Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Well, TLJ did $1.3billion. TFA did $2billion and historically 3rd film in a trilogy usually outperforms the 2nd (not the first though) so it's not that unlikely TRoS earns close to endgame, although endgame is still in theaters and that's only opening weekend lol... but most importantly money is not the only measure of success.....

That's why they keep making transformer movies. They make a lot of money even though they aren't any good.

Is money a measure of success? Sure. Though it's not always an indicator of quality. I'm certain 9 will do record numbers but it's doesn't necessarily mean the film will be good.

Last edited:
The full trailer may well determine how much money it'll make initially. The Rey saber and Kylo's helmet at least symbolically seem to suggest JJ is fixing everything Riann broke. If the full trailer suggests more of the same, it may alleviate some of the ill will generated by TLJ. Maybe...

Episode 9 will make loads of money no doubt. 1.2 billion worldwide? I highly doubt it. As a huge lifelong Star Wars fan, I can’t confidently say that would ever happen.

Over it's whole run, it most likely will. It won't remotely touch it opening weekend though.

I really do hope that this film will be good,....but I really don't think it will,....they don't understand what made the source material so appealing,...the closest film I saw that had a Star Wars vibe was Guardians of the Galaxy,......get James Gunn to direct a spin off

J

Episode 9 will make loads of money no doubt. 1.2 billion worldwide? I highly doubt it. As a huge lifelong Star Wars fan, I can’t confidently say that would ever happen.

Agree 100%, Disney wishes Star Wars was cranking in those numbers.. all that they have done is the opposite

I really do hope that this film will be good,....but I really don't think it will,....they don't understand what made the source material so appealing,...the closest film I saw that had a Star Wars vibe was Guardians of the Galaxy,......get James Gunn to direct a spin off

J

Agree, though I’d add TFA and Rogue One as far as a Star Wars vibe goes...imho
Almost forgot, what little I’ve seen of the Mandalorian ..., that just oozes SW !:love:

Last edited:
Is speculation allowed in this thread?

I am really afraid those who disliked TLJ will really dislike TROS as I have a terrible hunch wherein JJ, in an attempt to fix the saga and ST situation of having no reasonably powerful villain, has thrown us off the scent by attaching Sidious’ laugh at the end of the teaser, while the truth has already been plainly revealed in the finally released title for Episode IX...

...thus, I think, further destroying the history set in the OT and further denigrating and devaluing the character of Luke and his paramount accomplishment. Will it suck if the Skywalker that is Rising in the title ends up somehow being Anakin, but as the end all be all villain to Star Wars?

Is speculation allowed in this thread?

I am really afraid those who disliked TLJ will really dislike TROS as I have a terrible hunch wherein JJ, in an attempt to fix the saga and ST situation of having no reasonably powerful villain, has thrown us off the scent by attaching Sidious’ laugh at the end of the teaser, while the truth has already been plainly revealed in the finally released title for Episode IX...

...thus, I think, further destroying the history set in the OT and further denigrating and devaluing the character of Luke and his paramount accomplishment. Will it suck if the Skywalker that is Rising in the title ends up somehow being Anakin, but as the end all be all villain to Star Wars?

That’s my biggest fear Andy... if Pap’s is back.. that has totally devalued the whole skywalker story..

Anakins legacy was to destroy the sith.. which we think was false because he turns to the dark, but in the end redeems himself and does fulfill the prophecy by destroying the sith (which may have been the universes plan from day one)

Bring back the pap’s and none of the OT has any strength or meaning.. all a waste, just like the ST, a waste of perfectly “missed opportunities”

I can not believe I just don’t give a damn about new Star Wars anymore.. maybe because of the total disappointment of ep8?

But again that could be my fault. My buddy claims it’s because i over hyped ep8... I didn’t overhype ep8, I used it to escape. I was at a VERY low point in my life, and I used ep8 to escape and forget how terrible things were

Bought every book, every comic, became a huge new canon nut

When I left the theater I was sad.. and I will tell ya I was 33 at the time.. I went to bed that night weeping on my pillow in disappointment because I knew the ST was screwed.. totally given up on it now, and look at the ST as a parody movie.. about as serious as the Scary Movie trilogy

IMG_9234.jpg

Anakins legacy was to destroy the sith.. which we think was false because he turns to the dark, but in the end redeems himself and does fulfill the prophecy by destroying the sith (which may have been the universes plan from day one)

Bring back the pap’s and none of the OT has any strength or meaning.. all a waste, just like the ST, a waste of perfectly “missed opportunities”

View attachment 1014732

It helps me to feel better knowing that what we're seeing isn't what really happened. It's so easy for me to jettison it from canon because it has as much validity as a fan film. It's an easy line for me; Lucas/After Lucas. It's just like how Michael Jackson bought publishing rights for the Lennon/McCartney catalog. Doesn't mean he could write Beatles songs after claiming them.

I doubt cyanide will be called for; 9 will make it's money back and then some. And most of us and everyone else that sees it will enjoy it.

But if people really think that episode 9 is going to outdo The last Avengers movie, in a nearly 100% successful, 20+ film, 11 year epic fest of super heroes, then they're kidding themselves.

Imagine how much more it would have made if not for franchise fatigue!

That’s my biggest fear Andy... if Pap’s is back.. that has totally devalued the whole skywalker story..

I can not believe I just don’t give a damn about new Star Wars anymore.. maybe because of the total disappointment of ep8?

But again that could be my fault. My buddy claims it’s because i over hyped ep8... I didn’t overhype ep8, I used it to escape. I was at a VERY low point in my life, and I used ep8 to escape and forget how terrible things were

Bought every book, every comic, became a huge new canon nut

When I left the theater I was sad.. and I will tell ya I was 33 at the time.. I went to bed that night weeping on my pillow in disappointment because I knew the ST was screwed.. totally given up on it now, and look at the ST as a parody movie.. about as serious as the Scary Movie trilogy

View attachment 1014732
The new novel 'Master and Apprentice' has finally given us the whole prophecy.

It's interesting to note that there is no mention of the Sith. Misread the prophecy could have been? Either way I don't think this undermines what Anakin did. He still brought balance. He still destroyed the order of Sith Lords when he destroyed Vader and Sidious. The problem is, Anakin died. Because of this, the balance was temporary.

Either way you slice it, I have a feeling we are going to revisit prophecy of the Chosen One again. It makes sense as the story comes full circle, back to The Phantom Menace.

It's also interesting to note that John Boyega came to JJ, telling him that Palpatine couldn't return. And that it messes up things. But JJ talked to John and whatever he said changed his mind.

I thought the prophecy according to the PT was that he would "bring balance to the Force". If so he did it in ROTS by destroying the Jedi order and reducing them down to two remaining Jedi and two remaining Sith.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back