Stephanie Brown Batgirl Costume

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by iamthenight, May 22, 2012.

1. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

Hey guys! This is my most recent costume project that I am doing for comicpalooza this weekend.

I bought the bodysuit as a base (it was all black), and I also bought the boots, gloves, and waist belt. Everything else was made by me!

There are a few pictures of the work in progress below. The one with all the posters in the background is the most recent.

The cowl is made of foam that I poured into a mold. I basically followed the same process as on FaceOff.

I sewed the purple panels on (and thankfully didn't mess up too much). I sewed the cape as well.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! ^_^

2. theblueraja

theblueraja New Member

Nice work.
    Any details on the cowl production? I might steal ideas for my IM shoulder bells. :)

3. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

Nice work, seems clean. :)

4. TK-1776

TK-1776 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, looks great. Love it

5. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Great job, I saw one of those belts at the Salvation Army, should've snagged it.
    That's awesome, you "poured" foam into a mold? What type if I may.

6. kidUltron

kidUltron Member

Good work and welcome to the boards! If you find yourself needing any help don't hesitate to give a shout. :)

Slightly OT but; woohoo for some Steph Brown costume love! DC doesn't know what they're missing out on.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  7. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

I made a lifecast of my face (well, my dad did the actual casting part. I did the sitting still part :p ). Then I scultped the cowl onto my lifecast with plasticene. Then I made a negative mold with silicone rubber (it takes pretty much all day), and a plastipaste hard shell for the mold. Then I poured the foam mix into the mold and put the lifecast in before it foamed a lot (don't forget mold release!), and out came a cowl a few hours later!

8. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

I think it was a polyurethane foam. It has a shore hardness of 25 (17 also works) and I bought the stuff from smooth on. I got 2 cowls from one bottle.

It comes in 2 bottles and you have to mix parts A and B (depending on what you're working with either by volume or mass) then pour the mix in. It's a really fast process, like 3 minutes to stir, pour, and get the lifecast in the mold.

9. Dozer3677

Dozer3677 Well-Known Member

It looks great. The purple paneling looks very clean. I don't see any mistakes or off lines in the pics you provided. The first thing I noticed was the utility belt. Did you make all the pouches, or did you find a fully assembled belt?

Also, in the first pic, the cowl looks like it fully wraps around your head. Does it? I would think a full cowl would interfere w/your hair. Did you make the back of the neck higher up to let your hair sit comfortably?

10. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks very clean indeed. Great job on the build.

Any plans for any additions in the future? I'm not a big DC guy, but I feel like I've seen a picture of this suit with a secondary utility belt on her leg. (utility garter?) That'd be cool to see.

-Nick

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  11. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

I do actually have it on in the picture where I'm turned sideways, but you just can't see it. I made that one out of elastic and foam, and I just turned the wrong way for the photo. I'll get a picture of it soon :)

12. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh! I see the little glimmer of yellow there now! Nevermind, looks like you thought of everything. :lol

Where did you get your base body suit from?

-Nick

13. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

Thank you! Most of the mistakes are in the underarms, but are fairly well hidden by the cape.

The cowl doesn't wrap around my head fully. It actually cuts off right behind my ears, and sits far enough back on my head that it doesn't fall forward. The cowl was supposed to have a bit that went around the chin to keep it in place, but that would. not. cast. (I tried 3 times, 3 different ways). Also, the back of my neck is totally open.

I bought the belt for my waist online, but I made the one on my leg (which you can't see) out of elastic, foam, and a bra hook/eyelet thing for easy removal.

14. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

Thanks! :) The only thing I'm missing is weaponry lol.

I bought it from this really weird website based in china o_O they have all sorts of weird stuff. It was something like milanoo.com and the suit was about 20 bucks and the shipping was like 15. My friend got one too, so we split shipping.

15. outofcontrolreb

outofcontrolreb Member

Looks great

16. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

excellent!

17. kidUltron

kidUltron Member

You could attempt to cover the cowl in the same material you used for your cape; this way the back area could be covered. You'd have to work in the little V slit in the back she has to let her hair out in the comics though.
    Dunno if you have the time before your Con, but it could be something to have on the table. There's a good amount of experiment going on now with hardshells under cloth cowls.

18. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

It's really hot where I live. (it's supposed to be 90 degrees this weekend) I have the cowl open in the back mainly so I don't die of heat exhaustion. Maybe if I go to a con in the winter, I'll do something like that!

The con I'm going to is Comicpalooza in Houston. If you live close by, I'd highly recommend checking it out!

19. Dozer3677

Either way, it looks great. And w/the heat like you mentioned, it is a good idea. Long hair+hotness=yuck. But I asked because in your pictures, you cannot at all tell if it wraps fully or not. It looks like it does which IMO looks great. It looks complete, and also fully functions to your needs. And nice idea for the garter. Hooks>Velcro.

Only thing missing is some bat friends to get some pictures with. Have fun at the convention. Your Batgirl looks really great.

That is a really good idea. And it probably helps w/heat escape/makes it more breathable. Helps to look complete, but also helps w/over heating. Somewhat like an under armour material.

20. ChanceCrafts

ChanceCrafts Member

You look awesome!

21. GakAttack

GakAttack New Member

you seem extremely happy in the suit haha... great job! Looks amazing!

22. kidUltron

kidUltron Member

Basically a Wicking (I feel I'm spelling this wrong) Spandex like Coolmax Lycra would be good because like UnderArmor's HeatGear (which is AMAZING) it's meant to manage your body's moisture to help keep you cool... and help keep suit sweating under control.
    If you're tempted to give it a shot I'd go for something like that.

I definitely hear you on the heat though, I've got AL Phoenix Fest this weekend and its supposed to average around 96 >_<! If DragonCon is in your cards though I'd absolutely recommend looking into some form of Heatgear style undergarments for the suit. Atlanta is a beast in September. It's either 98 or in rare occurrences 50 (for 24 hours, then its 98 again) and the Gotham and DC shoots are usually outside.

23. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

It looks great! This is my favorite Batgirl suit design.

24. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

Nice job, it looks great!

25. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

these are some pics of the mold making process. enjoy :)

26. drftfan

drftfan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good job

27. pengbuzz

pengbuzz Well-Known Member

Nice work, iamthenight!

28. abiwankenobi

abiwankenobi New Member

Very cool! It looks like the chin strap wouldn't cast because the mold is a forward facing mold. If the mold were done as a wrap around mold then you might have gotten all of the sculpt in the cast.

I am just learning about molding and casting so I may be wrong but from what I have learned so far that would be my two cents. :)

I will be casting a re-cast of my Rubies Commemorative cowl with some modifications to the sculpt in silicone flesh, and hopefully retractable EL panel lenses. Ultimate cowl IMO.

29. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

I think you did a nice job creating the costume and thought you looked rather exuberant while taking the pictures. :)

The only reason I found this item is due to the comment from Abiwankenobi about your molding.When saying you wee having a issue with the chin strap molding properly it got me to wondering.

When you molding the mask and inserted the core (lifecast) was the opening facing up or towards the ceiling?

Dean

30. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

No I had it facing down. I tried to coat the chin strap as I poured it in, but it just wouldn't go.

31. Xerakon

Xerakon New Member

Good looking Bat Girl. =)

+100 to the underarmour. I'm out of Austin, and have worn that stuff day in and day out there, Iraq, and Afghanistan. It's the only way to survive if you have to wear stifling or long clothing. It can get pricey, though, if you buy it direct. I like to go to their San Marcos outlet that's between Austin and San Antonio (if you live in that direction). Good luck!

32. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

I will certainly invest in some!

33. Darthbauer

Darthbauer New Member

Just don't get anywhere near an open flame with underarmour on. It burns fast and melts to your skin.

34. Stinkape

Stinkape Active Member

Great work . That suit fits you very well. Again great work.

35. Dozer3677

:facepalm

Permanent Hulk skin. Almost as good as the guy who painted his skin w/military grade paint.

36. iamthenight

iamthenight New Member

[​IMG]

So here's a picture of me at the con. (somebody else posted it online)

Tips I learned:
    - don't hot glue anything that can be pulled/stepped on
    - snaps only work if you can set them properly
    - bring hot glue for repairs (i thought of that beforehand and was glad I did)
    - ice packs are wonderful things

But really. Sew or permanently attach everything you possibly can. It's a pain to do it in the first place, but TRUST ME, it pays off in a hurry

37. MagnumSPI

MagnumSPI New Member

Amen sister. Welcome to Batman costuming ;) You should also post a tutorial at the Brotherhood of the Bat

38. Demoriel

Demoriel Member

It fits really well, and looks great! congrats.

39. Vinchenzo96

Vinchenzo96 New Member

Thats a kick * suit, great job

40. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Yes, do that. BTW, You look GREAT!!!
    You would be a great addition over at the BOTB..

41. Fly4v

Fly4v Sr Member

Great job on the suit and excellent design for the helmet.
    Thank you for the pictures showing how to make the mold.

42. tauriice

tauriice Well-Known Member

Great costume! I love the purple accents you added, very nice. I'm helping my friend plan and build Batgirl and Nightwing costumes, so this is very helpful.

43. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Boy, how many people were at that convention? It looks a little bleak behind you. :lol
    Nice suit. :thumbsup

44. NCWildhorse

NCWildhorse New Member

nice work!

45. Blown Z06

Blown Z06 New Member

That is a real nice costume.

46. BoosterGoldstar

BoosterGoldstar Active Member

WEll done. great costume.