Stormtrooper armour

Cal,check HERE for details on the belt.

The boots are black leather jodhpurs spray painted with white leather dye.I masked the soles and gave them about 4 or 5 coats.

Cool. thanks for the link..... I just can't keep up with all the threads out there ;)

I figured you went the accurate way for the boots I was just giving you grief

did they use elastic straps to connect the hand plates, or were the originals glued on?

nice armor by the way :thumbsup Where did you get it from? or did you make the molds?

<div class='quotetop'>(oldken @ Jun 29 2006, 06:13 PM) [snapback]1270841[/snapback]</div>
werent the gloves in ANH more of a spandex or rubbery type material, and in ROTJ more of a cloth fabric?

[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(Jiminy Jedi @ Jul 16 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]1281812[/snapback]</div>
did they use elastic straps to connect the hand plates, or were the originals glued on?

nice armor by the way :thumbsup Where did you get it from? or did you make the molds?

[/b]

The originals ANH hand guards were glued on.

So far I've never seen any accurate ones on any replica suits , the originals were made of a thick, flexible/ rubbery material, some kind of black rubber painted white.

I've yet to see someone produce something close ( I'm sure Paul will :) ).

<div class='quotetop'>(HDPE STORMY @ Jul 17 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]1282531[/snapback]</div>
The originals ANH hand guards were glued on.

So far I've never seen any accurate ones on any replica suits , the originals were made of a thick, flexible/ rubbery material, some kind of black rubber painted white.

[/b]

Sorry for going a bit off topic - but I had a thought before that these hand guards may have been an already existing item like a rubber / linoleum / plastic floor tile that would have been cheap and readily available and they have just been cut to size.

Anybody got any thoughts on this or is it known that these were made exclusively for the costumes?

Another strange thing in ANH I haven't seen discussed is that some of the sandtroopers have a wierd looking bumpy hand guard has anybody noticed this before?

Cheers Chris.

<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ Jul 17 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]1282544[/snapback]</div>
Another strange thing in ANH I haven't seen discussed is that some of the sandtroopers have a wierd looking bumpy hand guard has anybody noticed this before?

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

Hi Chris,

These ones?

sandy_1.jpg

Not only have I noticed them Chris,I've already made them :p
Sandplate.jpg

Some say they were gaffer tape,some say a found item used for a quick fix replacement,but I made them anyway :D

I aready have a mould waiting for the flexible hand guards.I've noticed in ANH white paint coming off some of the hand guards,and they look brown to me.I have some brown hot melt rubber that I'm going to try,and I'm also going to try making them from white silicone sealant.They could be easily glued onto my rubber gloves and would be better than the plastic ones IMO.

-Paul.

Very cool Paul :thumbsup

Sorry we must have posted at the same time what are your thoughts on the other pic I posted it certainly looks like that hand plate has studs / bumps on it and an edge / trim around the edge.

Agreed these pieces most likely are makeshift replacements.

Cheers Chris.

I think they are the same style hand guards Chris.I've colour coded the high points that I think match on the other pic.One pic shows a cracked guard,but I think the light is making the 'colour coded' spots look like they are raised higher than they actually are.It's the way the 'slots or strips' are configured on the guard and the sun light shining off,but I don't think there is anything like studs on them :) .
handguardcomp.jpg

Thanks WC :thumbsup

Hi Paul,

I see what you mean it is the sunlight making these pieces seem raised.

Looking at the hand guard again and your version it looks incredibly like cable tray or cable trunking. Either a plastic cable tray they had with them or a metal cable tray vac formed over before they left for Tunisia. I am thinking they would have had a lot of this stuff with the film and sound crews.

Here is an example (not a great one just the first one I could drag up) of some metal cable tray just as an idea.

CT.jpg

Also in both of the images it looks like there may the solid edges on two sides of the hand guard this could be the part on plastic cable tray that clips over onto the main tray like a kind of tray lid. I have highlighted what I think may be the clip over lip in red. I will try to find a better example of snap together plastic cable tray.

sandy3.JPG

Cheers Chris.

<div class='quotetop'>(Jango_Fett_Jr @ Jul 17 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]1282679[/snapback]</div>
I always found this guy's handplate funny:
sw_k_36.jpg

[/b]

Snap.. I think I always found it strange because I had presumed for years the handplates were solid (probably due to seeing and owning fan made armour). When I realised they were a flexible material it makes sense as his hand is closed around his gun that it would flex like this. Most troopers we see hands are not gripping anything and so the hand plates look flatter.

Just my thoughts :)

Cheers Chris.

I always noticed that handplate as well.

Troopermaster is right about the ANH plates being some sort of dark rubbery material cut to shape and painted white. It looks very thick and rubbery and in a couple of promo shots it's a very rough cut along the edge.

Fascinating stuff.

Paul, I agree with the base color on the handplates being brown. VITC; very interesting idea with the cable track. It looks like a good possibility.

<div class='quotetop'>(Seth B @ Jul 18 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]1283108[/snapback]</div>
Paul, I agree with the base color on the handplates being brown. VITC; very interesting idea with the cable track. It looks like a good possibility.
[/b]

Nice info :thumbsup .
Hey trooper master, would you ever think of selling an accurate rubber hand plate?

I would buy one probably :p .

I have another question... not hand related. How was the chest plate assembled? Is it connected to the back plate at all?

The chest is connected to the back by a white strip of canvas.The canvas strap is glued to the back plate,and has a couple of snaps running along it's lenght that connect to a snap glued to the inside of the chest.The snaps on the strap can be snapped together making the strap shorter to allow for adjustment.I have some pics of mine HERE

I'll take some more pics of the inside of my armour to show you how I did it.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back