Stephanie Brown Batgirl Costume

It's really hot where I live. (it's supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend) I have the cowl open in the back mainly so I don't die of heat exhaustion. Maybe if I go to a con in the winter, I'll do something like that!

The con I'm going to is Comicpalooza in Houston. If you live close by, I'd highly recommend checking it out!

That is a really good idea. And it probably helps w/heat escape/makes it more breathable. Helps to look complete, but also helps w/over heating. Somewhat like an under armour material.

Basically a Wicking (I feel I'm spelling this wrong) Spandex like Coolmax Lycra would be good because like UnderArmor's HeatGear (which is AMAZING) it's meant to manage your body's moisture to help keep you cool... and help keep suit sweating under control.
If you're tempted to give it a shot I'd go for something like that.

I definitely hear you on the heat though, I've got AL Phoenix Fest this weekend and its supposed to average around 96 >_<! If DragonCon is in your cards though I'd absolutely recommend looking into some form of Heatgear style undergarments for the suit. Atlanta is a beast in September. It's either 98 or in rare occurrences 50 (for 24 hours, then its 98 again) and the Gotham and DC shoots are usually outside.

Very cool! It looks like the chin strap wouldn't cast because the mold is a forward facing mold. If the mold were done as a wrap around mold then you might have gotten all of the sculpt in the cast.

I am just learning about molding and casting so I may be wrong but from what I have learned so far that would be my two cents. :)

I will be casting a re-cast of my Rubies Commemorative cowl with some modifications to the sculpt in silicone flesh, and hopefully retractable EL panel lenses. Ultimate cowl IMO.

Thank you! Most of the mistakes are in the underarms, but are fairly well hidden by the cape.

The cowl doesn't wrap around my head fully. It actually cuts off right behind my ears, and sits far enough back on my head that it doesn't fall forward. The cowl was supposed to have a bit that went around the chin to keep it in place, but that would. not. cast. (I tried 3 times, 3 different ways). Also, the back of my neck is totally open.

I bought the belt for my waist online, but I made the one on my leg (which you can't see) out of elastic, foam, and a bra hook/eyelet thing for easy removal.

I think you did a nice job creating the costume and thought you looked rather exuberant while taking the pictures. :)

The only reason I found this item is due to the comment from Abiwankenobi about your molding.When saying you wee having a issue with the chin strap molding properly it got me to wondering.

When you molding the mask and inserted the core (lifecast) was the opening facing up or towards the ceiling?

Dean

I think you did a nice job creating the costume and thought you looked rather exuberant while taking the pictures. :)

The only reason I found this item is due to the comment from Abiwankenobi about your molding.When saying you wee having a issue with the chin strap molding properly it got me to wondering.

When you molding the mask and inserted the core (lifecast) was the opening facing up or towards the ceiling?

Dean

No I had it facing down. I tried to coat the chin strap as I poured it in, but it just wouldn't go.

Good looking Bat Girl. =)

+100 to the underarmour. I'm out of Austin, and have worn that stuff day in and day out there, Iraq, and Afghanistan. It's the only way to survive if you have to wear stifling or long clothing. It can get pricey, though, if you buy it direct. I like to go to their San Marcos outlet that's between Austin and San Antonio (if you live in that direction). Good luck!

tumblr_m4zvdl4Z0e1ru0on8o1_500.jpg

So here's a picture of me at the con. (somebody else posted it online)

Tips I learned:
- don't hot glue anything that can be pulled/stepped on
- snaps only work if you can set them properly
- bring hot glue for repairs (i thought of that beforehand and was glad I did)
- ice packs are wonderful things

But really. Sew or permanently attach everything you possibly can. It's a pain to do it in the first place, but TRUST ME, it pays off in a hurry

- don't hot glue anything that can be pulled/stepped on
- snaps only work if you can set them properly
- bring hot glue for repairs (i thought of that beforehand and was glad I did)
- ice packs are wonderful things

But really. Sew or permanently attach everything you possibly can. It's a pain to do it in the first place, but TRUST ME, it pays off in a hurry

Amen sister. Welcome to Batman costuming ;) You should also post a tutorial at the Brotherhood of the Bat

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back