Completed- M41A Pulse Rifle 10-hole Hero :The 18 year build

Based on my “recent” post history it seems I complete a project every 2-3 years, but I think this one may be my longest running. I started this project, I want to say back in 2003-04, I could search through my post history and maybe find some of the old stuff I posted back then. Fortunately, you could still get SPAS parts, at the time, but if I recall even then they were getting scarce, and Humbrol was still making Brown Bess(still have one almost full jar after this too!) Tokyo Marui released their metal AEG Thompson so I knew I had to make this build.

M41A Pulse Rifle 10-Hole variant
View attachment 1612496

One of the original restored props
View attachment 1612497

Using the Bapty photos I created CAD files to make the 10 hole barrel vent and adjustable stock. Sold sets of them to fund the rest of the project. Basically got everything done except the wiring and painting. So. It’s been in a semi complete state ever since. One day builds always take longer than a day right?
View attachment 1612498
View attachment 1612499
View attachment 1612500
View attachment 1612501

Close up of barrel vent
View attachment 1612502

The adjustable stock locks in three positions via a spring loaded bolt that mounts through the receiver of the Thompson and drops into three notches cut into the slide channel on the stock itself. It’s surprisingly secure.

Middle position
View attachment 1612503

Fully extended
View attachment 1612504
Sling attached
View attachment 1612509
A few weeks ago I decided that I was never going to get around to machining my own magainze base or grenade launcher end cap, so I picked those up from SD Studios, to finally complete this build.
View attachment 1612505

I can’t remember who made the cast resin shrouds but I made all the smaller plates and fittings from sheet aluminum. Painted everything Brown Bess, weathered the aluminum parts by beating them up a little and some silver paint here and there for the shrouds. The whole gun was weathered basically with some gun oil and dirty hands grabbing it around the magazine well and carry handle, etc. I finished it off with black and stainless hardware. I feels good to see it the correct color after it being OD green for many years.
View attachment 1612506View attachment 1612507
View attachment 1612638

I’m pretty sure the counter was made by Hyperdyne systems. After sitting so long in various boxes and through multiple moves, the solder joints on the board were a little bad and I wouldn’t light up all the way. Resoldered every connection on the back of the board and I was back in business. The counter counts from 99 to 95 when you insert the magazine, and counts down when the trigger is pulled. I added a magnetic switch in the circuit to activate when inserting the magazine, wired it into the aeg switch to activate when you pull the trigger, then added a micro switch on the side to turn the whole thing off when it’s in my display cabinet. I’ve seen some of the newer systems like blastcore and others that have Pulse Rifle kits, but honestly just wanted to get this one done! It would be nice to add a little sound board inside one day to make it little more lively.

The airsoft gun is not currently wired to function, because this is going to be a static display prop, but it would be easy enough to wire it again for a battery if I ever decided I want to.

Counter and grenade launcher action.
Displayed along side the M40 and M38 grenades and grenade case I made.
View attachment 1612510
Holy cow did you use a real Thompson to build this? And if so I know it couldn't been cheap! This is movie quality work!

NICE!!!
I'm pretty sure I'm one of those original 10 people that got in on your metal vent and stock run! I also used one of the TM Thompsons and MIM kit for the rest, it was from Jose's run that he did way back when....

- Jeff
That looks great! I was cleaning out my shop a few months ago and found the milling jigs used to make both the barrel vent and stock.

Holy cow did you use a real Thompson to build this? And if so I know it couldn't been cheap! This is movie quality work!
I used a Tokyo marui thompson as a base, but honestly it really looks the part. I wish the lower receiver was metal, like the upper is, but there’s enough metal in the build that I don’t really notice that part being plastic anymore.

I used a Tokyo marui thompson as a base, but honestly it really looks the part. I wish the lower receiver was metal, like the upper is, but there’s enough metal in the build that I don’t really notice that part being plastic anymore.
Oh okay They make some really good airsoft rifles, It looks like the real deal! I used to have their M14 rifle.

lol, I always wondered if the MIM shrouds and other parts were recasts of the small run by SD Studios. I think he had made a couple with demilled Thompsons, that came in an awesome travel case, J-hyphen had (has?) one. It all happened at a similar time here on the board. MIM is known for outsourcing their kits - the rocketeer pack and helmet they used to sell were from ACME.
In my head, the MIM/SD and Matsu shourds just look correct. I remember a member who had one in a case and also did awesome wall posters. I met him once on a trip to the Olympia area and got to hold it. That really kick started my PR building gene. Next step is to SBR an 870 and the Thompson. IN the mean time Ill proly get to work an a nice OD green Pelican 1700 case. Oh BTW, if you ever do another run of stocks....Ill take one that is extra thick on the sides. A 20+lb weapon likes to bend the stocks.

lol, I always wondered if the MIM shrouds and other parts were recasts of the small run by SD Studios. I think he had made a couple with demilled Thompsons, that came in an awesome travel case, J-hyphen had (has?) one. It all happened at a similar time here on the board. MIM is known for outsourcing their kits - the rocketeer pack and helmet they used to sell were from ACME.
SD didn't deactivate anything he had matsuo do all that work and charged 5 times what Matt was charging pretty pathetic

Based on my “recent” post history it seems I complete a project every 2-3 years, but I think this one may be my longest running. I started this project, I want to say back in 2003-04, I could search through my post history and maybe find some of the old stuff I posted back then. Fortunately, you could still get SPAS parts, at the time, but if I recall even then they were getting scarce, and Humbrol was still making Brown Bess(still have one almost full jar after this too!) Tokyo Marui released their metal AEG Thompson so I knew I had to make this build.

M41A Pulse Rifle 10-Hole variant
View attachment 1612496

One of the original restored props
View attachment 1612497

Using the Bapty photos I created CAD files to make the 10 hole barrel vent and adjustable stock. Sold sets of them to fund the rest of the project. Basically got everything done except the wiring and painting. So. It’s been in a semi complete state ever since. One day builds always take longer than a day right?
View attachment 1612498
View attachment 1612499
View attachment 1612500
View attachment 1612501

Close up of barrel vent
View attachment 1612502

The adjustable stock locks in three positions via a spring loaded bolt that mounts through the receiver of the Thompson and drops into three notches cut into the slide channel on the stock itself. It’s surprisingly secure.

Middle position
View attachment 1612503

Fully extended
View attachment 1612504
Sling attached
View attachment 1612509
A few weeks ago I decided that I was never going to get around to machining my own magainze base or grenade launcher end cap, so I picked those up from SD Studios, to finally complete this build.
View attachment 1612505

I can’t remember who made the cast resin shrouds but I made all the smaller plates and fittings from sheet aluminum. Painted everything Brown Bess, weathered the aluminum parts by beating them up a little and some silver paint here and there for the shrouds. The whole gun was weathered basically with some gun oil and dirty hands grabbing it around the magazine well and carry handle, etc. I finished it off with black and stainless hardware. I feels good to see it the correct color after it being OD green for many years.
View attachment 1612506View attachment 1612507
View attachment 1612638

I’m pretty sure the counter was made by Hyperdyne systems. After sitting so long in various boxes and through multiple moves, the solder joints on the board were a little bad and I wouldn’t light up all the way. Resoldered every connection on the back of the board and I was back in business. The counter counts from 99 to 95 when you insert the magazine, and counts down when the trigger is pulled. I added a magnetic switch in the circuit to activate when inserting the magazine, wired it into the aeg switch to activate when you pull the trigger, then added a micro switch on the side to turn the whole thing off when it’s in my display cabinet. I’ve seen some of the newer systems like blastcore and others that have Pulse Rifle kits, but honestly just wanted to get this one done! It would be nice to add a little sound board inside one day to make it little more lively.

The airsoft gun is not currently wired to function, because this is going to be a static display prop, but it would be easy enough to wire it again for a battery if I ever decided I want to.

Counter and grenade launcher action.
Displayed along side the M40 and M38 grenades and grenade case I made.
View attachment 1612510
This look awesome, is there a way to get my hands on one by any chance?

Thanks! I am glad to have finally finished after all these years.

Sorry, I only built one complete rifle. I made and offered for sale the stock and barrel vent, many many years ago, but they are long since gone.

dr_slurpee is offering even better parts here in Project Runs, if you’re interested in building your own.

Which of the fully assembled prop replicas of the M41A would you recommend as the “best” one? As in ready to go out of the box?

Other than the very infrequent 2nd hand market, which is of wildly varying mileage, there's really only the airsoft Pulse Rifle that's ready to go, OotB (or the Nerf PR, depending on what you're in to / what you're prepared to overlook).

For best results, build your own, out of a mix real parts, steel replica bits, and 3d printed pieces, seasoned to taste.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back