Studio Scale TOS Enterprise(11.25 feet)

Checking by everyday on your progress.
Extremely impressive to say the least.
I can't believe someone has finally taken this on!

When I heard CBS Digital was re-doing their cartoon FX for TOS I was hoping against hope that they would have someone like you build an 11 foot replica. Can you imagine how good it would look with today's film technology?
It would look huge and colossal.

Maybe someday.

Best,
:)Spockboy

When I heard CBS Digital was re-doing their cartoon FX for TOS I was hoping against hope that they would have someone like you build an 11 foot replica. Can you imagine how good it would look with today's film technology?
It would look huge and colossal.
Sadly that would never happen, most likely Hollywood would never go back to exclusive use of miniatures.

That brings up a question for some of the special effects professionals we have here.
Why did they build such a large model for STTOS?

I suppose so they could get it all in focus as a small model they'd have to get closer?

Keeping it all in focus is the main reason for the model's size. That requires a strong depth of field, to keep the close end as sharp as the far end. Lens capability dictates the model size. Advances in lens technology allowed smaller models in later years. The Enterprise really wasn't unusually large for the time. In 2001 the discovery was 54 feet, by the time 2010 was made they could get the same effect with a 12 foot model.

And because the 11 foot model wasn't ready for most of the effects shots for The Cage, we can compare how the 33 inch model looked in camera in 1964 with how the 11 foot model looked in 1965 (making a similar pass)...

1701_11ft_33in_comparison.jpg

Wow!

There's no comparison in those shots of the 11-footer (left pics) vs the 3-footer (right pics).

The extra detail on the 11-footer and possibly better photography makes a huge difference. The 11-footer looks like a real ship while the other model looks like a quality kid's toy.

As far as the Ed Miarecki repaint of the 11-foot Enterprise/hero model.... Everything that needs to be said has been said. The guy is a professional and has been contracted by people who own various historic shooting miniatures (the original Galactica, Star Trek movie miniatures, etc.) and generally seems to do an excellent job on restorations.

Why the repaint was messed up so much on the original 11-foot Enterprise, I don't know. Arrogance? Miscommunications, flawed research, people-in-the-know wanting to keep information to themselves (that happens a lot more often than people think in many fields), who knows...

Most of us do think that it was overpainted, details added for details' sake, and that comments by the restorer about how "most of the details were washed up by lighting" sound like hogwash. I really don't understand why that job went so bad 20 years ago...!

Obviously, a lot of us think the model does need touch-up again (pics within the past 10 years show cracks around the bridge area and worn off/partially broken decals) and that if NASM didn't have a million other things to worry about, they should probably contract someone else who has additional information and is an artisan to do the repaint (if it's in the budget or can be privately financed). With those bluescreen pictures popping up from "Space Seed" it just boggles the mind WHY the restoration went so horribly wrong where the paint-job is concerned...

I have just found this and I have to say I'm blown away. I have always wanted one, and to see it being built up is fantastic. I will be back everyday, all the comments and info is incredible. Thank you so much for letting us watch this.

Yes, I'm still on it. But it's at the stage where I'm doing the filling and sanding.

In case you guys haven't seen these-
dscn2388y.jpg

Here is the Custom Replicas 66" nacelle on the studio scale nacelle.

dscn2387w.jpg

Here is the 66" upper saucer on the master for the SS upper saucer. This is where I've been dividing my modeling time. I've been posting it over in the general modeling section. Under the thread-
http://www.therpf.com/f11/custom-replicas-66-tos-e-110204/

I did have to make a new endcap for the nacelle.
dscn2255a.jpg

This is the rough stage, the one on the left has been routed to a base shape, the one on the right is just the particle board stacked up.

dscn2264t.jpg

The one on the left is nearly complete, the one of the right with it's second coat of bondo.

This is where I have stop with the pics(because I don't have any more), both parts are the same. I'm going to vacuum form styrene over these parts so it will be easier to attach the corrugated material to them. And save me some time finishing the endcaps.

I'll post new pics as soon as I have some more progress.

WOW What a totally friggin Awesome build, i just found this and will be following this closely.
Love it man keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back