Stranger Things: Chief Jim Hopper's winter jacket?

Sorry for the Necropst, but has anyone considered ordering one of the extremely large sizes and having it tailored down?
Any chances we can get 3,000 people to order the jacket?
I’m just throwing ideas out there. Sorry if I’m breaking any rules.

Sorry for thread revival, now it's October 2020 and I've been looking on the interweb and finding nothing similar.

I've tried searching B-9, split hood, detachable hood, Butwin, Simco, United Pioneer, and Pinnacleworx and nothing vintage or new that looks right.

Especially problematic for me because I'm the same size as David Harbour, meaning size 2XL.

It's such a classic design and so many people have made them for various markets (law enforcement, work clothing, hunting/outdoor, fashion) that it's inevitable that sooner or later somebody is going to put them into production again.

BTW from the screen shots posted it looks like the S1 parka is Navy Blue and the S2 parka is Royal Blue. Is that just the difference between indoor and outdoor light?

As the OP of this thread, I apologize for never giving an update on my hunt. It was a success. I found the real thing.

In late 2017 after a few calls with the gentleman who owned and operated United Pioneer, I was told that he was able to locate the one (1!) very last example of the blue split-hood parka in a regular size, in their warehouse inventory. The model had been discontinued for several years and this one was sitting on a shelf. It was a Small, but it fit like a Medium (which is just by luck exactly my size). It was a 94B-L, which is the longer version of the regular 94B (if you trimmed the bottom, it would look the same).

When I got it in the mail, it was covered in dust from sitting for so long. But after a thorough dry cleaning, it was as good as new. The only difference between this one and the one on the show was A) the size, and B) the length. In every other way (color, material, pockets, buttons, hood, etc), it was identical to the model that Hopper wore. Like I said, the bottom of the parka would just have to be trimmed a few inches to match the one on the show.

I haven't used the jacket at all since I bought it, because I've never been able to find an accurate Hawkins Police patch (all of the ones I've seen online each have some sort of inaccuracy). I'm a stickler for details, so that's what has stopped me from putting the whole thing together. The American flag patch looks terrific, however, and was kindly provided to me by Dr Jones Sr.

And so it sits in my closet. Unless I come to the conclusion that nobody out there is going to make an accurate replica of the Hawkins Police patch, it'll probably continue sitting. Here are some photos:

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

Regarding the color: these photos look slightly different in hue on my iPhone and my older MacBook Pro. A lot of how the color shows up has to do with the lighting of the photos and your display's calibration, and this goes double for the jacket on the show since everything is color-graded in post-production. In real life, this jacket looks navy blue.

Speaking of which...

BTW from the screen shots posted it looks like the S1 parka is Navy Blue and the S2 parka is Royal Blue. Is that just the difference between indoor and outdoor light?
I would be very surprised if they were different colors, or different parkas even. In my research (as far as I can remember anyway, since 2017 feels like several years ago), I don't recall seeing these United Pioneer parkas offered in two different variants of blue. My best guess is that it's just a result of the lighting.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!! And for all those great pics!

EDIT: just found this on Ebay now, searching "snorkel parka". It's 3XL, perhaps too big even for me, and it's the longer version.

About the Hawkins Police patch, I went around and around with the patch company. It was bizarre: I sent them the beautiful screen-accurate graphics made by Pinder, they would send me a preliminary mockup which was perfect, then they would send the final mockup where they changed things! They would change the font, the stars, whatever. I could NOT impress on them that I wanted the patch exactly like the graphic I sent them!

I need to investigate some different patch companies. Sorry to say I got burned out by the whole frustrating process.

But you should put together your parka!

"Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good."

Last edited:
"Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
Wow. Wow! This quote really had an impact on me. Believe it or not, I had never come across it before—but reading it in your post made me stop and think for a minute. You're right. My own perfectionism often gets in the way of actually doing things.

Regarding this particular parka, I think my biggest hang-up is the fear that a more accurate patch will be made after I've already ironed an existing one on, and that the switch to a new one will be tedious and/or impossible. For one, the shape or size of the new patch might not be the same... meaning I'll either be stuck with an unsightly triangle of adhesive residue that will peek out from underneath the new patch, or there will be visible embroidery holes from the previous patch. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

You mentioned that the company you were trying out did send you a preliminary mockup which was perfect... do you still have it? I'd love to buy it from you!

By the way, that parka on eBay looks very similar to mine. It even has the same tag! The only difference seems to be in color (the parka actually does look like a lighter blue, and its hood looks black rather than dark blue), but again, that could just be the lighting.

I forgot to add a detail to my previous post: my parka does actually have pocket flaps, which I tucked in to match Hopper's (which also probably has them). Here are a couple photos of what they look like untucked:

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

Thanks! I don't know where that quote is from, but it made an impact on me when I heard it. Keeps us from immobilizing ourselves over what, in truth, are minor things.

Both of the patches on my Hopper shirt are sewn on. I hate iron-on! They're so stiff, with that heavy shiny glue back.

Hmmm....thinking about picking up that parka....

The plot thickens! Thanks for the great pics and info, Flynn.
No problem! Glad it was helpful.

Hmmm....thinking about picking up that parka....
I'd say if your only concern is size, contact the seller and inquire about its measurements. Unfortunately it looks like they don't accept returns, but I'd say it's worth getting if it's as rare as it is... and if it's close enough to your size that you'd be able to have it altered to fit you. Better to order a size up than a size down! But I'll leave the decision up to you.

Finally a pretty accurate-looking B9 Parka in the right colour and right size (marked "large" but 51 inch chest) came up on Ebay and I got it.

Yes I know it's the long version! And I need to look into chopping it. I know a terrific seamstress who could do it, I'm sure.

And when I get it I'll see how I might proceed with the lining.

And those cuffs??

Thing is, I doubt I'm ever going to wear it as part of my Cosplay. It will be a general winter coat for me.

wC0ogaA.jpg

Hey I know it's kind of an old thread but I found a store that has the right jacket (long version) from an old stock brand new if anyone is interested !
I just ordered one, they have small, large and xlarge

Hey I know it's kind of an old thread but I found a store that has the right jacket (long version) from an old stock brand new if anyone is interested !
I just ordered one, they have small, large and xlarge
Do you still have this info? I'm back looking for this jacket.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back