Starspeeder 3000 Kit ID

The nose piece does in fact look like the tail from a Revell Lamborghini Countach LP5000. It appears that a strip of styrene is faced over the middle where the lenses would normally go. For the Tirpitz turret, you can also use the Bismark kit - same sprues. If you have trouble finding one - the Revell Bismark kit will also work - same scale.

J

Thanks for the reply, I just checked out the revell 1/350th bismarck kit over on the evilbay and its surprisingly more expensive than the tamiya bismark and tirpitz, who would've thought! I think ill stick with tamiya :lol. The lamborghini tail just doesnt seem to match up correctly, it is too sloped on the outer parts of the taillight, the one on the starspeeder is almost parallel top and bottom. Worst comes to worse I'll just scratchbuild it, which seems like a much easier thing at this point in the build. The only other part that I am concerned with are these darn things

Star_Tours_Starspeeder_Kit_IDsvg-g4235-2-4294966832-1.png

I can't seem to find this donor kit anywhere (those are just different views of the same kit part, by the way)

Hi Joe!

Alex Newborn here, from EndorExpress.net! Sorry to see that the fuel tanker has been backburnered, but it's VERY exciting to see what you've identified on the SS3K, a ship I have long desired.

Just to add some nuggets of info into the mix... the original filming model was built by Ira Keeler. I interviewed him via telephone a few years back for my Star Tours retrospective in Star Wars Insider, and we talked about him building this model. He said it was made of wood and was about eighteen inches long. It was painted by Steve Gawley and Mike Fulmer.

Speaking of the fuel truck scene, Ira was the actual cameo ducking down under his desk at the end of the ride, not George Lucas as the persistent urban myth has it. And Steve was of course Red Leader in the original Star Tours. I talked to him too, and they were both just a delight to chat with.

[And speaking of the various ILM employees with cameos in the original Star Tours, I also interviewed Dennis Muren, Sel Eddy,and Claudia Mullaly, who were rear-projected into a building in the hangar that the SS3K nearly crashes into. You could barely see them ducking down behind the windows, just before the cameo by the Mighty Microscope.]

As for the various models of the ship, I've also spoken with a freelance artist named JR (Ron) Dickson who had to re-create the StarSpeeder 3000 in 1/20th miniature for the Tokyo version's architectural model.

ss3k%20mockups%20by%20dickson%201-20th%20scale.jpg

He too used wood, specifically maple because he said it can be machined to a great finish, although added that today's urethane modeling boards would also work. He made the guns from brass wire with acrylic boxes, and other such "nernies".

You do know that Disney is FINALLY making a StarSpeeder toy, right? It will be the 1000 paint scheme (drat) instead of the blue and white 3000, but I've seen some prototype pics where the toy was molded in white, and drooled all over my keyboard wishing that was how it would be produced.

I forget the exact length, but it will be right around the 18" long size, and will be sold only at the Disney Parks, with a price tag of about $55 at last report. I expected it to be much higher, though, so for that price I will happily buy two and paint one white and blue.

I think they said it was pushed back until the fall, so it should hopefully start showing up fairly soon!

Alex

Last edited:
That is honestly some really awesome info, oh man! It makes sense that it was made out of wood. the toughest part of the starspeeder are those complicated little corners above the doors and under them that have a slight step to them. It looked like something requireing a giant chunk of wood cnc'd out. My original plan was to plate it all in styrene but there werer too many corners to it and would have been wayyy too complicated to plate it all by hand, especially since i do not have access to a vacuform table. At this point im just going to wait and see about the new starspeeder, then adding the correct kit parts to it, or maybe even offer an upgrade kit :love since i have all of the decals drawn up and all of the donor parts so far for the back end (except for the four engine parts...tricky tricky little guys they are). This may be the easiest and least time consuming way to get a studio accurate SS without spending a year plating it with individual pieces of styrene. I guess we'll just have to play the waiting game until they are released, when you find out let me know what you think of it and if its worth the $55 i will definately be investing in it.

At this point im just going to wait and see about the new starspeeder, then adding the correct kit parts to it, or maybe even offer an upgrade kit since i have all of the decals drawn up and all of the donor parts so far for the back end (except for the four engine parts...tricky tricky little guys they are). This may be the easiest and least time consuming way to get a studio accurate SS without spending a year plating it with individual pieces of styrene. I guess we'll just have to play the waiting game until they are released, when you find out let me know what you think of it and if its worth the $55 i will definately be investing in it.

I made an inquiry with Disney Parks Merchandise about the status of this toy. The StarSpeeder 1000 toy/playset has been pushed back closer to the holidays.

Frustrating, I know, but I have faith that it will be well worth the extra wait. I've seen several progress pics and watched little things that silently bugged me disappear and be corrected. I've also learned some more of the 'play' features, and trust me, they're only postponing it so they can make it even better.

I've planned all along to buy two so I could customize one to the blue-and-white deco. I'll definitely be interested in your kit pieces and decals when that time comes....

Especially the M16 Multiple Gun Motor Carriage!

I've also got a plan to replace the shorter SS1K laser cannons with the barrels of two Phantom Menace "Flash Cannons", because that particular toy had the entire barrel light up red, very reminiscent of the SS3K's barrels in the queue at Orlando.

Alex

oh boy, I am going to wdw at the end of november so I hope disney can get it out before then! I most likely wouldnt buy it before then anyways so I say let them get everything right so we dont get a repeat of those ugly, unproportional toys that came out for the 3000 and 1000 preview vehicles. The funny thing is that the smaller pull back toy was much more accurate than the larger scale one!

I am really looking foward to this as it will save a lot of time and money as long as it is 18" (crosses fingers) What better than to have the main body work done and just add the greeblies to it and an accurate paint scheme? Seems like a good deal to me! Ahh forget what I said earlier, disney hurry up I want to start modding this bad boy:love

It seems to me that 18" is pretty small. The one I built for my diorama for Star Wars Celebration IV is 21l x 8w. That's the right size to fit a proper R2-D2. I hope the builders of the Starspeeder 1000 don't skimp on this detail. Or am I mistaken and that 18" means 1:18 scale?

No, 18'' means 18 inches, the diorama that you built was most likely scaled towards the action figure R2-D2, which measures in at 1:18th scale. this has nothing to do with the length of the ship, its just ironic that the ship is 18" long and the figures are 1:18th scale. This would mean that the new toy coming out, is actually studio scale as long as it is 18inches long and the only difference would be the size of the R2 hole.

The original filming miniatures made by ilm used R2-D2 model pieces that measured in at 1:24th scale on most of the studio pieces, such as most of the x wings, y wings, etc. the 1:24th scale was denoted by the 1:24th scale harrier pilot that was used for the body on a lot of the models.
This Starspeeder was also 1:24th scale and did not use the R2 toy on the filming miniature. If you think about it, it would not make sense because Star Tours was filmed around 1986, which means that if they were to use a toy, it would have been the vintage R2 because the more accurate R2 did not come out until the early 90s, way after Star Tours was opened. Take a look at the Refrence pics at the beginning of this thread and youll see the difference.

Thank you joez2391 for the clarification. That being the case, I think I will continue to build my 1:18 scale Starspeeder...but no doubt will still purchase the upcoming one from Disneyland:rolleyes

No problem! I can see how that would get confusing...im glad in a way that disney got the size exact to the studio scale, im just hoping the doors wont be scaled to the 1:18th figures though, that wont be as simple to change as the R2 slot

Used to be my favorite ride at MGM.

Have you been on the new one yet? I hate to say it but its actually a million times better than the original imo...I really loved the story line of the old one and it will always have a special place in my heart, but the new 3d tech and switching planets really make the experience so much more exciting.

Just wanted to give a bump with a preview picture of the new starspeeder toy, its said to hit around December. I know its a really low quality pic, but it seems really close to the studio used model. The angles of the windshield look to be spot on and the doors seem to be in scale with the rest of the ship. So I think we might be looking at the closest thing to a corect studio scale replica. Im sure that there will be errors found but this is going to be a great jumping off point.

starspeeder1000toypreview.jpg

The Starspeeder 1000 Vehicle Playset

Just wanted to bump this, disney blog just posted new pics of the starspeeder 100 toy. its evidently taken off the specs of the original model used for filming. Im actually pretty impressed with how it looks. wont be coming out until the end of december though

Now the only question is should I wait for them to release the 3000 or buy a can of spraypaint and make my own?

I say grab one while you can and upgrade it yourself if you get the change, you will definately appriciate it more if you convert it to a 3000, thats what I plan on doing...if i can get my hands on one that is!:rolleyes It definately is a great base for a nice Studio scale SS3000 build up.

I don't know if there is still any interest in this, but I was looking through the "Star Wars Chronicles" book and came across the Starspeeder photos, recognized a part, and remembered this thread. The part is located on either side of the top rear module, it is a lighted anti-tamper push button switch.

A smaller version may be located on the front corners, but I did not search for it.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back