scale of the pilot in my standard TIE for scale consistancy and also to make room for all the lighting and extra cockpit detail to be added. Here's how he started and ended up. I really hated performing surgery on Chris's Vader sculpt (Vader got cut up again) but I was able to cannibalize the limbs and legs to add to the new pilot figure. His robe is black gaffer's tape painted flat black.

VADER.jpg

Stay tuned for more this week.

JV

I think it looks awesome. I know the work and research that goes into making a kit so my hats off to the builder.

Ok I have to ask.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
I see a lot of "studio scale" Y-Wings here also that people seem to admire even if the builders could not get all the original kit parts that "rivet counters" manage to. I don't see their work being knocked.
[/b]

Is this a bad thing in your mind? Is there something wrong with wanting to get things to look the way you want? Is Neison a "rivet counter" because his TIE has all the correct parts? I don't understand the reasoning behind this insult. people have diffrent tastes in kits or projects they build. Because someone wants to go a little further in a project than someone else you feel you need to label them with some kind of insult?

I just don't understand this.

<div class='quotetop'>(Boba Flint @ Jun 18 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1263709[/snapback]</div>
Ok I have to ask.

<div class='quotetop'>
[/b]

Is this a bad thing in your mind? Is there something wrong with wanting to get things to look the way you want? Is Neison a "rivet counter" because his TIE has all the correct parts? I don't understand the reasoning behind this insult. people have diffrent tastes in kits or projects they build. Because someone wants to go a little further in a project than someone else you feel you need to label them with some kind of insult?

I just don't understand this.
[/b][/quote]

I was not insulting "rivet counters".

In fact, the expression was used by Steve in an e-mail to me. Why anyone would be offended by the expression, I don't know... it is used I assume to describe modelers who are detail oriented as the many threads in this forum demonstrate and is not a derogatory term. How you could interpret what I said as an insult is reflective of perhaps your own insecurity with the phrase as being something negative?

I was not insulting Steve either.

Why is this subject still even being discussed? Can you take it to another thread and perhaps discuss the "true accuracy" of a Vader TIE Fighter somewhere else? I'm getting tired of seeing these postings here, which seem to be provoked because I called Chris's TIE "studio scale", which I believe it is because of it's size, and I am ACCURIZING IT to BE closer to the shooting model. For anyone to have so much time worrying about constantly hammering people this model is not "studio scale" to their definition because the cockpit ball is a few millimeters off or some greeblies aren't there from the kits used on the studio model to serve whatever agendas, I think they would be better served working on their own stuff or doing their own "studio scale" Vader TIE instead of bitching here about how "wrong" Chris's model is. If anyone wants to do better, than go research and make one. Like I said, I have NEVER seen this kind of discourse in other threads about "studio scale" Y-Wings that are custom built by other modelers, I don't see them being dismissed by other forum members, I see them complimented and people discussing differences and how they are making theirs as accurate as possible based on the resources and some respect shown. From the first posting discussing how people didn't like theirs or maligning it for not having certain details, I sense this all may be about something else that has nothing to do with Chris's fine work but I am not going to dignify it by going there in this forum. It's a great "base" to work off of to turn into true "studio scale" for the person who wants to take that on, as has been done in the past with other "innacurate" "studio scale" pieces in the past like the Icons TIE and X-Wing which Steve and Captain Cardboard improved upon with their offerings. I am not allowed to call mine "studio scale" when I am making changes to mine also in the same way to get it closer to the studio miniature?

Am I allowed to call it "studio SIZED"? Will that make people bug off already about it?

Chris built his prototype from SCRATCH. He worked out the engineering and how it went together on his OWN and he has made it available to modelers who would like a studio "scale" or studio "sized" replica for their collection to display next to their TIEs or X-Wings, etc. ***** give him some credit for that before continuing to be so dismissive of the work. I've been posting pictures of how I am modifying it to be closer to the shooting model as well as a display piece with other extras.

Funny thing... no one jumped down my throat for adding the detailed lit cockpit on my studio scale TIE in another threas, although the studio models do not have the details. Does that now toss that model out of the "studio scale" definition? Because it is not now studio "accurate" in the strictest sense of the word. I saw nothing but supportive comments in that thread.

I never imagined starting a thread to share my progress on this would provoke so much controversy.

Can people just let it go or are we going to continue debating who can and can't use the term "studio scale" and what the strictest defintion is? Maybe the forum staff should put up a rule as to what it means to dictate who can and can't post in this area based on that definition? Am I supposed to take this to the "general modeling forum?

Agreed. Let's get back to progressing the industry.

I am VERY THANKFUL that you ALL exist and that such fine creativity and talent is displayed.

Over a period of time, even before I joined the RPF, I have admired all of your works. Time is wasted , in my humble opinion, when your talents get caught up in of who is right and better. I, myself, have even been caught up in defense for some of you and have learned it serves no purpose except to one's own justification.

Bottom line is that you've ALL have proven yourselves in the great work you have contributed to, displayed and sold. I am proud to be one of those in your target market. :)

"Can't we all just get along?" LOL :) Never thought I would quote that..lol.

GREAT WORK TO ALL OF YOU.

THANK YOU ALL FOR CONTINUING THE DREAM.

Back to Studio Scale and Creative Modeling people. B)

GREAT Days are in front of us all. CHA-CHING... LOL.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
THANK YOU ALL FOR CONTINUING THE DREAM.[/b]

I second what Kurt said.

Hello, all. FNG here. I'm glad to finally have been able to register. Kurt is an old and dear friend of mine for the past 12 years. Thanks Kurt for telling me about the RPF and inviting me to join. :D

Some of you may know me as GLU_Sniffah from HobbyTalk and HAL9000 from SSM and other places. Since there's already another HAL here, I chose the name Hand Solo. Heck, I figured THAT one wouldn't be taken.

I looked for an intro thread, but didn't find one, so I thought I'd chime in here.

Kurt is providing me the opportunity to build my first Studio Scale replicas and I look forward to the challenges and opportunities.

I've been keeping track of this thread and many others as a guest and I have to say there's a wealth of resources here that are immensely useful to any of us who are either collectors, builders, makers or all three.

The work here is something to be proud of and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these TIEs and begin work myself.

Kurt. See ya on the boards. You should have a PM...

~ Bob. AKA 'Hand'. :D

I'm definitely gonna get me one of those kits too JV. I e-mailed Chris about obtaining one and it's gonna look great next to my CC X-Wing.
Keep us posted with more assembly updates.

Well it has been coming along well despite some setbacks. I screwed up the wings and had to redo them, thankfully I was able to get another set from Chris. Now the wings look PERFECT. I painted the underpanel area flat black and the screens satin black so that they are not too shiny and they give a great reflecting quality when light moves past them similar to how Koolshade gives that neat effect on the standard TIE wings.

WINGS_PAINTED.jpg

WINGS_PAINTED_2.jpg

The panel lines on the body look good, but I was worried they'd get lost after a few coats of paint, so I decided to rescribe them:

SCRIBING_1.jpg

SCRIBING_2.jpg
SCRIBING_3.jpg

However after several attempts to match symmetry on each side (and a lot of puttying to correct mistakes), I am abandoning the effort and am simply going to get really thin sheet stryene and after tracing the surface with tracing paper, I will then add precut panels from a template I am going to create to make sure everything is even. I am going to do the same on the back hull as well. I am also going to unbox my Code 3 Vader TIE and compare it to photos of the shooting model and if it looks like a good match use it as a guide for these details.

This means stripping most of the surface detail but it's no biggie since I will mostly be replacing rectangles, squares, and the odd shaped raised panel.

I also modified the back vents to be more film accurate... this is a great "out of the box kit" but since I want to be as accurate to the shooting model as possible, I chose to do some modifications accurizing things like the two vents (I brought the edges up a little so they are no longer as long as they were originally.

VENTS.jpg

Some other progress pics. I am using the cracked window canopy from my SS TIE that I repaired for this one since Steve sent me a replacement for my standard TIE when I was building it. I think it adds to the accuracy level a little more and will help match the look as it is displayed next to my standard TIE:

TEST_FIT_1.jpg

TEST_FIT.jpg

It's taking me longer to finish since I am discovering things I want to change as I have been going along and solving problems in how to do it right (i.e. styrene panels vs. rescribing) but in the end it will be worth it.

JV

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back