Studio Scale Vader X-1 TIE Advanced Progress

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by jvasilatos, Jun 13, 2006.

1. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

Chris Kelley sent me the Vader X-1 last Friday after I ordered it a week prior. His master was a complete scratchbuild, and these parts and the detail are incredible. It could have very well been cast from the studio model that's how good it looks, doubly amazing to me knowing he mastered it all by himself.

You want pictures? Stay tuned... I will take some of the parts tonight to show it in it's raw form before I start building it up this week (first up will be doing the cockpit lighting and the wings which will be very quick and easy to paint.) I expect this will take less time than the Studio Scale standard TIE because of the efforts it took to do the wing frames with Koolshade and I worked out the cockpit lighting logistics already PLUS I won't have to hollow out this hull any extra since it was engineered with a hollow core with a cockpit detail kit included.

It's really amazing, thanks Chris for creating this great studio scale replica kit of Vader's TIE. This has been my first experience with him and I don't know what other kits he's done aside from his interceptor but he is one hell of a talented resin kit creator.

Stand by for pictures in the morning...

JV

2. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

Congratulation JV :thumbsup

I wonder How to order the model?

Plz, PM me regrading price & contact with him? :D

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....can't wait to see these pix. I really wanted one of these but held off until someone else got one to show off....this may sway me. Look forward to the pix.

4. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ckwanwoo @ Jun 13 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]1260922[/snapback]</div>
    Here is his page at Starship Modeler where you can also find his email address:

http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery10/ck_020206_tiea.htm

5. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Been talking with Chris... he has entered my que. :)

6. Viceland

Viceland Active Member

I have a Chris Kelley TIE Interceptor kt and TIE Advanced kit, and I can second that they are both wonderful.

The only problem I have with the Vader TIE is not with the kit, but with the base that's included, it's nice and all, but...
    1. The base is very large, and this to me is a waste of resin, especially if you were planning on using another base, or making your own;
    2. Added resin raises price of the kit, I would estimate the resin used for the base makes up at least 1/3 of the total resin used per kit;
    3. The base is very heavy, and this adds unneccessary weight and size to the package, raising shipping cost.

Other than that, the kit is really great. Chris is very friendly and FAST. He sent me the correct cockpit window when he realized he shipped an Interceptor window with the Advanced kit, before I even noticed.

7. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have Chris's TIE, TIE Interceptor and the Vader X-1 kit also. I am also amazed at his work, being scratch built. JV, I'm awaiting your progress pics eagerly. I'm in the process of building his TIE kit now, but have too many other projects. Chris is a great guy to deal with and "NO WAITING". After payment you have your kits within 5 days. I posted that interest thread in the JY a while back, but now you'll see his work at it's best with JV doing the buildup. :thumbsup

8. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

I also have both the Interceptor and the X-1. VERY cool stuff..

Chris was a definitely a great guy to deal w/. Like Vice, he sent me the correct cockpit window before I noticed.

9. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

Okay guys. Trust me... you don't want to miss out on this kit. As promised, here are pics of what I got.

Also, I didn't think the base was a "waste" of resin, I had originally thought I would be using another base also (a copy of the Icons base that is under my standard TIE) but I like the detail Chris put into it and if I DON'T use it for the Advanced, it will come in handy with say, a Y-Wing build?

First, the parts out of the box next to my Neissen TIE so you can see the great scale match.

[​IMG]

Some closer pics showing off the detail...

[​IMG]

Showing the interior where you can fit electronics for lights. :D

[​IMG]

Cockpit and greeblie detail...

[​IMG]

The wings, mesh for the wing solar panels and great base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, the main hull trimmed (I couldn't wait to dive in a little... and I think maybe Chris sent me an Interceptor frame also, because it did seem flatter so I put the canopy from my standard TIE in which does look better but I will have to check on the canopy situation with him. I do think this looks a little more accurate. And if he did send me the right frame, I may recast this one so I can have the same kind for this model as the standard TIE...

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Like I said... see for yourself, this is an awesome kit.

JV

10. Viceland

Viceland Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(jvasilatos @ Jun 13 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1261142[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that came out wrong, I meant it in a "resin could have been used to pour MORE kits for MORE people instead" kind of waste... and I agree the base has nice detail.

11. LewisD

LewisD New Member

Once completed, I'd be curious to see pics of this model next to a Code 3 Tie Advanced....

12. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(LewisD @ Jun 14 2006, 03:46 AM) [snapback]1261404[/snapback]</div>
    I think the Code 3 is bigger, even though the scale of the Vader inside the Code 3 is smaller.

I have pics of it here:

http://www.nitestar.com/CODE3/

JV

13. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

JV.

I have a question. :)

How do you think about Chris's Tie and Code3's Tie for details?

14. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ckwanwoo @ Jun 14 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]1261475[/snapback]</div>
    I would have to putn them side by side to compare but on first glance both are very impressive. LEt me get back to you on that. What was Code 3's claim with access to the shooting miniature?

JV

15. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

Great-looking kit. I look forward to the build.

I wonder if Annie ever went "Yipee" while flying it? (Sorry to ruin your Original Trilogy high with that image...) ;)

16. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have this kit - selling it because it's not truly studio scale.

It's a nice kit, but it's not exactly what I wanted in a Vader TIE.

PM me if you want it.

17. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I would never get into a discussion of exactness because I would most likely lose to those of you on this board. LOL... However, I believe that Chris knows now this kit not to be exactly what some would look for. Studio Scale,.. I just don't have a comparison or the proper knowledge of the original yet. That said, for all intent and purpose, it is a Vader TIE. There is no mistaking that. It seems to be one of two large scale Vader TIE's available today. Being a collector of top notch Studio Scale items as close to the original as possible,.. I sometimes face the possiblity that exactness is not available from the source. That is not to say that it will not be in the future, but it certainly places the current options at premium. That is also why I have some of you fine masters build-up some of this stuff,... so that it will be as close as possible. Even MR has failed in being exact in many things, yet I have ALL they have offered to date and I am not disappointed. Some of you mastered those items. Still, if something is released that is better in the future,.. I will get that as well.
    I sound like a broken record. :)
    Bottom line is that Chris does good kits. If you want a good TIE, see Chris. If you want an EXACT and PERFECT TIE...see Steve. I like both, but for different purpose.
    The Vader TIE,...Hmmmmmmm.... doesn't seem to be much offered at this time. Thoughts? I can only imagine and speculate an MR version in the future. But will it be exact? LOL. Only time will tell... B)

18. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jun 15 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]1261797[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you say it's not "truly" studio scale?

It's the same size as the studio model, if not exact in every detail.

People have been picking apart measurment issues on the fuselage of the CC X-Wing.

Does that mean it is not studio scale either?

19. moffeaton

Yes, the CC X-Wing body is off - but it's the only show in town, and was a hell of a lot cleaner cast than most kits out there.

The ball on the Vader TIE we're discussing here is smaller than your SS TIE (your photos are at an angle and do not show this - do you want me to take photos to show what I saw when I compared the two?)- the whole thing is a little undersized. Also - not a single cardstock "chip detail" matches up with readily available photos. Detailing is "Al Wong close" not accurate. You know what I mean?

Like I said - it's a great model kit and still worth $350 in the garage kit world - just not what I personally wanted, and it was sold to me as STUDIO SCALE. I'm not angry, worried, etc - just would rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I would - I want my TIEs to be consistant to what I have. I'm not a rivet counter, but I do have pretty high standards with my cast resin purchases. And this kit has a lot of resin boogers - I'm just too busy to futz with it - it looked cleaner in the pics I saw initially.

20. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jun 15 2006, 07:19 AM) [snapback]1262072[/snapback]</div>
    Good Point.

I believe this to be personal preference. It is obvious that the TIE cockpit ball is smaller on all of Chris's kits and Chris admittedly knows this. I know Eaton to be correct in his assessment of it being STUDIO SCALE, but still believe many will be pleased with Chris's kits. They are good and available. The Kelly kits will make my office while the Neisen kits will make my personal museum floor. It seems this is turning into two camps and it doesn't really need to. Offense or defense in this matter just isn't necessary...it's all good.... and all a choice. The kits serve two different purposes for different types of collectors. ENJOY what ya can. LOL :)

21. moffeaton

Yep. I agree whole-heartedly, and I dislike "camps" as much as you do. :)

With my house also having to serve as a living space, I can't fill all my rooms with models (which the wife accurately assumes would happen if I was left unsupervised, heh). So I only want to limit myself to studio scale - I also realize this is an arbitrary definition to put on things that aren't screen-used models, and even within my personal preferences, there is wiggle room.

Unfortunately this particular kit doesn't stoke my fire the way I wanted it to. No offense should be taken by any parties - like I said - personal preference. It's a great kit. Glad we're not flaming each other here.

22. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

I wasn't aware this was a "two camps" thing... I have Steve's TIE, and Chris's X-1. I think they are both great kits. I think the only people that would take exception to Chris's kits are "rivet counters". And the casting I got was pretty clean, no "boogers" either. I can very easily modify it and add greeblies to bring it closer to studio "accurate" and I am planning to. It's a great base to work up off of, and one of the main things I am happy about it is the wings are the right angle, unlike the ones on the old ERTL kits that were horribly off.

Chris's Vader TIE is the only one out there. As far as the cockpit ball being too "small", it seems to be the same size as the standard TIE, although there are some differences in the cockpit hatch. It will still look beautiful though and the right size when displayed next to Steve's TIE or the CC X-Wing, of which I am receiving soon that I commissioned someone to build up to have a nice ANH studio scale "sized" display collection.

I see a lot of "studio scale" Y-Wings here also that people seem to admire even if the builders could not get all the original kit parts that "rivet counters" manage to. I don't see their work being knocked.

I don't know Chris personally, but I am wondering why people seem to be picking it apart instead of enjoying it. As the CC X-Wing, it is the only game out there until someone else presents one. I got a PM prior to this discourse challenging my describing it as "studio scale" and then some of the disparagement started appearing here (but not from the board member who PMed me). If this is a matter of agendas or anyone being threatened by Chris's offering, until an alternative is offered, I would hope people would enjoy Chris's work and build them until something else is presented.

JV

23. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

Here are some first pitcures of the build up.

The wings do take a little work, but angle in real nice. They still need the screens, but I will add them after the resin putty dries and I have sanded the outer edges smooth.

[​IMG]

Then I started making room inside for the batteries (this one will take 3 instead of the 2 in the standard TIE to accomodate the extra LEDs for the engines.

[​IMG]

Then I found a spot on the bottom to hide the switch.

[​IMG]

Finally, the Vader that comes with the kit is great with very nice detail, but I wanted to reduce the scale to match the pilot size in my Standard TIE so I used this Vader candy dispenser that is a little smaller to bring his size down to the scale I want. Once the putty dries I will sculpt the details and add arms and paint him.

[​IMG]

I think this will go pretty fast, since I worked out the details and how to do the interior lighting on my other TIE so stay tuned.

JV

24. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

LOL...I think we all may have been PM'd on this one. :) That is ok though and I don't mind since I have my own view anyway...lol... B)

Bottom line for me is that I will be honored to own Chris's kit. If one day another piece offered bests his... I will also be honored to own that one. I go for the most accurate of the specific design that is out at that current time. And...FOR SURE.... I DO NOT count rivets. :) LOL. I have actually experienced franchises ruined by that type of behavior. However.. if it is constructively done instead of bitterly done... it can cause a project to improve greatly.

I think these spelling bee kids have taken my spelling mojo. :) LOL.

I can't wait to see how she turns out JV. Looks GREAT

Eaton... I would LOVE to see what treasures your home has in it. LOL. Crowded as it may be. LOL. I have viewed your site before and I am very impressed with your work.

I just LOVE this stuff. You guys are awesome. Keep the masterpieces comin. Especially now that ILM is no more and renamed. :(

25. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

Finished adding the screen mesh on the wings which look awesome. Pics of the painted versions soon to come (all that masking :cry )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And while Chris packages the kit with an awesome Vader figure, I needed to scale him down a bit to match the scale of the pilot in my standard TIE for scale consistancy and also to make room for all the lighting and extra cockpit detail to be added. Here's how he started and ended up. I really hated performing surgery on Chris's Vader sculpt (Vader got cut up again) but I was able to cannibalize the limbs and legs to add to the new pilot figure. His robe is black gaffer's tape painted flat black.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more this week.

JV

26. bcgd

bcgd Well-Known Member

Looking sharp JV. I especially like your resourcefulness in using the gaffer tape on Vader. :thumbsup

27. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

VERY NICE JV..

28. REL

REL Sr Member

I think it looks awesome. I know the work and research that goes into making a kit so my hats off to the builder.

29. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sweet JV, keep the pics a coming. :)

30. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok I have to ask.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Is this a bad thing in your mind? Is there something wrong with wanting to get things to look the way you want? Is Neison a "rivet counter" because his TIE has all the correct parts? I don't understand the reasoning behind this insult. people have diffrent tastes in kits or projects they build. Because someone wants to go a little further in a project than someone else you feel you need to label them with some kind of insult?

I just don't understand this.

31. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Boba Flint @ Jun 18 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]1263709[/snapback]</div>
    Is this a bad thing in your mind? Is there something wrong with wanting to get things to look the way you want? Is Neison a "rivet counter" because his TIE has all the correct parts? I don't understand the reasoning behind this insult. people have diffrent tastes in kits or projects they build. Because someone wants to go a little further in a project than someone else you feel you need to label them with some kind of insult?

I just don't understand this.
    [/b][/quote]

I was not insulting "rivet counters".

In fact, the expression was used by Steve in an e-mail to me. Why anyone would be offended by the expression, I don't know... it is used I assume to describe modelers who are detail oriented as the many threads in this forum demonstrate and is not a derogatory term. How you could interpret what I said as an insult is reflective of perhaps your own insecurity with the phrase as being something negative?

I was not insulting Steve either.

Why is this subject still even being discussed? Can you take it to another thread and perhaps discuss the "true accuracy" of a Vader TIE Fighter somewhere else? I'm getting tired of seeing these postings here, which seem to be provoked because I called Chris's TIE "studio scale", which I believe it is because of it's size, and I am ACCURIZING IT to BE closer to the shooting model. For anyone to have so much time worrying about constantly hammering people this model is not "studio scale" to their definition because the cockpit ball is a few millimeters off or some greeblies aren't there from the kits used on the studio model to serve whatever agendas, I think they would be better served working on their own stuff or doing their own "studio scale" Vader TIE instead of * here about how "wrong" Chris's model is. If anyone wants to do better, than go research and make one. Like I said, I have NEVER seen this kind of discourse in other threads about "studio scale" Y-Wings that are custom built by other modelers, I don't see them being dismissed by other forum members, I see them complimented and people discussing differences and how they are making theirs as accurate as possible based on the resources and some respect shown. From the first posting discussing how people didn't like theirs or maligning it for not having certain details, I sense this all may be about something else that has nothing to do with Chris's fine work but I am not going to dignify it by going there in this forum. It's a great "base" to work off of to turn into true "studio scale" for the person who wants to take that on, as has been done in the past with other "innacurate" "studio scale" pieces in the past like the Icons TIE and X-Wing which Steve and Captain Cardboard improved upon with their offerings. I am not allowed to call mine "studio scale" when I am making changes to mine also in the same way to get it closer to the studio miniature?

Am I allowed to call it "studio SIZED"? Will that make people bug off already about it?

Chris built his prototype from SCRATCH. He worked out the engineering and how it went together on his OWN and he has made it available to modelers who would like a studio "scale" or studio "sized" replica for their collection to display next to their TIEs or X-Wings, etc. Jesus give him some credit for that before continuing to be so dismissive of the work. I've been posting pictures of how I am modifying it to be closer to the shooting model as well as a display piece with other extras.

Funny thing... no one jumped down my throat for adding the detailed lit cockpit on my studio scale TIE in another threas, although the studio models do not have the details. Does that now toss that model out of the "studio scale" definition? Because it is not now studio "accurate" in the strictest sense of the word. I saw nothing but supportive comments in that thread.

I never imagined starting a thread to share my progress on this would provoke so much controversy.

Can people just let it go or are we going to continue debating who can and can't use the term "studio scale" and what the strictest defintion is? Maybe the forum staff should put up a rule as to what it means to dictate who can and can't post in this area based on that definition? Am I supposed to take this to the "general modeling forum?

32. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Agreed. Let's get back to progressing the industry.

I am VERY THANKFUL that you ALL exist and that such fine creativity and talent is displayed.

Over a period of time, even before I joined the RPF, I have admired all of your works. Time is wasted , in my humble opinion, when your talents get caught up in of who is right and better. I, myself, have even been caught up in defense for some of you and have learned it serves no purpose except to one's own justification.

Bottom line is that you've ALL have proven yourselves in the great work you have contributed to, displayed and sold. I am proud to be one of those in your target market. :)

"Can't we all just get along?" LOL :) Never thought I would quote that..lol.

GREAT WORK TO ALL OF YOU.

THANK YOU ALL FOR CONTINUING THE DREAM.

Back to Studio Scale and Creative Modeling people. B)

GREAT Days are in front of us all. CHA-CHING... LOL.

33. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    I second what Kurt said.

Hello, all. FNG here. I'm glad to finally have been able to register. Kurt is an old and dear friend of mine for the past 12 years. Thanks Kurt for telling me about the RPF and inviting me to join. :D

Some of you may know me as GLU_Sniffah from HobbyTalk and HAL9000 from SSM and other places. Since there's already another HAL here, I chose the name Hand Solo. Heck, I figured THAT one wouldn't be taken.

I looked for an intro thread, but didn't find one, so I thought I'd chime in here.

Kurt is providing me the opportunity to build my first Studio Scale replicas and I look forward to the challenges and opportunities.

I've been keeping track of this thread and many others as a guest and I have to say there's a wealth of resources here that are immensely useful to any of us who are either collectors, builders, makers or all three.

The work here is something to be proud of and I can't wait to get my hands on one of these TIEs and begin work myself.

Kurt. See ya on the boards. You should have a PM...

~ Bob. AKA 'Hand'. :D

34. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I'm definitely gonna get me one of those kits too JV. I e-mailed Chris about obtaining one and it's gonna look great next to my CC X-Wing.
    Keep us posted with more assembly updates.

35. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

i cant wait to get mine.
    Hey moffeaton.. long time no hear huh.?

36. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

How about some updated pics on your progress JV? It looked like you were doing well.

37. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

Well it has been coming along well despite some setbacks. I screwed up the wings and had to redo them, thankfully I was able to get another set from Chris. Now the wings look PERFECT. I painted the underpanel area flat black and the screens satin black so that they are not too shiny and they give a great reflecting quality when light moves past them similar to how Koolshade gives that neat effect on the standard TIE wings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The panel lines on the body look good, but I was worried they'd get lost after a few coats of paint, so I decided to rescribe them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

However after several attempts to match symmetry on each side (and a lot of puttying to correct mistakes), I am abandoning the effort and am simply going to get really thin sheet stryene and after tracing the surface with tracing paper, I will then add precut panels from a template I am going to create to make sure everything is even. I am going to do the same on the back hull as well. I am also going to unbox my Code 3 Vader TIE and compare it to photos of the shooting model and if it looks like a good match use it as a guide for these details.

This means stripping most of the surface detail but it's no biggie since I will mostly be replacing rectangles, squares, and the odd shaped raised panel.

I also modified the back vents to be more film accurate... this is a great "out of the box kit" but since I want to be as accurate to the shooting model as possible, I chose to do some modifications accurizing things like the two vents (I brought the edges up a little so they are no longer as long as they were originally.

[​IMG]

Some other progress pics. I am using the cracked window canopy from my SS TIE that I repaired for this one since Steve sent me a replacement for my standard TIE when I was building it. I think it adds to the accuracy level a little more and will help match the look as it is displayed next to my standard TIE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's taking me longer to finish since I am discovering things I want to change as I have been going along and solving problems in how to do it right (i.e. styrene panels vs. rescribing) but in the end it will be worth it.

JV

38. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

DUUUUUUUUDE.

So KEWL.

39. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

[​IMG]

" Stay in attack formation... "

:thumbsup

40. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Great update Jerry. I can't wait to tackle my own X-1 kit when it arrives from Chris.

41. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Looking good JV. Love the wings. Sweet idea to use the two contrasting paint sheens.

42. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

Okay. Here is a picture of the sheet styrene plating I chose to do instead of continuing with the scribing. It consists of a base plate with the individual cut pieces glued on top from a template pattern I could use to make sure both sides were even. I have NO idea how people doing the Star Destroyers scribe or plate without going nuts:

[​IMG]

I have to say, as nice as the work is on the frame that Steve did for his SS TIE (of which I have an extra I was planning on using for this Advanced), it would probably serve the model better if I could fabricate a brand new one from scratch just a little smaller in diameter to "cheat" the smaller size of the cockpit ball and make it all look closer to scale. The one that came with it was kind of flat, Steve's is great in it's angles and detail... but something mixing the two inbetween would be ideal. I don't know how to scratchbuild it to look as nice as Steve's or Chris's to try and bring it "looking" to proper scale to the eye. I wonder what the ILM model guys made the cockpit frames from, I don't think they were found parts and I will have to search up and down to find the right sized circle rings if I am even going to attempt it otherwise I will stick with Steve's and just live with it.

Here is how I am replacing the surface detail on the back, from the original body sanded down to the sheet plating I am doing to keep the lines straight instead of scribing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have 3 more to make... then I will add the extra raised panel plates on top and match them to pics of the studio model. Then I have to finish the tops and bottoms of the arms connecting to the wings. Almost there....

This is becoming a complete overhaul since I was getting obsessed with bringing it closer to studio detail. As I said it's a great out of the box kit but customizing it has been fun to get it closer to pics of the MOM model.

JV

43. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

GREAT JOB Jerry..

Bet Chris is smiling ear to ear with your build of his kit.

Super. Just super.

44. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I can't wait to get my hands on this one... It's gonna be fun.

45. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I cant wait to start on mine.

46. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

I think I may have found a cockpit frame solution... the Hasbro Vader Gunner Station toy has a frame that might be the right scale that I would need to accurize but at least the base might be the perfect size...

[​IMG]

I will score one on E-Bay and hope I'm right re: size.

JV

47. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Looking good. Thanks for sharing the progress pics.

48. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Once again great updates Jerry. I just recieved my X-1 kit today and your online adventures on building this kit has been a great help.
    The number one issue I have found with the kit so far is the one that you already mentioned about the included cockpit frame. I agree it will have to be replaced.
    Btw the link you posted of the hasbro cockpit frame might not work 'as is' because the center octagon looks way too large.
    I think to solve the frame problem is to just start scratching a new one by using the outside ring of the original kit part as a guide for size. You can cut a new outside ring from thicker styrene with several passes from a compass fitted with a scriber.
    The inner framings could be done by cutting out a new center octagon from styrene and using structural T-stock for the radiating frame sections.
    This is probably the easiest way to do this especially if you don't have access to speedier high tech modeling gadgetry...like most of us here.

49. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member

The original cockpit ring frame is the right diameter, but it is not the right thickness... what do you mean about using a compass fitted to a scriber? It should also have an angled quality like the this frame from Steve's standard TIE:

[​IMG]

I think the TIE Advanced at the MOM was refitted with a TIE Interceptor cockpit frame, it is not like the frames on the rest of the ANH TIEs... something just doesn't look "right" because of the flatter quality instead of the jutted out quality like how Steve did his frame, also it looks like there were some other hybrid standard TIES in the MOM exhibit with Interceptor frames which could have muddied the research waters.

JV

50. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

The Hasbro Toy kills me. :lol

I can't wait to see your next progress pics Jerry.