Dune 2021 Atreides dress uniform + trench coat [pic heavy]

I got my fabric sample in for the uniform, and I think it looks pretty damn close. It's a brushed cotton twill, really nice and heavy, and forest green, but under all but the most intense light sources it looks almost black or dark charcoal. Not quite a perfect match for all the different ways the uniforms look under various lighting conditions, but a lot closer than I initially thought I'd be able to find, so I think I'm going to go with it. It's a little closer to olive than I'd really prefer, but I definitely think it's a close enough match for how the uniforms look most of the time, both on-screen and in prop displays. Here are some photos taken under varying degrees of intensity of natural light (first three pics) and flash (last two), including comparisons with the type of black waxed cotton I'm planning to use for the trench coat:
IMG-1111.JPGIMG-1113.JPGIMG-1122.JPGIMG-1141.JPGIMG-1142.JPG

I got my fabric sample in for the uniform, and I think it looks pretty damn close. It's a brushed cotton twill, really nice and heavy, and forest green, but under all but the most intense light sources it looks almost black or dark charcoal. Not quite a perfect match for all the different ways the uniforms look under various lighting conditions, but a lot closer than I initially thought I'd be able to find, so I think I'm going to go with it. It's a little closer to olive than I'd really prefer, but I definitely think it's a close enough match for how the uniforms look most of the time, both on-screen and in prop displays. Here are some photos taken under varying degrees of intensity of natural light (first three pics) and flash (last two), including comparisons with the type of black waxed cotton I'm planning to use for the trench coat:
View attachment 1550780View attachment 1550779View attachment 1550778View attachment 1550777View attachment 1550776
You should take new images with black background.

I tried lol, they looked awful on my phone's camera but I'm looking into getting a new one soon and I'll hopefully be able to take better progress pictures then. The fabric just arrived today, but I have a lot of projects going on at once and I haven't ordered the lining yet so I'm not sure when I'll get around to starting on actually sewing.

I was wondering, if you use same color fabric but in duck cloth instead twill so that would be more close to SA.

Here is the reference pic, but you can use yours twill fabric for prototype.
This is duck canvas jacket, you can see in this image, inside collar also in canvas fabric.
IMG-0442.JPG

It still looks like a twill to me, and in other images where the light's hitting it at more of an angle the texture looks softer than canvas. But either way, I'm amazed that I was able to find this color at all and I really doubt I'm finding it in anything else.

There is simple way to identify fabric, it's twill or canvas.
If fabric has diagonal lines it means this is twill fabric like Dirll.
OR fabric has horizontal pattern that would be canvas.
Anyway, did you find the jacket under shirt?

Screenshot 2022-03-04 121536.png

confirmed the color of the uniforms are a Dark bottle green( from Imagine FX magazine publication Oct 2021)

On Left:Cotton canvas dark bottle green swatch( I can see why it elusively looks black) On Right: Example(dark bottle green twill)
780259_pack_solid.jpg
420411_pack_solid.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-04 122252.png

Close up against other fabric and weave

Example of fabric and weave of Dark Bottle Green twill
420411_pack.jpg

(Via Vogue - Oct 27 2021))
As the son of a duke, Chalamet’s Paul leads a life of privilege, albeit one that is disrupted upon his father’s death. Illustrating that change through fashion was essential. West found inspiration in the films of British director Sir David Lean, whose historical dramas Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia informed the character’s wardrobe. “When Paul is still living in the palace, he has this very pared-down Zhivago-inspired jacket—clean lines, no buttons as I didn’t think buttons and zippers would make it into the future,” says West. “Instead, we gave him medallions made from rare-earth metals and magnets so he could flip his collar closed when he needed to be formal.

Last edited:
That makes more sense, because I can definitely see ribbing on the fabric and regular canvas would seem like an odd choice to me for a military dress uniform.

I also love the long Atriedes black coats they wear on Caladan, I found this clearance pattern at the fabric store. I have some heavy, green wool I'm going to try first because it has the right weight and drape, I'll do the black fur collar as well, fans of Shadow and Bone might like it. I then plan on changing the collar to the straight one and adding the leather strips at the back, embroidering the Atriedes bird on the sleeve. This pattern is from the Butterick Historical costumes line. I will have to take out the pleats at the back as well.
IMG_2380.jpeg

Last edited:
The day after I posted this that ******* COVID hit me like a freight train.....that pile of pieces are still staring me in the face, will hopefully post some progress soon! However I found some black wool so I will be able to start on the black overcoat right after, I know it's not the waterproof stuff like in the movie but it was cheap so when I inevitably screw it up it's not a huge loss.

Take care yourself always.
I have started work on Dune Still suit will post progress soon and that would be done end of May.
I'm planning to develop uniform jacket too after still suit.

I finished the pants and the jacket is coming along well, I just test fitted the zipper. Still need to stitch it in (by hand), but it looks like it'll work perfectly, and that's the part I was most worried about. After that I'll just have to finish up the remaining bits of hand stitching (closing up the lining, fastening the buckles down, adding invisible fasteners for the cuffs and epaulettes), and paint and add pins to the collar insignia I ordered. I'll possibly a little red hawk crest to the front like Leto's uniform has too (it can be seen when he's not wearing the larger red badge), to make it more accurate to the description in the book. Then I'll have to throw a shirt together real quick before a con that's in two weeks (the one I ordered that I was hoping would work was too big, and the collar wouldn't sit right under the jacket). I probably won't start on the black coat until later in the summer, I still have a backlog of other projects I've finished the patterns and bought the materials for that I'd like to finish first.

I finished the pants and the jacket is coming along well, I just test fitted the zipper. Still need to stitch it in (by hand), but it looks like it'll work perfectly, and that's the part I was most worried about. After that I'll just have to finish up the remaining bits of hand stitching (closing up the lining, fastening the buckles down, adding invisible fasteners for the cuffs and epaulettes), and paint and add pins to the collar insignia I ordered. I'll possibly a little red hawk crest to the front like Leto's uniform has too (it can be seen when he's not wearing the larger red badge), to make it more accurate to the description in the book. Then I'll have to throw a shirt together real quick before a con that's in two weeks (the one I ordered that I was hoping would work was too big, and the collar wouldn't sit right under the jacket). I probably won't start on the black coat until later in the summer, I still have a backlog of other projects I've finished the patterns and bought the materials for that I'd like to finish first.
The jacket challenging part is, how collar sit. This is not regular collar that attach on neck, it's lay down at toward on front neck part.

Last edited:
I tried lol, they looked awful on my phone's camera but I'm looking into getting a new one soon and I'll hopefully be able to take better progress pictures then. The fabric just arrived today, but I have a lot of projects going on at once and I haven't ordered the lining yet so I'm not sure when I'll get around to starting on actually sewing.
I finally looked for and found a cheaper than new phone option. The canon 70d and 80d series used cameras. Wifi, bluetooth, remote shutter options, ability to view on phone remotely what the camera is seeing and wonderful for all things cosplay. Only downside, they are next gen batteries so no double AA swaps. This completely flipped my cosplay on end and now I can do color tests like you are showing with confidence because these are exceptionally good under low light so you can low light match colors from low light scenes doing what you are showing. And kudos for sharing this color test. It took me years to figure out why everyone (incorrectly) said Boromir's coat was black when it was sewn with prussian blue material. I have the build photos prior to the movie color grading so I knew something was off.

I finally looked for and found a cheaper than new phone option. The canon 70d and 80d series used cameras. Wifi, bluetooth, remote shutter options, ability to view on phone remotely what the camera is seeing and wonderful for all things cosplay. Only downside, they are next gen batteries so no double AA swaps. This completely flipped my cosplay on end and now I can do color tests like you are showing with confidence because these are exceptionally good under low light so you can low light match colors from low light scenes doing what you are showing. And kudos for sharing this color test. It took me years to figure out why everyone (incorrectly) said Boromir's coat was black when it was sewn with prussian blue material. I have the build photos prior to the movie color grading so I knew something was off.
I finally got a new phone a few weeks ago, and I just finished making the shirt the other day so I'll try to get around to taking pictures soon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back