Studio Scale Slave I (first pics of body casting page 31)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez! I'm old enough to remember that one. :confused

So what IS the part? you can tell me. I won't tell anyone . I swear :angel

LOL

can you guys share with us some pics of the other location of the missing part....also how far along is this bird now?

It's this part here:

And the kit is slowly getting there, this project has consumed more time and resources than I could've ever imagined.

Last edited:
Part of what you're looking for maybe? Sorry for the lousy scan... it's acting up.
img0001qq2.jpg

Well since the cat is out of the bag now, the guys said to just post it. Once again, thanks Allan for finding the part.

I'd also like to say that I don't like all the cloak and dagger stuff when it comes to parts and not wanting to reveal what they are to people, if it were up to me I'd help anyone that needed it, if I knew what they were. I wish more people would have that attitude, it would make this hobby much more fun, and a lot more things would get built for everyone. I just like to build the models, I'm not very knowledgeable about the kit parts, even though I did ID one of the parts on the Slave, which was pretty amazing for someone like me LOL.

Slave_part.jpg

sidemys.jpg

Last edited:
I'd also like to say that I don't like all the cloak and dagger stuff when it comes to parts and not wanting to reveal what they are to people, if it were up to me I'd help anyone that needed it, if I knew what they were. I wish more people would have that attitude, it would make this hobby much more fun, and a lot more things would get built for everyone. I just like to build the models, I'm not very knowledgeable about the kit parts, even though I did ID one of the parts on the Slave, which was pretty amazing for someone like me LOL.

Well, I for one appreciate that, Richard. And I agree that this hobby is only fun when people are sharing and working together. From a practical standpoint, a guy like Jamie can find one of those two parts in less than an hour after you posted that picture. So, working together in the open with everyone participating can be orders of magnitude more efficient than working with a small team. I mean seriously, how long were you guys looking for that part?

Also, I know from experience from having belonged to several "secret" boards that while they are often fun for a while, they align too well with the human tendency to break down into "tribes of trust," which breeds an us-against-them mentality, eventual breakdowns in trust, and often generate exactly the kind of infighting and drama we've seen in the last few months. Sooner or later, the secret society needs its own inner secret society, and so on.

Not for me. Not anymore.

As for this project, what's the problem with sharing parts discoveries, or asking for help? IMO, the hardest part isn't finding the greeblies, it's designing and creating an accurate and reproducible pattern for the fuselage components. You guys have done a really great job with that, and I don't see any evidence that anyone else can match that at the moment.

Last edited:
Well, I for one appreciate that, Richard. And I agree that this hobby is only fun when people are sharing and working together. From a practical standpoint, a guy like Jamie can find one of those two parts in less than an hour after you posted that picture. So, working together in the open with everyone participating can be orders of magnitude more efficient than working with a small team. I mean seriously, how long were you guys looking for that part?

Also, I know from experience from having belonged to several "secret" boards that while they are often fun for a while, they align too well with the human tendency to break down into "tribes of trust," which breeds an us-against-them mentality, eventual breakdowns in trust, and often generate exactly the kind of infighting and drama we've seen in the last few months. Sooner or later, the secret society needs its own inner secret society, and so on.

Not for me. Not anymore.

As for this project, what's the problem with sharing parts discoveries, or asking for help? IMO, the hardest part isn't finding the greeblies, it's designing and creating an accurate and reproducible pattern for the fuselage components. You guys have done a really great job with that, and I don't see any evidence that anyone else can match that at the moment.

I appreciate your comments, thank you. Actually, we've been asking about that part since page 22, post #214.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=29541&page=22

These guys are great...thanks for sharing...I love to see for my self and I like to know what and where these parts come from. I love star wars and it amazes me to see what ILM did to make these ships, It history and very cool to add this knoledge. I think It would be realy cool if you had a a document to go with each
star wars model listing what parts went in to them.

thanks again for sharing

mark

From a practical standpoint, a guy like Jamie can find one of those two parts in less than an hour after you posted that picture.

I've only just had my model room put together and everything unpacked for the last week. Finding the part wasn't difficult. I just haven'y had access to my kits in two years...

How long were we actively looking for the part? Who knows, probably 10-15 hours between everyone in the group over the last year, or so. I found it yesterday while working on a different project, altogether.

-- Particular people have been directly asked about the mystery part, previously;
-- As REL said, it's been in this thread for all those cooperative types to, well, cooperate;
-- Some people claimed to know this, as well as other part(s), but wouldn't share info despite the fact that REL's seems to be the only Slave project anywhere near a finish line;
-- Anyone with a memory knows that I posted seeking information about the Slave's guns, but it wasn't until I offered a cash bounty that any of this "efficiency" you refer to materialized;
-- The information about this one part isn't going to do most of you any good...there's a few dozen more just like it, and then there's the tens and tens of mostly "low-hanging fruit" parts, some of which are still quite expensive;
-- Sharing the mystery part right now will cause a spike in prices by people who will buy the kit, but have no hope of ever using the part.

But, I have one goal: build Slave I. I'm not in this to make money. I have several thousand dollars into this already for everything from kits to 3D printing. I've spent more hours than I care to admit looking through parts. I've had some very spectacular and improbable finds, like this one:

panel1.jpg

side.jpg

Which is actually the back of a sprue label from the Leopold after 2 minutes of sanding.
source2.jpg

source1.jpg

I will never get my investment out as any form of revenue other than the enjoyment of having a Slave I on display in my office (one day), which is all I was ever after. Hobby capital.

Beaz, your way sounds great. But, in practice, it just doesn't work. I'm sorry you had a bad experience on "secret" boards - it doesn't always pan out. But, I understand your Honeycomb Hideout comment, now. Regardless, the fact remains that our group is making headway on a multitude of projects, and trust is quite high among our team.

I mostly respect the strategies and motivations of all those folks who leverage their information. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't. There are business-people and then there are personal hobbyists, like me. Often, you never really know who you're dealing with, and many aren't interested in passing along their hard-earned data so it can make someone else money. Most of these folks are very talented individuals, and I still benefit from their talent when it suits them. It's just the way it is. You can't have hard feelings in this hobby, it's just not worth it.

Allan, you rock ! :thumbsup
I'm pretty proud of the attitude of the group sharing the part. Great job ! :)

Bunch of Muppets the lot of you.

What are you proud of? This group clearly had no intention of revealing anything. It was only the fact that REL let slip by posting an image and then was obviously asked to remove it that the group said "oh ****it" after Darkside72 indentified the part.

And saying that the group asked for help identifying this part months ago is bollocks. The majority of us are trying to identify something from out of focus images that show the part at an obscure angle. When all this time the group has had access to hi-res images with a clear full frontal shot of the part in question.

You are all your own worst enemies guys!

The "hi-rez" image is a snip from a Ralph McQuarrie matte painting. Hardly conclusive, as even it has some inaccuracies. The "so-called" blurry images you refer to are still the only photos known of the part. I'd forgotten about the matte painting quite awhile ago, as I didn't trust it. I was able to identify the part from an obscure angle and that image. In fact, only your so-called "out of focus" images exhibit the distinguishing marks to compare for validation.

Richard was never asked to remove anything. Because it was found yesterday afternoon and I'm the only one in our group who has the kit, it seems fair to make sure they the people who are actually working on the project have a chance to buy one if they so choose, before everyone else spikes the price.

Bollocks? Thanks for playing.

Last edited:
I've only just had my model room put together and everything unpacked for the last week. Finding the part wasn't difficult. I just haven'y had access to my kits in two years...

Jamie, there's plenty more you can find where that came from. :D

Let me know if you're interested.

Bunch of Muppets the lot of you.

What are you proud of? This group clearly had no intention of revealing anything. It was only the fact that REL let slip by posting an image and then was obviously asked to remove it that the group said "oh ****it" after Darkside72 indentified the part.

And saying that the group asked for help identifying this part months ago is bollocks. The majority of us are trying to identify something from out of focus images that show the part at an obscure angle. When all this time the group has had access to hi-res images with a clear full frontal shot of the part in question.

You are all your own worst enemies guys!

Well id say nobody here ID'd the part, id say more like the info was in hand by another party....maybe some folk who are so green and greedy, just wanted to spoil the party.
So RKW, take a seat, calm down, and stop crying...here have a bowl of Honey Flavored breakfast cereal...youll feel much better!

lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back