Starspeeder 3000 Kit ID

joez2391

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello, I was trying to star off my first SS model with the Star Tours fuel tank but unfortunately, the limited amount of refrence caused that project to be put on the backburner for the moment so I decided to tackle the Starspeeder 3000 SS model. Since I am a complete newb when it comes to SS kit IDs I wanted to find as many parts as I could on my own before posting this up, this way I could kind of prove myself to you really talented builders.

Here is what I have so far on the ID's:

Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-image2993-1-984.png

I am only missing two parts, possibly one, from the back end of the Starspeeder.

Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-image3103-6-512.png

I have already ordered most of the kits needed and I will be starting the physical build in one week when I come home from college. Thanks for looking an any help would be great!

This is an awesome project, I've always had a soft spot for the 3000, I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to paint it orange for ST2..but I digress...

I'd be very interested to see what you come up with in building one, so that I can make my own. :)

Last edited:
is it just me, or does the nose of that look like the tail lights from a car

Your talking about the piece in the middle only or the whole nose piece? I never really thought of that as a kit piece but honestly i really think that that is a really strong possibility, especially the smaller thin piece. If not from a car maybe even from the tailights of a truck trailer or something. I drew up what the piece should look like.

Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-path3940-6-1-3-7-4294967048.png

The entire nose piece seems too good to be true, shapewise to be a kit part since it goes with the lines of the rest of the speeder but keep an eye out!

This is an awesome project, I've always had a soft spot for the 3000, I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to paint it orange for ST2..but I digress...

I'd be very interested to see what you come up with in building one, so that I can make my own.

Thanks Spencer, i am really excited to start this project, especially with the opening of STII only a few weeks away! If this turns out as good as im hoping it will, hey you never know, i might even offer a kit of it if enough people are interested :love

I love this buiild. I likewise can't wait to see the end result. How are you going to paint it? Like the original Starspeeder 3000 or one of the six Starspeeder 1000 variants (I think they are the same model)?

That would be AWESOME! I'm looking forward to what you come up with.
This has ALWAYS been my favorite SW ship for some reason...Can't wait to see more!
Thanks guys, I am really glad to see that there is a lot of interest in this project! I am really excited to start this once I get home and will hopefully finish in the middle of the summer if everything goes well.

I love this buiild. I likewise can't wait to see the end result. How are you going to paint it? Like the original Starspeeder 3000 or one of the six Starspeeder 1000 variants (I think they are the same model)?

Thanks SurfingDoc, I am looking foward to the end result as well:lol. Well, that is a very good question, I plan on casting a few of these because I honestly couldn't decide whether to leave it as the 3000 or paint it up as the newer 1000. Since I wanted to keep it true studio scale, I plan on making one of the 3000 completely accurate to the filming miniature, and another as the 1000 with full lighting. The other paint schemes are really interesting too but i would just want to see their significance in the new ride before i decide to do more.

Your talking about the piece in the middle only or the whole nose piece? I never really thought of that as a kit piece but honestly i really think that that is a really strong possibility, especially the smaller thin piece. If not from a car maybe even from the tailights of a truck trailer or something. I drew up what the piece should look like.

Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-path3940-6-1-3-7-4294967048.png

The entire nose piece seems too good to be true, shapewise to be a kit part since it goes with the lines of the rest of the speeder but keep an eye out!

to me it looks like a rear tail light assembly, with the red tinted plastic piece not put in... but the piece that would hold it in place or hold the trim in place is plugged into the spot

that and it looks like it's a separate part on the pic above
the nose is wayyyy whiter than the rest of the ship

take a look at a 70 ford galaxy rear end... that's not the car, but it looks really similiar
then take the bumper off and flip it upside down...
849308782_9bdad86736.jpg

or even an old Lamborghini
Lamborghini-Countach-LP400_3.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting, it seems like the year of choice is a car from the early 70s or late 60s. I have been trying to research cars from that era for the past week but have come up dry everytime. But, today I stumbled upon something that looked like a much closer match than anything else, and had a kit produced of it by AMT, what do you guys think?

Its an AMT 66 Olds 442

If not this than at least its getting much closer

take a look at large scale LeMans car models
something in a 1/18th

I was looking through some sites and found this
The pic is from a 1/43 model
430781101-2.jpg

which kind of leads me to believe Tamaya would be the best place to start looking

and this
44290-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have looked at making a Starspeeder, but in 1/6 scale. Would be quite a challange but fun build.
That would be huge, but I would still love to see that! I wish I had room for that, even this 1/24th Starspeeder is big enough as it is!

take a look at large scale LeMans car models
something in a 1/18th

Very cool, since i don't have any familiarity with model cars I was looking at 1/25th models since i didnt know their sizes, doh. I threw a picture up on scaleauto.com so hopefully some auto masters will be able to help. oh I made another ID also, the two fuel tanks on the side of the speeder are from a Hasegawa Karl. I also recieved the Tamiya Ferrari 312T3 and checked the sizes. More Updates later

you wouldn't happen to know when they shot the footage for the ride? knowing what years are too late would narrow down the search considerably

PS, I was also thinking that piece right in front of the window looks like a kit part as well

Well the film was released at Disneyland in January in 1987, so that would have to date this model to be built in 1985-1986ish. Which means that there is at least a three year gap between ROTJ and Star Tours...that leaves a lot of room for new kit releases that possibly have not yet been IDd on a Star Wars vehicle before.

Re: Starspeeder 3000 Kit ID and BUILD

Yes, anything post 1987 is definately out of the question, just wanted to post a quick update just so you know this project isn't fizzleing out :). I started constructing the skeletal framework so i could get the basic shapes and then build up the styrene details on top of the frame. It is very rough right now but all of that will be covered up with styrene anyways.
DSC06747.jpg

DSC06749.jpg

On a side note I also made the front of the Starspeeder detachable from the main body as it will be much easier to cast the body in two main parts to allow for all of the details to not be lost. I drilled out four matching holes for a pin and hole alignment system so the front nose will fit snug into the main body.

DSC06748.jpg

Been working on the detail work in styrene plateing but I have to wait for some more to come in to continue...will post pics very soon. We have ID'd most of the kit parts and I havent had any luck finding the front piece unfortunately, but besides that I just need a little help on the last two pieces.

One part I need help IDing is the four engine thrusters, they are all the same kit part but just repeated four times:
Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-g4235-2-4294966832-1.png

and the other part is found on the laser blaster:
Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-g3905-3-4294966384-1.png

Just a quick bump for help IDing the engine donors, I cant seem to find the donor kit for these, once I find them it'll kick me in high gear continuing this project, once I get some darn styrene:wacko

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back