Studio Scale Tyrell Pyramid

I thought that was some stuff that was somehow scanned from the original production and can be found online, they own the copyright anyway. If you drawn it by yourself from the movie screenshots, that's great, If you don't want to give it to anyone I'm just sorry to hear that, I wanted to make a part of the pyramid for myself, the entire is just too large :) I don't really have the time to draw it from the movie screenshots so if it can't be found online I have to abandon this project.
If you take the time to read through the Thread, I’ve explained this in detail.

I think there is something lost in translation .

I don't have the time to read every forum I find, maybe one day if I have some time I will read it, but I looked at the images you posted and it looks like a great project, I hope you can make the entire pyramid and post the images, good luck with the project

You know I was quietly working away today , crappy weather outside - getting on with a few more hours work on this project when the preceding messages occurred leaving me a little dispondant. Those words “ don’t have the time” really cut deep.
Have a look below, these pieces of etch for the second buttress assembled together from 60 smaller pieces of etch to form whole sections so they can be primed and painted. About 20 hours work over the past 2 weeks.The small pile of support pieces cut on a guillotine and sanded and flattened before being glued to the back of the etch to form a firm support. More time. Requires delicate handing because I’ve snapped it twice already and had to repair it. More time.
2CB75619-2BFB-4F64-8538-2B879C5B2367.jpeg

Then to let my fingers recover from the superglue, I did a few more hours on CAD, pushing this drawing towards completion - Spinner Blueprints. This had been going on for nearly a year - an hour or two occasionly until it gets finished. All this to insert the vehicle plan view into a drawing of the roof of the Close-up. Total hours on that alone - maybe 40 so far. Yep - more time that I happily give to this project ……… but which I don’t give away freely.
28ED3509-81CA-42E5-8757-E73ECD5A190D.jpeg

Last edited:
Why do you feel insulted? I told you : it looks like a great project, I hope you can make the entire pyramid and post the images, good luck with the project.
Isn't this enough? Do you want a hobbyist award for making a movie prop replica for your man cave ? You have the time to make a replica, you are not inventing or designing anything, good for you, but honestly it's not anything great, it's just a nice replica for a nerd man cave.
And yes I don't have the time to read all your forum posts, I have better things to do than reading forum posts, I have a life you know, there are more important things I want to do...

M9000,
This is my final response. Please don’t reply and at least have the courtesy to let me the last word to my Thread.

This project started way back in 2015 collecting information and images.I started the actual real work and research in 2017.
I ‘ve made the time to do the work. A hour here and there. COVID ( God forgive) , despite being a difficult time for everyone, gave me an unprecedented opportunity to really delve fully into it. Since restrictions ended, I manage to find the time among all the other stuff that family life and work bring at 60 years of age.
If say ,an Architect, Artist or similar professional was tasked with the preservation and restoration of a historic building, would you make derogatory, demeaning remarks about their work?. Isn’t uncovering building methods, techniques, materials and recording & recreating them a creative endeavour.
Similarity isn’t recreating what is a fast disappearing skill of these Studio Scale models creative. I learned a hell of a lot, picked up new skills. Along with doing these projects, we are trying to uncover the narrative of how many of these superbly talented and skilled modellers created these exceptional objects during what we see as a golden era for Visual Effects.
There is very little written history on this particular model. I am doing my best to uncover that narrative, with the skills I have and I choose to share them with interested members on the forum here. I could be completely wrong. The real complete history is more complex that what I can present.

No one here looks for awards. We’re happy to get to do the work on our own free time. No restrictions, no time limits.

If you won’t take the time to read what I am doing here ( and also the other subjects posted by the RPF members), then you have no business being here.

Last edited:
M9000,
If you won’t take the time to read what I am doing here ( and also the other subjects posted by the RPF members), then you have no business being here.

Respect, man!.. The amount of time, research and labor you've put in to this project is astounding.. and the outcome: absolute perfection.
This is more than just replica prop making, this is attention to detail on another level entirely.. your knowledge and dedication should be held in the highest regard.
Something to be admired and revered and therefore priceless.

If someone admits they couldn't even be bothered to educate themselves of that fact then, come on, really?!.. how can they even imagine they'd be taken seriously?

I was actually just thinking of this thread the other day, after seeing some behind the scenes stuff from BR.
I think all the work you are doing is fantastic and definitely a whole ton of work and can understand why you wouldn't want to just give away years worth of work to some random unknown person.
After all these years of work, how far along would you say you are even at?

……………..
After all these years of work, how far along would you say you are even at?
JediMichael,
Firstly, thank you and other members for the kind words.
A little over 2 years ago ( summer 2021), I managed to put together one of the Buttresses , get the etch assembled and put the lighting in. In my excitement in seeing it physically for real in front of me, I naively thought maybe in another month or 2, I can have another one built and start the resin casting. I was so completely wrong. Many things happened which I won’t go into detail but little accidents, my inexperience set me back months and months. Second time I get it assembled and pick up the courage to present it here in January 2022, same again - am thinking another month or 2 , I can prepare myself for the resin casting patterns. Same thing again - you see the problems, new issues crop up, a new discovery . Lessons learnt, start again.
When I think of the time I spent way back when I was just going to do a semi- accurate half- scale version, months and months of work lost there too because of issues with warping of 3d printed parts.
I‘m used to doing artworks - get the project brief, research, draft, sketch, approve, design, draw/ paint and present. project done, finished - move on to the next. This one is a doozy ( so to speak). If I didn’t love it so much, I’d have long given up.
Mantra - lessons learnt, go at it again strategically , solve the issues , revise, improve the quality of the work.
I’ve no manual to read on how to build a model of the “Tyrell Pyramid”. I am essentially writing one here. I am going to make more mistakes, learn a lot more lessons and try to enjoy the process.

So how far am I along ? - I think I’m only at 40 maybe 50 percent.
Of the 7 master patterns for main core of the building ( if I ignore one on the top inner side) , 3 finished ( roof, terrace, corner), 2 main patterns- left and right 80% done, 2 to start ( central elevator section, face of mid terrace slope( one design pattern used for both sides).
There’s no rush here because if there’s a possibility that some new image suddenly turns up, then so much the better.
And just a reminder again, I am not building a complete Pyramid. I going to present it here in conjunction with much of the other work that explains the story of the model/ prop creation. To physically stand in front of those buttresses alone in a darkened room and walk around them, is quite an experience ( I’ve mocked up and tested them).

And this project has expanded with the inclusion of work on the Close - Up section. That one is a real joy to work on mainly because for the few months research work and a visit to New York to see the prop, I mostly resolved how it was built, what was used etc. The main benefit of that is it solved some of the detail issues on the 8 foot model and also helped clarify some issues with reference to the central top elevator hoods.

If I’ve gone on too long here, please excuse me. I‘m an old fan trying to fulfil 40 year dream.

You have the time to make a replica, you are not inventing or designing anything, good for you, but honestly it's not anything great, it's just a nice replica for a nerd man cave.
And yes I don't have the time to read all your forum posts, I have better things to do than reading forum posts, I have a life you know, there are more important things I want to do...

Definitely there's more important stuff to do than sit in your underwear in your parents' basement, attempting to mock total strangers for their work and interests.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, post cowardly anonymous remarks on the Internet!

Why do you feel insulted? I told you : it looks like a great project, I hope you can make the entire pyramid and post the images, good luck with the project.
Isn't this enough? Do you want a hobbyist award for making a movie prop replica for your man cave ? You have the time to make a replica, you are not inventing or designing anything, good for you, but honestly it's not anything great, it's just a nice replica for a nerd man cave.
Quote: "And yes I don't have the time to read all your forum posts, I have better things to do than reading forum posts, I have a life you know, there are more important things I want to do..."

Let's deconstruct that phrase and examine the reason why Pyramidrep (and other members) gave you.

"I don't have the time to read all your forum posts":
First mistake from your part! If you had taken the time to read all of the posts, you would've discovered the sheer amount of research, time (years), effort, work and funds Pyramidrep took before building anything!
Going, in person, to see the original and take more pictures and the likes and making sure he was as close as possible from the original model is dedication in my book.

Showing/sharing his hard work and research with us is a bonus that's not lost on many of us, model makers; it's a tutorial, in essence, it's the experience and the tribulations/challenges that come with any big, complex project as this one is and the results of that "blood, sweat and tears" is simply astounding!

To assume that you deserve any info after posting at 6:20 this: "Hi, can you share the images of the Tyrell building, please ?"
6:21 this: "Hi, can you share the images of the Tyrell building, please ?"

Impolite at best and impatient to boot! Really...you obviously want something fast (and free, it seems) and you don't want to do your homework by yourself! You also bury yourself deeper by saying: "You have the time to make a replica, you are not inventing or designing anything, good for you, but honestly it's not anything great, it's just a nice replica for a nerd man cave"

Are you for real? We don't need your kind here; good riddance and don't apologize...it would feel fake coming from you!

JediMichael,
Firstly, thank you and other members for the kind words.
A little over 2 years ago ( summer 2021), I managed to put together one of the Buttresses , get the etch assembled and put the lighting in. In my excitement in seeing it physically for real in front of me, I naively thought maybe in another month or 2, I can have another one built and start the resin casting. I was so completely wrong. Many things happened which I won’t go into detail but little accidents, my inexperience set me back months and months. Second time I get it assembled and pick up the courage to present it here in January 2022, same again - am thinking another month or 2 , I can prepare myself for the resin casting patterns. Same thing again - you see the problems, new issues crop up, a new discovery . Lessons learnt, start again.
When I think of the time I spent way back when I was just going to do a semi- accurate half- scale version, months and months of work lost there too because of issues with warping of 3d printed parts.
I‘m used to doing artworks - get the project brief, research, draft, sketch, approve, design, draw/ paint and present. project done, finished - move on to the next. This one is a doozy ( so to speak). If I didn’t love it so much, I’d have long given up.
Mantra - lessons learnt, go at it again strategically , solve the issues , revise, improve the quality of the work.
I’ve no manual to read on how to build a model of the “Tyrell Pyramid”. I am essentially writing one here. I am going to make more mistakes, learn a lot more lessons and try to enjoy the process.

So how far am I along ? - I think I’m only at 40 maybe 50 percent.
Of the 7 master patterns for main core of the building ( if I ignore one on the top inner side) , 3 finished ( roof, terrace, corner), 2 main patterns- left and right 80% done, 2 to start ( central elevator section, face of mid terrace slope( one design pattern used for both sides).
There’s no rush here because if there’s a possibility that some new image suddenly turns up, then so much the better.
And just a reminder again, I am not building a complete Pyramid. I going to present it here in conjunction with much of the other work that explains the story of the model/ prop creation. To physically stand in front of those buttresses alone in a darkened room and walk around them, is quite an experience ( I’ve mocked up and tested them).

And this project has expanded with the inclusion of work on the Close - Up section. That one is a real joy to work on mainly because for the few months research work and a visit to New York to see the prop, I mostly resolved how it was built, what was used etc. The main benefit of that is it solved some of the detail issues on the 8 foot model and also helped clarify some issues with reference to the central top elevator hoods.

If I’ve gone on too long here, please excuse me. I‘m an old fan trying to fulfil 40 year dream.
I totally get trying to make something and taking forever. A lot of the time, I would start with a whole, its good enough, but then go back and fix up more.....again and again.
My first model ever was a scratch built star destroyer I started in 7th grade.
Took me 20 years to finally finish where I was happy enough with it, and its far from perfect and not nearly long enough. Made from cardboard, paper and random stuff around the house. But its the journey getting there and all the hours of love put into the project.
20230330_165207.jpg

This is one of my all-time favorite threads on the RPF. Pyramidrep, I am very grateful that you have shared your progress. It is so beautiful and inspirational. Thank you. I have gathered some parts over the years - original PE frets and a few castings. Perhaps one day I'll be able to have a go at some version. In the meantime every new update is a thrill to see. Amazing work!

satazius, 3Dsf, Joberg, JediMichael and all the other members whose names I see here
Many thanks for your support.
I always assumed that my love of this prop was pretty unique but being here, I gather there are a few others who equally have a passionate for the subject.
A little story -
I may have mentioned way, way back about contacting and visiting a jewellery school in Kilkenny City to get some practical advice about the properties of brass and how to connect those narrow pieces together.
I brought one of the half scale card buttresses, some of the narrow strips and a section of the front on a temporary light box.
I thought I was just going to meet the head of the school but then he said “ class gather round , this is really interesting. John, you might present and explain what you’re going.”. So I did - a little nervously first ( thinking I’m a idiot) but then I could see eyes light up as I opened the box and presented.
I assumed that it’d be a “million to one chance” there there was a Blade Runner fan in the Class ( there was a time when I thought I was the only Blade Runner fan in Ireland)
After about an hour as various options were discussed and we finished up, one of instructors turns to me and said
“Hey John, Did you ever think of contacting Adam Savage?. He’d love this”.

Looks great. we had so much of the left over etched brass and a few molds from that building at Boss and SVSI that we used for many projects after BR. Sadly the molds all died but I think there are random castings still floating around. As for the etch brass, a lot if not all got used up. The art work ended up at Digital Domain for a time but then the model shop closed there. Not sure where it ended up after that. Like so much work we did eventually it ends up either in the trash or someones private collection. Frankly its more impressive to see someone replicate it all at this level and with such accuracy and quality. To quote Gaff " You have done and mans job sir"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back