Studio Scale Snowspeeder 1:10 Scratchbuilt

Hi, I am working on a couple of snowspeeders and I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer (didn't want to start a new thread just for one lil' ol' question).

Question is this: I'm a little rusty on my aerodynamics-- when one of the flaps open on the top/back, does that cause that side of the ship to go up or down? I'm planning on mounting them at a banking angle and want to make sure I get the correct flap open.

Sorry, not trying to derail or anything.

Late reply. If the top right flap popped up it would act as a speed brake and cause that side to go down because in atmospheric flight, it would destroy lift. Most complex aircraft (and gliders) have speed brakes/ground spoilers. On my plane I can pull a handle and hydraulicly pop 2 boards per wing in the air symmetrically. On the ground upon landing, all four boards get popped and an additional 2 boards thus 6 boards total destroying all lift so the plane doesnt go bouncing down the runway when you are trying to land.

Back on topic....amazing build you have there. Very clean, I would have a problem painting it as there is something beautiful with the bare bones of a SS model.

Another shot!

11003720-B1-CF-40-F1-A4-D2-D62-ED856-AFFD.jpg

That looks fantastic!

About the aerodynamic performance: what Lear60man said is true. Unfortunately, in the film they behave the opposite way, at least in that helicopter shot when two of them peel off when looking for Han and Luke. Oops. ;)

edit: whoops, it isn't that shot, it's a few shots during the battle.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic!

About the aerodynamic performance: what Lear60man said is true. Unfortunately, in the film they behave the opposite way, at least in that helicopter shot when two of them peel off when looking for Han and Luke. Oops. ;)
I take back my earlier statement about not painting it....you just turned it up to 11.
Many thanks! And regarding the flaps too. They are moveable and I will follow it with the next pictures!

Wow - that’s just looks superb. The build and the paint.

Not to hijack - but the life size speeders always looked different than the studio models and didn’t match correctly to me. Maybe it was just the paint.

Yeah, the more you actually think about it, that is correct. I had always gone with action of putting your hand out a moving car window. You tilt your hand up--it rises. I had never taken into account the fact that your hand's weight is supported by your arm. Without that support, you're right, your hand would fall. The action of the flap raising on the snowspeeder might would only work if the ship actually had something supporting it's weight. Without that support, the flap would indeed act as a brake and cause that side to lower. Seems ILM never took that into consideration either!

That's what I love about this place -- I always learn stuff!!

However, maybe they did consider it. Since SW vehicles don't really use lift but instead some kind of anti gravity generator or something. It might indeed work for the snowspeeder. I mean, let's face it, none of these ships could really fly by our idea of lift, could they? They all seem to have vertical take off capabilities. Yeah, I know people have built RC planes and gliders and stuff that work, but they never really look correct. I'm talking full size lift capable vehicles.

Last edited:
Your skills are far better than mine but I am concerned over time your metal fastener for your stand may not hold up.

Hope you have it epoxy in there good as they obviously need to take some stress.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back