Steel or not to Steel that is the question

Boba Fettish

we've all seen the annotations of the scrounged-up parts to may Obi Wan's light saber. the WWI dummy rifle grenade, the Rolls jet engine part the flash hider of a Browning machinegun.

As I contemplate a couple of builds, I wonder should the "grenade" and flash hider portions be made of steel? I know working in aluminum is so much easier and faster, easier on tooling and such, but for the "hero" versions this would have made them heavier. that rifle grenade was brass and cast iron (and along the designs of our pineapple hand grenade) the flash hider was steel as well. So for correct weighting of the piece, should these be made of steel rather than aluminum?

mind you I'm looking at these builds be static mantle pieces. I'll try electronics and such at a later date once I get to understand fusion 360.

Attachments

• aaron-fowler-lightsaber-parts.jpg
    aaron-fowler-lightsaber-parts.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 117
Just look up Roman Props. He's done all the hard work and makes exact replicas of all the parts and you can get them in different finishes. His are steel so if you want aluminum you'd have to go another route but if you're doing a shelf static prop the weighty feel of steel is the way to go.

Just look up Roman Props. He's done all the hard work and makes exact replicas of all the parts and you can get them in different finishes. His are steel so if you want aluminum you'd have to go another route but if you're doing a shelf static prop the weighty feel of steel is the way to go.
The material is entirely up to you.

I believe that most original pieces are made out steel, except the pommel and i think the clamp and neck, not sure about the ast two

Roman props makes a mostly steel replica of the anh obi-wan, is not 100% accurate.... But, i have it, and i think it worth every penny, at the time of this post is the most accurate replica of that specific version.

I'm making one of each just to try and see what I like.

I am also exploring with several different emitter heads with some slight differences in the inner core "look" I'll post some pics when I get closer to being done.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back