Starship Troopers - M3 Tactical Helmet Replica

626AM

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Starting down the road of a new project and wanted to share it here.

I have always loved Starship Troopers but wanted an idealized helmet. Today I 3D scanned a screen-used helmet and plan to use that for reference to model a new helmet that is "perfect." It is going to be a bit tough because a lot of the beauty of the originals is their asymmetry and irregular surfaces (from the days before everything was 3D printed). I hope to find a happy in-between that isn't too cold and heartless, but that is more precise as if they were made by a manufacturer. We will see how it goes.

Here are pics of the base scan I will be using as a guide.

starship-trooper-helmet-3d-scan-front.jpg

starship-trooper-helmet-3d-scan-angle.jpg

starship-trooper-helmet-3d-scan-back.jpg

Any Progress?

Not much to report on the digital side yet. The scan is in the hands of a very good modeler and he is hard at work on it. In the meantime, I have been tracking down the various found items. Those ears vents are tough! Hope to have something to report near the end of next month.

The original found part used for the ear inserts is tough to get and the manufacturer wants to sell with an MOQ of 1000, and only through a distributor. It took me a while, but I finally found a part that is extremely close and I was able to order in a more reasonable quantity!

starship-troopers-ear-inserts.jpg

Found part info:

The screw and nut that hold the cheek to the helmet is a black oxide buttonhead screw that is 8-32 x 3/4"long and a low-profile binding barrel that is 8-32 x 1" long.

The snap on the chin strap is a 3/4" socket buckle (usually associate with football helmets). The snap that this connects to is found two ways on the helmet; one way the back of the snap is cast into the cheek, the other way uses a black anodized low-profile binding barrel that is 8-32 x 1/4" long. It goes all the way through the cheek. The male snap with a screw in it (also 8-32) can also be found with football helmet supplies.

Do you sell sone i would take 6 of them

Can I get some too? Would love to get a finished helmet:)

Per your request, we now have ear covers available for sale:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back