Studio Scale Vader X-1 TIE Advanced Progress

jvasilatos

Sr Member
Chris Kelley sent me the Vader X-1 last Friday after I ordered it a week prior. His master was a complete scratchbuild, and these parts and the detail are incredible. It could have very well been cast from the studio model that's how good it looks, doubly amazing to me knowing he mastered it all by himself.

You want pictures? Stay tuned... I will take some of the parts tonight to show it in it's raw form before I start building it up this week (first up will be doing the cockpit lighting and the wings which will be very quick and easy to paint.) I expect this will take less time than the Studio Scale standard TIE because of the efforts it took to do the wing frames with Koolshade and I worked out the cockpit lighting logistics already PLUS I won't have to hollow out this hull any extra since it was engineered with a hollow core with a cockpit detail kit included.

It's really amazing, thanks Chris for creating this great studio scale replica kit of Vader's TIE. This has been my first experience with him and I don't know what other kits he's done aside from his interceptor but he is one hell of a talented resin kit creator.

Stand by for pictures in the morning...

JV

....can't wait to see these pix. I really wanted one of these but held off until someone else got one to show off....this may sway me. Look forward to the pix.

I have a Chris Kelley TIE Interceptor kt and TIE Advanced kit, and I can second that they are both wonderful.

The only problem I have with the Vader TIE is not with the kit, but with the base that's included, it's nice and all, but...
1. The base is very large, and this to me is a waste of resin, especially if you were planning on using another base, or making your own;
2. Added resin raises price of the kit, I would estimate the resin used for the base makes up at least 1/3 of the total resin used per kit;
3. The base is very heavy, and this adds unneccessary weight and size to the package, raising shipping cost.

Other than that, the kit is really great. Chris is very friendly and FAST. He sent me the correct cockpit window when he realized he shipped an Interceptor window with the Advanced kit, before I even noticed.

I have Chris's TIE, TIE Interceptor and the Vader X-1 kit also. I am also amazed at his work, being scratch built. JV, I'm awaiting your progress pics eagerly. I'm in the process of building his TIE kit now, but have too many other projects. Chris is a great guy to deal with and "NO WAITING". After payment you have your kits within 5 days. I posted that interest thread in the JY a while back, but now you'll see his work at it's best with JV doing the buildup. :thumbsup

I also have both the Interceptor and the X-1. VERY cool stuff..

Chris was a definitely a great guy to deal w/. Like Vice, he sent me the correct cockpit window before I noticed.

Okay guys. Trust me... you don't want to miss out on this kit. As promised, here are pics of what I got.

Also, I didn't think the base was a "waste" of resin, I had originally thought I would be using another base also (a copy of the Icons base that is under my standard TIE) but I like the detail Chris put into it and if I DON'T use it for the Advanced, it will come in handy with say, a Y-Wing build?

First, the parts out of the box next to my Neissen TIE so you can see the great scale match.

ADVANCED_1.jpg

Some closer pics showing off the detail...

ADVANCED_2.jpg

Showing the interior where you can fit electronics for lights. :D

ADVANCED_3.jpg

Cockpit and greeblie detail...

ADVANCED_4.jpg

The wings, mesh for the wing solar panels and great base.

ADVANCED_5.jpg

ADVANCED_6.jpg

And finally, the main hull trimmed (I couldn't wait to dive in a little... and I think maybe Chris sent me an Interceptor frame also, because it did seem flatter so I put the canopy from my standard TIE in which does look better but I will have to check on the canopy situation with him. I do think this looks a little more accurate. And if he did send me the right frame, I may recast this one so I can have the same kind for this model as the standard TIE...

ADVANCED_7.jpg

That's it for now. Like I said... see for yourself, this is an awesome kit.

JV

<div class='quotetop'>(jvasilatos @ Jun 13 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]1261142[/snapback]</div>
SNIP

Also, I didn't think the base was a "waste" of resin, I had originally thought I would be using another base also (a copy of the Icons base that is under my standard TIE) but I like the detail Chris put into it and if I DON'T use it for the Advanced, it will come in handy with say, a Y-Wing build?

SNIP
[/b]

Yeah, that came out wrong, I meant it in a "resin could have been used to pour MORE kits for MORE people instead" kind of waste... and I agree the base has nice detail.

<div class='quotetop'>(ckwanwoo @ Jun 14 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]1261475[/snapback]</div>
JV.

I have a question. :)

How do you think about Chris's Tie and Code3's Tie for details?
[/b]

I would have to putn them side by side to compare but on first glance both are very impressive. LEt me get back to you on that. What was Code 3's claim with access to the shooting miniature?

JV

Great-looking kit. I look forward to the build.

I wonder if Annie ever went "Yipee" while flying it? (Sorry to ruin your Original Trilogy high with that image...) ;)

I have this kit - selling it because it's not truly studio scale.

It's a nice kit, but it's not exactly what I wanted in a Vader TIE.

PM me if you want it.

I would never get into a discussion of exactness because I would most likely lose to those of you on this board. LOL... However, I believe that Chris knows now this kit not to be exactly what some would look for. Studio Scale,.. I just don't have a comparison or the proper knowledge of the original yet. That said, for all intent and purpose, it is a Vader TIE. There is no mistaking that. It seems to be one of two large scale Vader TIE's available today. Being a collector of top notch Studio Scale items as close to the original as possible,.. I sometimes face the possiblity that exactness is not available from the source. That is not to say that it will not be in the future, but it certainly places the current options at premium. That is also why I have some of you fine masters build-up some of this stuff,... so that it will be as close as possible. Even MR has failed in being exact in many things, yet I have ALL they have offered to date and I am not disappointed. Some of you mastered those items. Still, if something is released that is better in the future,.. I will get that as well.
I sound like a broken record. :)
Bottom line is that Chris does good kits. If you want a good TIE, see Chris. If you want an EXACT and PERFECT TIE...see Steve. I like both, but for different purpose.
The Vader TIE,...Hmmmmmmm.... doesn't seem to be much offered at this time. Thoughts? I can only imagine and speculate an MR version in the future. But will it be exact? LOL. Only time will tell... B)

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jun 15 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]1261797[/snapback]</div>
I have this kit - selling it because it's not truly studio scale.

It's a nice kit, but it's not exactly what I wanted in a Vader TIE.

PM me if you want it.
[/b]

Why do you say it's not "truly" studio scale?

It's the same size as the studio model, if not exact in every detail.

People have been picking apart measurment issues on the fuselage of the CC X-Wing.

Does that mean it is not studio scale either?

Yes, the CC X-Wing body is off - but it's the only show in town, and was a hell of a lot cleaner cast than most kits out there.

The ball on the Vader TIE we're discussing here is smaller than your SS TIE (your photos are at an angle and do not show this - do you want me to take photos to show what I saw when I compared the two?)- the whole thing is a little undersized. Also - not a single cardstock "chip detail" matches up with readily available photos. Detailing is "Al Wong close" not accurate. You know what I mean?

Like I said - it's a great model kit and still worth $350 in the garage kit world - just not what I personally wanted, and it was sold to me as STUDIO SCALE. I'm not angry, worried, etc - just would rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I would - I want my TIEs to be consistant to what I have. I'm not a rivet counter, but I do have pretty high standards with my cast resin purchases. And this kit has a lot of resin boogers - I'm just too busy to futz with it - it looked cleaner in the pics I saw initially.

<div class='quotetop'>(moffeaton @ Jun 15 2006, 07:19 AM) [snapback]1262072[/snapback]</div>
Yes, the CC X-Wing body is off - but it's the only show in town, and was a hell of a lot cleaner cast than most kits out there.

The ball on the Vader TIE we're discussing here is smaller than your SS TIE (your photos are at an angle and do not show this - do you want me to take photos to show what I saw when I compared the two?)- the whole thing is a little undersized. Also - not a single cardstock "chip detail" matches up with readily available photos. Detailing is "Al Wong close" not accurate. You know what I mean?

Like I said - it's a great model kit and still worth $350 in the garage kit world - just not what I personally wanted, and it was sold to me as STUDIO SCALE. I'm not angry, worried, etc - just would rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than I would - I want my TIEs to be consistant to what I have. I'm not a rivet counter, but I do have pretty high standards with my cast resin purchases. And this kit has a lot of resin boogers - I'm just too busy to futz with it - it looked cleaner in the pics I saw initially.
[/b]
Good Point.

I believe this to be personal preference. It is obvious that the TIE cockpit ball is smaller on all of Chris's kits and Chris admittedly knows this. I know Eaton to be correct in his assessment of it being STUDIO SCALE, but still believe many will be pleased with Chris's kits. They are good and available. The Kelly kits will make my office while the Neisen kits will make my personal museum floor. It seems this is turning into two camps and it doesn't really need to. Offense or defense in this matter just isn't necessary...it's all good.... and all a choice. The kits serve two different purposes for different types of collectors. ENJOY what ya can. LOL :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back