Studio Scale Falcon! (With Pics!)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by venkman71, Apr 19, 2005.

1. venkman71

venkman71 Well-Known Member

Hey guys.
    I thought all of you old-school scratch builders would appreciate the monumental task my good buddy Randy Cooper thrust upon himself.
    Randy is one of the most accomplished model builders in the effects business and belive me when I say, there is nothing,...and I mean nothing that this crazy bastard can't build in like,....five minutes.
    So four weeks ago he comes into the shop and says,...
    "I think I'm gonna scratch build a three foot Millenium Falcon", my initial reaction was to laugh and then I realized who was making the claim and I thought better of it.
    Just over a month later, this entered the world.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some of the finer detailed shots of the model,...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes folks,...she's got lights too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my personal favorite,....

[​IMG]

A few caveats,....
    Randy was pretty adamant about doing this thing in a reasonable amount of time and in doing so,...took a few artistic liberties as well as consulting some of you Falcon gurus out there. He wasn't gonna track down each and every tank part so he did what every brilliant pro does,...
    He kit bashed and approximated and considering the three foot Falcon differed from the five foot, and even from movie to movie he wasn't too nit-picky.
    I, myself, am floored.
    The base is also Randy's design and the pieces were cut on my buddy Dave's C and C, (CNC?) machine.
    And here's the proud papa. :lol

[​IMG]

Thought all you building maniacs would appreciate a fellow builder.
    Later,
    Sean

2. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

4 weeks?.?.?.?.
    That's insane.. What a talent.

Neil

3. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:eek

Only one suggestion: he needs the inverted highway symbol over the cockpit windows. :D

[​IMG]

It's my favorite thing on the Falcon. :lol

4. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Wow. That Falcon is just awesome...
    Very very inspirational work from Randy Cooper.

5. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Oh wow... Amazing work, the lighting in the cockpit is just incredible (I'll never understand how people get those tiny lights in). That is one model to be very proud of.

6. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

:eek that's impossible, even for a computer..

I can not believe he came up with such a beautiful model in such a short space of time - the man's a genius no doubts there..

wow.

Jeremy

7. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Sean,

Tell the guy that he is a freakin' genius. He built that in a month? My feeble mind can't comprehend such talent... :lol

BTW... I know that you are buried at work, but don't forget that email I sent ya.

Lonnie

8. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy crap I am such a novice.... I wish I had that much talent. :unsure

JDH

9. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

I wish I possessed 1/100th of the talent Randy has. I'm still trudging along ever so slowly on the old ERTL model I've got. Maybe I should just junk it and really stymie myself with a monumental task as a studio scale Falcon. :thumbsup

10. Jestefarean

Jestefarean Sr Member

JEEPERS CREEPERS...

WOW.

Gorgeous.

11. venkman71

Oh believe me,...It's been addressed and is in the works. The model isn't completely complete,.... :lol
    I just couldn't wait to take some shots of it.
    There is still more detail work to be done. :p

12. DarkSideSith

DarkSideSith New Member

That is just incredible.

13. Ivanhotep

Ivanhotep Well-Known Member

Awesome Falcon.

I love the base.

14. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice Job Randy.
    It looks great finished ...

Frank

15. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

I... officially... quit.

Brian

16. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

That's...

That's...

4 Weeks?..

4 Weeks?..

:confused

:confused

:wacko

17. boatbuilder1

boatbuilder1 Well-Known Member

what the freak 4 weeks the guy had to have a few assistants........................................................................................................
    Darn at a year and a half I am still working on the belly
    anyone want to buy a falcon replica
    I am completely stunned its inexplicable

charlie

18. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

19. Beeb89

Beeb89 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4 Weeks is unreal.. Excellent job and I LOVE that scale. BIG...

AWESOME.
    -B89. :D

20. kitbasher

kitbasher Well-Known Member

WoW. Coming from someone who's been working on a five footer for, oh, gee, about SEVEN YEARS now... I can't even COMPREHEND how something as insanely detailed as the Falcon could be completed by one person in only a month. Randy's replica, while not being "accurate" in the strictest sense of the word, is utterly amazing. It captures perfectly the look and intricate texture of the ILM Falcon models.

God I suck.

21. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4 weeks? Did he sleep?

AMAZING......

Fudged details or not, he really captured the "feel." Fantastic.
    Tom

22. dcallisto

dcallisto New Member

If he can do that in 4 weeks Im scared of what he could accomplish in say a year. What a work of art.

23. venkman71

Seriously. He could probably re-create the entire rebel star fleet in 1:1 scale. :lol

24. roguemodeler

roguemodeler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I completely accurized the ertl kit a few years ago and that took me a month........and now I feel so ashamed.....so, I take the walk of shame out into the deserts of Tatooine never to be seen again. Absolutely fantastic. and done at ludicris speed. What could he do at plaid? Sometimes.....people do their best work under extreme pressure, doing and thinking things they never thought possible. Jeez. I feel like an 8 y/o looking at that work. mommy.

25. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

and i whine and moan my y wing isnt quite right after all this time, wow an amazing build in astounding time, maybe we should call guinness and have it recorded, its got to be a record lol

26. venkman71

He brought in a studio scale X-wing yesterday. :confused
    Here we go again.
    Whaddaya think one day turn-around? Two? :lol
    Stay tuned for more madness.

27. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

Thats an amazing piece in that timescale

Nathan :)

28. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

good lord that is awesome...

wayne

29. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes folks. ONE month. Most of it was done in a span of two weeks.

Structurally...you can do the basic shape in a week, or if you have help a weekend. Tim Ketzer and I started mine and had the basic shape in a weekend.
    It sat like that for 3 years.

Its the DETAILING that takes forever. If you dont care what was screen used it gives you alot of freedom to movie quickly, so ANY of you STUDIO ACCURATE BUILDERS out there, do not be discouraged.

I have known Randy for years, all of you have been looking at his work even longer as he has worked in Hollwood before some of you were BORN.

He is has FAST as he is good.

And yes....it did only take him a month.
    I witnessed it.

;-)

30. SPY007

SPY007 Well-Known Member

Great looking model... I am thinking tackeling this project myself. Does any one offer a few measurments to get one started? I have been to "Moe's" site along with Tim Ketzer's and there is some great info, but not enought for me to feel comfortable starting. I know that 32" is the length of the final model, but the engine flap things and the front end deatiail look like they could total an inch. Any one have the diamiter on the main body not counting engine flaps and the overhang of the plating? A few basics will get me started and I can extrapolate from threre. This is too complex to screw up from the start. THANKS for any adivice. Also, is anybody offering resin casts of the hard to find kit bash parts?

31. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Awesome work.

32. Dexvader

Dexvader Well-Known Member

Wow thats incredible. And in four weeks. I would need all of Santa's helpers just to make one in about a year.
    Looks great.

33. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Randy is amazing but don't get discouraged people - he'd got loads of talent - and so the many of the people arounf here - He's a professional. Look at it like this:

You can have all the tools etc at your disposal and to a competent brake job in your driveway in a 1-2 hours (if you don't have to cut the rotors) a professional mechanic can do a brake job in about 20 miutes (30-40 if he does have to cut the rotors). He does it for a living - he doesen't have to fumble through his tool box for the right tool etc etc... The brake jobs are equally good in the end but one was done much quicker - and easier then the other, the same with Randy - he's been building at a professional level for a long time and can do things with a hobby knife in 2 minutes it would take us 2 days to complete - because he does it all the time... We do it when we can carve out a couple of hours from our lives... That's the diffence.

All that being said - awesome model by a very talented professional modeler. Now if I can convince him to make a kit of the SD to go with e Blocakde runner he mastered... :D

Jedi Dade

34. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

That is just amazing. i liked his work so much that i purchased his Consular ship. i hear its beautiful too.

35. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Jul 13 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1280159[/snapback]</div>
    It is. Mine just arrived a couple of days ago. large part count and very nicely cast - and is hollow for easy lighting... Now if I can put it together without misaligning the engines... that will be a miracle :lol

Jedi Dade

36. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Hey JD, if we get a chance lets start a post on the Consular ship builds, just to show off Randys other works. (just an idea)

37. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Jul 16 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]1281761[/snapback]</div>
    GREAT idea.

38. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Wont be long till i start my CS so ill share gladly .

39. seknewb

seknewb Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jedi Dade @ Jul 13 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]1280020[/snapback]</div>

4 weeks ??? What took him so long... ;)

I've had the pleasure of working on a number of films with Randy and can only say...

They don't get much better..

His personal projects consistently surpass some of the best film work out there. And the speed he does them in is beyond phenomenal. Certainly one of the best. Was sad to hear he had left the biz, but it's good for everyone because now we get Tripods and CS kits... Can't wait to see what's next.

40. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Radiant v so ive heard, id give an organ if he'd do the nebulon B, and i dont mean a piano shaped instrument hehe.

41. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Yeah, its going to be the Radiant VII from episode 1 in the same scale as the Consular ship, and its the same price too.
    man i cant wait..

42. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

LOVE the cockpit.

Amazing...just amazing....