Studio Scale Parts

Junk Pilot

Sr Member
I've been dying to ask this question for a while but what does everyone do with all the rest of the model kits you buy once you have cannabilsed all the SS parts from it?

Make resin copies of the parts, use those on the models, and put the plastic bits back in the box with the original. I have a hard time justifying buying three Sealabs just because I need parts for three models...but that's just me.

J

I've been dying to ask this question for a while but what does everyone do with all the rest of the model kits you buy once you have cannabilsed all the SS parts from it?

If you look hard enough you find that a lot of kit leftovers are used on other models from the same movie / tv show.

I've only had 1 model where almost the whole single kit is used, it was the AMT Silhouette which if you rearange the parts becomes a police car used on the old Thunderbirds tv show. It's also the only studio scale minature I've built that requires only 1 kit

I tend to build the kit if possible without the part(s) I used.
The Monogram B-29 is such a kit

If the kit cost a ton of money I cast the parts needed and then sell the kit after returning the original. Think Bandai Hummel or Otaka D51-101 which are over $100 each.

If the kit is used in a lot of models the parts are cast and the originals are placed in a "parts libary" to remake molds as needed. Think Airfix Saturn 5 or the 8rads.

I keep everything as stock for future kit bashing needs. I also make resin copies and I treat their molds like gold so they last long. Even while building my SD, when I make copies of a part I need multiples of, I will at the same time make molds of other interesting parts from the same kit that I can see using on future projects. My basement looks like a mini ILM model shop and studio.

I use them on other SS models ! Then I discover I need more parts from those leftover kits that I already used so I buy them again and again ! :lol

I guess with the smaller, less rare kits, such as Hasegawa's 1/72 Sherman and the like it doesn't matter but when you get rare kit's like Aurora's Sealab you need to be careful with the kit.

i have an idea, you can all send me your extra parts so I can use them on my SD I'm building right now!!:lol.....It was worth a shot!

Actually on a more serious note, I did keep all the sprews from my kits and built a cool looking borg cube for my brother-in-law.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back