Star Wars VII Soccer Ball Droid

I was thinking of an R2 head that balances on top of the body and had some kind of mechanical (or likely energy based as per the Star Wars universe) motor(s) to move on the ball.

To get what we have in the film, we just have to shrink what Ufactory did in this Instructables.

Qpne5_.gif

Check it out here: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-Ball-Balancing-Robot/

Last edited:
It's just occurred to me, I reckon that the head is held on by electromagnets. In the Star Wars universe they're called "repulsor lifts"
but you can essentially get the same effect by wiring up two electromagnets of the same charges. Negative in the body and negative in the head, (or positive depending who you ask) This creates a constant field of magnetism that will keep the head afloat, or appear to be floating rather than being stuck flat to the body. That's my guess anyway

I mentioned it above too no one seemed to notice lol
right you are Grenater, you mentioned it in the first page. Sorry to miss that.

@ Mattonymy: the electromagnets would have to be inside the casing at a fixed location to keep the head fixed, inside the ball the electronics are not rotating, only the outter shell moves. have I cleared it up? or made it worse? :p

The head should be easy enough to make, also remember there will be some sort of legs because when it stops rolling it would tip over, just saying

BruceKenobi I assume you mean something like Sidewinder's concept right?
View attachment 410314

However, forgive me, but I'm still not convinced this is technically feasible. I can see something like this achieving somewhat a rudimentary balancing act- like those 3 axis research robots- but I feel this design lends itself to more issues than it solves. For one, the upper mag is still connected to the ball's surface, which would mean that either the magnets would have to be strong enough to keep the head fixed in a stable position while the ball is spinning yet weak enough that it doesn't interfere with a rotating surface. These two variables would be in constant opposition to each other and depending on the speed of which the ball is expected to rotate, would constantly be throwing off the magnetic attraction.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'd like to see a working example of it being achieved so I can understand it better. I may compile a document later today that discusses the available types of ball balancing robots as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Wars is fantasy not science fiction. Always has been. You want technobabble, head over to the Trek forums. When I saw Star Wars back in '77, I saw a whole bunch of things that just did not seem possible, but that is what I loved about it. I like Star Wars because it is visually stimulating with things that I never saw before. Are AT-ATs the best all terrain type of transport? It can be argued that is is quite impractical but we love them. You can go on and on but that is ok because this is Star Wars. If you are a true fan, it is your job to believe it is possible and if you don't know why, it is simply because it is a science or technology we do not understand. It has to be possible... because there it is.

I thought we were going by "What can be achieved through home garage building and tech shop laser cutting and milling"- what is actually achievable to build with current technology standards and not "Star Wars Physics".

Yes, Star Wars is fantasy but in the concepts that it proposes is an existence of real scientific principles. If we're not going to explain how they might be done realistically, for prop building and astromech creating, then we might as well chalk it up to "Micro Repulsorlift" technology and be done.

Seeing the trailer brought to mind something I'd wanted to tinker with for a while now, and this droid might be the opportunity to do it. The basic idea came from an old xkcd comic about a robot pet: http://xkcd.com/413/

The omni wheels he mentions, if anyone isn't familiar with them, have rollers all around the edges so that they can move in four directions with very little friction; I think this would be a decent drive train to at least experiment with. If the center of mass is kept very low, it ought to balance itself; obviously the webcam would be replaced with a head and the Eee PC with something more suitable to RC (and less suitable to blogging). The only major question I see is whether or not the magnets would, as some have mentioned, cause the head to "stick"; this would be something to investigate.

Star Wars is fantasy not science fiction. Always has been. You want technobabble, head over to the Trek forums. When I saw Star Wars back in '77, I saw a whole bunch of things that just did not seem possible, but that is what I loved about it. I like Star Wars because it is visually stimulating with things that I never saw before. Are AT-ATs the best all terrain type of transport? It can be argued that is is quite impractical but we love them. You can go on and on but that is ok because this is Star Wars. If you are a true fan, it is your job to believe it is possible and if you don't know why, it is simply because it is a science or technology we do not understand. It has to be possible... because there it is.

Agreed totally. I always giggle a bit when I hear someone try to argue how "impractical" something is in a SW movie. It works...because it does.

If the body is a ball, the head would have to fly. You could make the head like a drone with a single fan with control surfaces under it to control its motion.
Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RK_rl6oXfo . There are several other similar projects.
Very noisy and very short time it could stand.

A bouncing head does not contradict mechanical linkage between two hemispherical wheels.
If you have a large wheel, then you would also want some shock-absorbers - and those would allow the sphere to move up and down a little bit relative to the centre of mass.

I see a big issue with hemispherical wheels: the contact points with the ground are very close together.
While you could compensate with active electronics against falling forwards and backwards (like a Segway does), that wouldn't compensate for the ball rolling sideways.
Also, it would be difficult to turn by driving the wheels at different speeds (like a tank, Segway and R2 units).
With solid hemispheres you would be better to build them like a unicycle ... and I can see two ways to keep the balance and turn:
1. You do like a unicyclist and wave weighted arms around inside the sphere to keep the balance and turn the ball.
2. You make the machine a gyroscope, spin a large heavy wheel inside, and you turn by jumping or not at all.
Either would be very complex though and the droid could stand up only for as long as the battery lasts - but longer than if the head flew.

The easiest solution I can see, is to not have hard hemispheres but to make them out of rubber. Inside the hemispheres would be a segway-like robot that uses wheels at a reasonable distance apart.
The rubber hemispheres would flatten where the wheels touch the ground through the rubber skin. You would also want some way to stretch the rubber back into a sphere everywhere else. If the wheels would have tires then you wouldn't need additional shock-absorbers.

Last edited:
RO-T8...priceless. See, Rancor, Darth "Sidious" or General "Grievous" are stupid. RO-T8 is CUTE...and stupid. Bringing something new to the Star Wars tradition :lol

He'll always be Wilson to me.

well, the latest tweet has an image with profanity (Mother F... ) in it so now its not looking so legit. :( if it was Lucasfilm/Disney associated that meme wouldn't fly. oh well.

Someone actually built one based on the robot plans- no camera but still movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e15tT7Pnl9s&list=PLEF22989D06E75C39

The only problem I see with that is the little thing inside the ball that is making it move is also moving back and forth and even at one point around in a circle. While if the point was just to move the ball that is not a problem but in the case of this droid you want to some how attach a head to it, it would instantly knock the head off.

Again I think we all agree in the Star Wars world this works by magic or something, this thread is trying to figure out how to build one in our world.

Again I think we all agree in the Star Wars world this works by magic or something, this thread is trying to figure out how to build one in our world.

This is my opinion in a nutshell.

So far, the most technologically feasible way I see about creating this is using either hemispherical wheels or having a Sphero-like structure inside a wider ball of which the Astromech's head is attached.

For those wondering what Sphero looks like inside, Grant Imahara took one apart

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure it just cannot be done, getting the ball to work is the easy bit no question, but attaching a head... it seems impossible to me in our universe i'm afraid.
That's why there is a better universe in a galaxy far away :)

What do you mean you can't get a universe in a galaxy.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back