STARGATE RA Pendant: Revisted

BrundelFly

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
One of the most coveted props from STARGATE (the film) is the Ra Pendant. Like much of the artwork and jewelry, the craftsmanship that went into production was really impressive.

Years ago, when I was buying much of my collection from one of the FX guys, I asked about the pendant. He explained, two were made for production, he believed the art director kept one, which ended with his ex-wife, and the other, he had no idea.
Later I was told by my sister, that Roland gave his sister, Ute Emmerich, the other pendant. Needless to say, they will never be seen again.

Ofcourse, that didnt stop us on the RPF. There have been some really nice versions of it, the one offered recently is probably the most accurate. It looks WAY better than any I have seen, including the one made for SG1, which I thought was just horrible.

However, despite these great efforts, I was still wanting something different.

My feelings were, there should be consistency in the design. If you notice, the Large RA EYE in NAGA CITY, there is alot of detail.

sgm802.jpg

The Gilder RA eye (see below), is very similar to the Larger Eye that hangs in the village. Other reference I have from the film from the set design items, refelct the same level of detail.

gliderra.jpg

So, with that being the case, I wanted my pendant to refect the same level of detail and design consistency. Also, because I love the Glider's so much, and it was a friend of mine who actually carved that version of Ra Eye into the glider, I wanted a connection to it.

While CNC and CAD stuff is wonderful, its too perfect for me. I wanted something, that looks like it was carved by hand, in the desert with crappy tools a long time ago. The perfection to me, was the imperfection. It becomes unique by default.

So, determined to make my own unique pendant version, I based it on the 8 foot glider. In fact, its molded directly off the master for the glider's (thanks Randy Cooper!)

It might not be quite film accurate, but it has lineage to the film, and in my minds eye, to me, this is what it SHOULD have looked like.

I molded it with a SILPAK product that Shinks 10%. Took about half a dozen castings, but once I got it to the right size, I glues two halves together, and added the edge and the Bahli bead.

I molded it, and took it to jeweler, as I wanted it to be of some sort of precious metal, not just plated resin as I also wanted it to have some heft.

I'm not rich, so solid gold, or even Hallow gold would be great but I can't afford that. Maybe if I win the lotto someday.

I decided, solid pure silver, plated in 18k gold.

The Egyption actually plated most of their gold artwork. A misconception, is that the gold treasure seen in my a tomb are solid, most are carved out of wood, and plated with gold leaf.

So the Plated version, to me was still "authentic-ish".

Here is a picture of the result. Hope you like it as I am very happy with it. Will I be doing a run? probably not any time soon. I doubt anyone would want someone's unique interpretation of it anyway. I do want to make a nice necklace for it eventually.

Thanks for looking!

pendanta.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks man! I appreciate that!!

I just looked up some beads on EBAY so I should have it on a semi accurate necklace shortly.

Then...my wife will steal it. Just like she did my MIB Orion's Galaxy Necklace.

Last edited:
As usual that you come out with beautiful pieces and even better that, as cheech said, it has some connection to screen used/production lineage.

I bet shrinking it with the Silpak molding was a pain but well worth it!

It went quicker than I thought.

Another project...is to take the HORIZON model..and mold/shrink it so it's 1/6 scale vice 1/5.

Then put it on a 12 inch Figure. Geeky I know.

Thanks Everyone!

SILPAK RS 1027 Make sure you get the Rapid set with it, if you need the silicone to set up quickly. I think they recommend it, but I have used the RTV without the Rapid set and it worked fine.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back