Stranger Things (Netflix)

Plus to de-age kids by a few years feels pretty absurd to me. I'm still not a huge fan of this de aging tech with older or dead actors but why not just write age appropriate stories and cast accordingly rather than spend millions on CG? For all the effort gone into the effect, you could just write a better story. It seems like the easier route. Or recast if necessary. Idk I still feel like deepfakes, no matter how impressive they can get as time goes on, is still a parlor trick that really should be used minimally. Then again when has Hollywood ever shown restraint when it come to some new tool?

Plus to de-age kids by a few years feels pretty absurd to me. I'm still not a huge fan of this de aging tech with older or dead actors but why not just write age appropriate stories and cast accordingly rather than spend millions on CG? For all the effort gone into the effect, you could just write a better story. It seems like the easier route. Or recast if necessary. Idk I still feel like deepfakes, no matter how impressive they can get as time goes on, is still a parlor trick that really should be used minimally. Then again when has Hollywood ever shown restraint when it come to some new tool?
Obviously they think it’s easier to spend the money on a poorly developed story masked by fan favorite characters than it is to spend the time to write a good story that can stand on its own.

you'd have to shrink them a good 6-12" as well :)

i wonder if the portals in the ground are just for the poster or if that’s going to be a theme for the season..

I completely understand.. but “just because you can do it, doesn’t always mean you should”

That's why i'd prefer to see similar looking actors like Milly Bobby Brown (Leia) or Sebastian Stan (Luke) in StarWars rather than CG or deep fake stuff no matter how good it is, it just fatigues my brain after a while.
All that greenscreen CGI in the prequels is way too much and find them difficult to watch again in one sitting.

While there is still a slight uncanny valley aspect, deepfakes just don't bother me. There are limitations for sure but the tech is ever improving. Luke in TBOBF mostly worked for me, at least moreso than if it had been just some dude that looked a bit like Luke. In the case of dead actors, I don't have an issue with it as long as the estate gives the blessing. I remember there was a big hooplah over Laurence Olivier being in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (remember it?) but it was much ado about nothing, imo. Of course, that was looooong before deepfakes and they just reworked old footage of him to make it work.

I was talking to someone about shows like Westworld, where the first season was good but it's been a relentless slide ever since. It's the Heroes effect. The first season was amazing and they spent the rest of the run trying desperately to recapture the magic and never succeeding. I don't think Stranger Things is that bad but maybe it needs to die sooner rather than later. It wasn't their fault, but the wait for season 4 has just been too long. It's time to pack it in.
I've noticed that some show runners have a problem with their pacing. and resolve the main premise of the show in the first season. But because networks can't have a successful and popular show run for just one season, they renew it for more and it's just not as good because everything the show was about was resolved in the first season. Alias did this too, they wrapped up the big mystery in the first season and the rest of the show's run just felt like the writers were going what now every episode of every season since S1.

On the other hand, I hate when a show has a mystery or premise to it and the networks just drag the show on for too long until it runs out of steam and we either never get to see mystery/premise resolved because it got canceled too late in its production run to write an edning. Or, the show either has too many loose ends to tie up in just one season or they get notified that they're being canceled too late to work the entire season around ending the show and we get a lackluster, rushed ending ala Lost.

I adore this show and I'm eagerly waiting for Season 4. In a time where studios are determined to drag on shows forever its refreshing that the creators have an end goal in mind. That's the mark of good writing in my estimation.
I imagine that the Duffer brothers aren't unique in that, it's just that they were lucky that Netflix was ok with them ending the show on their own terms and not just dragging it on until just gets almost no views. I'm sure that a lot of show runners for shows in the past have had planned endings for their shows but because the network just keeps renewing the show season after season the show runners never get the chance to properly end the show as planned because they have either left the show before the end or it gets canceled too late in the production cycle or even after the last episode has already aired.

Well from Netflix perspective they likely know the delay due to the pandemic, combined with the principle actors literally outgrowing their roles and they know they're operating on borrowed time. I get that money is all that matters to studios but as a consumer, if a story is allowed to end with a shred of it's dignity intact, that's a win in my book.

I've noticed that some show runners have a problem with their pacing. and resolve the main premise of the show in the first season. But because networks can't have a successful and popular show run for just one season, they renew it for more and it's just not as good because everything the show was about was resolved in the first season. Alias did this too, they wrapped up the big mystery in the first season and the rest of the show's run just felt like the writers were going what now every episode of every season since S1.

On the other hand, I hate when a show has a mystery or premise to it and the networks just drag the show on for too long until it runs out of steam and we either never get to see mystery/premise resolved because it got canceled too late in its production run to write an edning. Or, the show either has too many loose ends to tie up in just one season or they get notified that they're being canceled too late to work the entire season around ending the show and we get a lackluster, rushed ending ala Lost.
Or they never had an ending in mind to begin with and it was half-assed. I really think showrunners ought to be required to provide an outline for at least the first three seasons and an ending to their main storyline before anyone will even look at it. Unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't work that way, which is why Hollywood sucks so bad.

Or they never had an ending in mind to begin with and it was half-assed. I really think showrunners ought to be required to provide an outline for at least the first three seasons and an ending to their main storyline before anyone will even look at it. Unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't work that way, which is why Hollywood sucks so bad.
Not sure if pitching a show i'd give them the planned ending....studios are not known for being good at keeping secrets. Stuff always gets out.

Seriously thought last season could have ended the series.. kids split up, 11 loses her powers and now a normal person..

Hopper “dead” and Joyce Byers starting life over…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back