'Stelter Creative' Fertility Idol (RAIDERS of the LOST ARK)

Adam C.

Sr Member
I am SUPER excited right now! We all have those few, special, elusive 'white whale' type of props in our lives. The one that we've always wanted, yet never seemed to find. Well, I've been a huge 'RAIDERS of the LOST ARK' fan ever since I was 11 years old, when I first saw it at the Drive-In Theater way back in 1982. Ever since then I was on the hunt for the perfect Indy fedora, Bullwhip and...that's right...Fertility Idol.

Well, my long quest is now complete. Over the years I've been fortunate enough to track down a Herbert Johnson hat, a David Morgan 10 ft. Bullwhip, (handmade by David Himself before he retired) and now this...a 'Stelter Creative' Idol!

I've owned about 4 different Idol Statues over the years, (including the cool looking but extremely inaccurate 'SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES' version that came out a while back) and I can now finally say...my search is over! Okay. Enough rambling. Here are a couple of quick photos.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: 'Stetler Creative' Fertility Idol (RAIDERS of the LOST ARK)

Are Stetler Creative idols screen accurate and rare?
Is this a different company than Stelter Creative in Pinecastle Florida?

Are Stetler Creative idols screen accurate and rare?
Is this a different company than Stelter Creative in Pinecastle Florida?

Yes. That's them alright. http://www.steltercreativewoodworks.com/STELTER1/Movie_Propsx.html
And I believe that they are kind of rare, in that I believe they stopped making them quite some time ago from what I'd heard. (Although I'm not 100% positive at all.) I was able to score this one on e-Bay.

And as to the matter of their screen-accuracy? Well, I'd say that they're right up there with the 'best of the best' in my opinion. (Here is a Screencap of the actual Idol, versus a picture of the one currently residing in my Prop Cabinet.) I am SUPER stoked right now, man!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ok, I was curious. Jeff Stelter, the owner, comes by my office often and I didn't even realize he made these before.

Ok, I was curious. Jeff Stelter, the owner, comes by my office often and I didn't even realize he made these before.

Really?! Sweet! Maybe you'd have a good opportunity to sort of feel him out personally then. Not sure if you're currently in the market for a Fertility Idol or not, but if you are, (and he's willing to make one for you) I can highly recommend it, based on seeing one up close. As Ferris Bueller so eloquently put it...

image.jpeg

Beautiful. The Idol is the last major Indy prop I need for my collection.

Glad your search for this iconic prop (replica) is now over, Adam
Beautiful piece

Congrats Adam, it's beautiful !

Jeff is a VERY talented artist indeed, but as you say, his items are very rare nowadays. I don't even know if he's making prop replicas at all any more.

I have his Bracelet of Anubis from The Mummy, and it is nothing short of a work of art, as is the Idol you have :thumbsup

Nice score!, and I also think he has retired from the biz

Adam,
That idol is awesome !! Some great pics of your collection as well.

Warmest regards,
Gary

Congrats Adam, it's beautiful !

Jeff is a VERY talented artist indeed, but as you say, his items are very rare nowadays. I don't even know if he's making prop replicas at all any more.

I have his Bracelet of Anubis from The Mummy, and it is nothing short of a work of art, as is the Idol you have :thumbsup

He closed his big prop shop but still does work from his personal shop. He is spending much of his time preparing for the opening of his new bar called "Joysticks". It is a retro 80's arcade themed bar. It is going to rock from the photos I have seen.

http://www.joysticksorlando.com

Plus check out the Facebook photos where they will have movie themed booths and movie props around the bar:
https://m.facebook.com/joysticksorlando

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I really appreciate it! I just got done taking a couple of photos of the Idol this morning along with my Herbert Johnson fedora and David Morgan 10 ft. Bullwhip. The natural light really shows off some of the details and weathering more effectively. The trifecta is now complete! (So...what to obsess over now? Hmmm...) ;)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png

Last edited:

I'm not generally a big fan of this idol sculpt but the pics you've just posted are absolutely sensational...

Great score mate and thanks for sharing..

Regards
Mark

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I really appreciate it! I just got done taking a couple of photos of the Idol this morning along with my Herbert Johnson fedora and David Morgan 10 ft. Bullwhip. The natural light really shows off some of the details and weathering more effectively. The trifecta is now complete! (So...what to obsess over now? Hmmm...) ;)

View attachment 614570 View attachment 614571 View attachment 614577
That is gorgeous. What material is it? I might have to inquire if he will ever make another one.

Congrats! That's one beauty of a piece, not to mention that satisfied feeling while you lean back and stare at your treasure.:thumbsup

Congrats! That's one beauty of a piece, not to mention that satisfied feeling while you lean back and stare at your treasure.:thumbsup

Thank-you, sir! Much appreciated!

That is gorgeous. What material is it?

Thanks, man. You know what? I'm not exactly sure what kind of material it's made from. Believe it or not, my first impression when I held it was that it felt almost 'metallic' sort of. (Definitely not plaster, or plastic, or anything like that.) Maybe one of the RPF 'Idol Experts' can weigh-in with their opinions on what it could be made of. I can tell you that it is very lightweight. In fact, it sort of feels like it's 'hollow' on the inside, (which makes sense I guess because of the glass eyes.) There's black-felt on the bottom of it that feels like it might be covering up an empty hole. (There are definitely no seams anywhere on the top or back of it.) Very solidly constructed though.

I'm not generally a big fan of this idol sculpt but the pics you've just posted are absolutely sensational...

Great score mate and thanks for sharing..

Thanks, Mark. That means a lot coming from you! I've always been a fan of the 'weathered Idol' that you made awhile back. Definitely a work of art!

image.jpeg

My first prop was a gold leafed stetler creative idol. It is a beautiful piece but some of the gold leaf has started to bunch. I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet. Cool to see your piece though.

I would guess it is a vacuum metalized hollow casting. It's a process that deposits a thin layer of aluminum on the plastic, which is then over-coated with a clear yellow/orange to make it look gold.
It's a very clean looking casting. Nice find!

My first prop was a gold leafed stetler creative idol. It is a beautiful piece but some of the gold leaf has started to bunch. I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet.

I wonder if maybe it could be stripped-down somehow, and plated? (I've owned several different Idols, but never had a gold-leaf version before.)

I would guess it is a vacuum metalized hollow casting. It's a process that deposits a thin layer of aluminum on the plastic, which is then over-coated with a clear yellow/orange to make it look gold.

Actually, that sounds like it might be it! It definitely is a very 'solid' feeling statue for being so light-weight. You're probably right.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back