Stargate SG1 - how the gate works question

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was watching an older episode of SG1 where O'Neill has the Ancient computer downloaded into his head. So Carter and Teal'c go through to another planet to try to find help for him and they can't dial out. So Stargate Command dials them and talks to them, but they can't come through unless they dial in. So was the gate always a "one way street" or was it changed later on and in the other series? I always assumed that if the gates were connected you could travel in either direction.

Gate travel was supposed to be one way, that is if you stepped through in the wrong direction you'd be disintegrated and destroyed. That was my understanding. Electromagnetic waves can travel in both directions though, which is why radio works.

Stargate travel, from the Movie/beginning of SG-1 right through to the end of Universe has always only been one way, it was never changed. Radio signals can go through both ways hence why they're always able to talk to each other from either side. I can't remember if that part was ever actually explained though.

I just found this nice little video on youtube showing a heap of cut together clips with information shown on screen explaining various parts of how the gate works: Stargate SG-1 - Wormhole Physics 101

Mostly it's just used for plot complications.

"It's a colossal negative space wedgie of great power coming right at us at warp factor 7."

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back