Studio Scale A-Wing??

Thanks for the input guys. And thanks also for the pics, very useful! - As and when the Speeder is sorted I may contact Micheal and see if he already has plans. Also wondered if efX may be wanting to do it??

At 60cm long an SS A-wing would be considerably bigger than a 1/24th version so Michael may not be wanting to take the plunge. All lit up it would be a nice one to add to a collection though....

Hey Lee, as mentioned before if I do it I'd be honoured to have you ride shotgun re kit ID's :)

Anyway, I digress...back to Hoth for the time being I think!

N

Nick my masters are for the SS version my model is HUGE!!!:lol The engines are huge it's a great subject I hope the demand is high enough for you to get into it!!:love

Here is a shot of me working on mine currently. It's big in SS at 60 cm long it's right at 2ft!! You can see how big the engines are as they are sitting in front of the window!!

A great pic of a master at work! Ill add, this model is huge, and will be very impressive as a GK, have to be in FG though, resin would just be a joke IMO.

lee

For those of you who think the A-wing is the odd fighter out........your right only because Luke skywalker didn't fly it!!!:lol

He didn't fly the Y-wing either, but that's very "Star Wars". The A-wing IS an odd man out in many ways. It's too small; foreshadows the Prequel micro-fighter-itis disease - in Kenobi's words, no fighter that small can get this far into space on its own...yet we see them making the jump to hyperspace. It's a very McQuarrie design in a field dominated by Johnston originals or repackagings. It has even fewer straight lines than a B-wing.

But it has a proper Star Wars colour scheme, looks fine on screen, and in SS would I have one? Yes please! :)

Thanks Michael. You set a pretty high bar though! - if I do an A-wing it would feel like I'm some copycat stalker mirroring what you do!

As per Lee's comment re construction I'd do the hull as I'm planning to do the T47, ie an epoxy shell. Strong but light and very little shrinkage.

Unless something/someone to deter me surfaces over the next few months while I finish with the Speeder, I guess I'll put my hat in the ring for this one...assuming there would be enough interest etc. I reckon with what I've picked up doing the T47 I could even turn this one around a bit faster. We'll see....

N

I don't have any plans for any A-wing!!:lol Shoot when I get done with mine I just want to watch someone besides me build one!!!

For those of you who think the A-wing is the odd fighter out........your right only because Luke skywalker didn't fly it!!!:lol

People don't understand how impressive this subjectis in SS it's huge!!!

You guys should show interest and help make this happen.....becuase your not going to get one from me!!:lol You don't want one from me to much work!!

If Nick gets his head around this one like the masters I saw for the 47 you guys are in for a treat!!

Michael

No way I don't build kits Nick, and I could not build this thing the right way for the masses so it's all yours!!:lol:thumbsup

I wouldn't say myself the speeder was harder or easier than a A-wing, they are both two different types of builds.They are both hard but ,the A-wing just has a lot of compound curves to deal with on different assemblies.

Speaking from one who owns one of Michael's fantastic A-wings.... I must agree! This would make a great kit! And a sought after one as well! :D

:angel
awing8.jpg

Here are the rest of my A Wing pics. Hope they help for any future project.
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p291/boba_flint/A Wing/
Do you have any good pics of the decals on top of the A-Wing?

Gday, Kurt & 3d builder suggested I sign up for this too(I hopefully just put myself down for 2 speeders?) as I was enquireing about Kurts most excellent piece. So Im in, please, if your on this next:cool

Thanks, and welcome aboard. It would be a project for next year, but yes if the T47 doesn't kill me, then I'd like to have a crack at an A-wing then probably call it a day on doing kits like this. I have some other grand plans lurking in my crumbling brain....

Gday, Kurt & 3d builder suggested I sign up for this too(I hopefully just put myself down for 2 speeders?) as I was enquireing about Kurts most excellent piece. So Im in, please, if your on this next:cool

Excellent & thankyou for the welcome. I look forward to watching you progress. As an apprentice I wont post much as am in the learning process. I will be here enthusiastically absorbing as much as possible:eek Thanks again, best regards, Omes72

I know quite a few modelers and collectors that will be IN for this beastie!

Great choice for your next project Nick! (y)cool:thumbsup

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back