Star Wars VII Soccer Ball Droid

And I've already started modding . . .

bb8spheroup1.jpg

bb8spheroup2.jpg

bb8spheroup3.jpg

Love this little guy!

The graphics seem to be almost impregnated into the plastic. Very secure. No problems with ripping. It was no easy task getting the head off though. I ended up having to cut into it with a jeweler's saw. I was thinking about maybe offering an electronics upgrade kit for those up to the task. But I'll see how that goes once I get finished with this one.

Those lights are awesome! I'd be interested in a kit too.

I've been considering buying the Hasbro one too, molding and recasting the ball out of urethane rubber, and modifying the insides to work with a proper RC controller and go at ludicrous speeds. I just have a mental image of a BB-8 flying down the street at 15mph that's hilarious to me.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew where I could buy one? its my sons birthday on the 22nd Sept and I want to get him one there sold out everywhere, checked all the online stores including http://store.sphero.com/products/bb-8-by-sphero and http://www.buybb8droid.com/ but nothing until oct! If you know where please let me know.

craigslist there are tons of them there, certainly not for retail price but maybe you can work out a price with a seller there.

djyodamaster, try best buy or bed bath and beyond in your area. I got mine from Bed bath and beyond via mail order, but I see they are both sold out online. BBB says they will expect more on the 5th of Oct. Your best bet to get this done may be to contact this place and see if they will ship to you: http://toystoresdenver.com/ Sphero supposedly doesn't manufacture in large enough quantities to sell to Wal-mart, Target, etc. but this toy store is in Colorado and has been a supporter of Sphero from the start. I read an article that said they had tons of them left over after Force Friday because no one expected them to have gotten stock.

Good luck.

Hey guys, I work at a cinema and we received a fibreglass BB-8 for display today.

I know the Target display one was out of proportion, so I took a couple of quick measurements.

The dome on this one has a circumference of 900mm and the ball is 1560mm so it roughly works out to diameters of 287mm and 500mm respectively.

Is there any other known measurements I can use to see how accurate this one is?

I realise at this point any measurements from this display will need to be taken with a grain of salt, but are there any specific measurements anyone would like to see?

I'll be heading back in the morning with a tape measure, set of calipers and better camera.

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3.JPG

In case anyone is interested, Here is a video released with some good closeups of the movie prop.
Downloading this video and grabbing some screens may be good for photo-matching digital creations for a build.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back