Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Bloodlines focal point, as I understand it, was the revelation that Leia was Darth Vaders daughter. I never read the book, I shouldn't have to just to understand plot points in the movies. That, or so I thought, was something Disney also understood. Which is why I pooed on the idea that DJ was Ezra, or that Ezra, Ahsoka, or any cartoon character would play a role in the trilogy. I shouldn't have to watch 5 seasons of the clone wars to know Ahsoka and her story, just because they stick her in a movie. Of course, I did watch the shows, but most people won't or didn't.

Explain the plot points on screen. To do anything less is a failure. Episode IX has to do that for the trilogy to even remotely be a success.

In fairness, very little has leaked about this , but given how much of an impact the very vocal dislike for "TLJ" has generated on social media they were always going to be very careful with this, less it all spin totally out of control again.

Disney spent billions on this franchise, they really have no wish to destroy it given what they have invested outside of the films in theme parks , a new TV series etc. And some poor choices were made that alienated a lot of the core fans (including me) whilst winning over a very much smaller percentage of new ones.

So it appears they are in strict damage control and media lockdown and that means no feeding the fire of fan ire until they are really ready to put it out by reassuring us they have done the best they can to get it all back on track.

And that's by making it work for all of us again.

So do we need a trailer this early??????

I'd say no.

I'd start at the very earliest with a teaser at Easter or late spring , once the bigger interest in Avengers "Endgame" has gone and general cinema fans are all looking for our next fix. Then hit it hard in September through to Xmas as they have done previously, which was such a strong success for the last films (with the notable exception of Solo)

Its also been very interesting to see how well "Spiderman: Into the Spider- verse" did critically and commercially ( Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Wikipedia ) and how much praise the "Lego 2" movie has recently been getting. Lord and Miller handled the fallout from Solo with a lot of grace and tact and have actually gone from strength to strength since all the Solo fallout .That's got to have made certain people at Lucasfilm and Disney sit up and take notice over the choices made that ultimately caused "Solo" to perform so poorly.

They know there is a huge amount of good will and trust to be earned back from a lot of SW fans by resetting up the future of the franchise at the end of this trilogy, which might leave it in a much better place than it is now. They've still got a whole huge SW universe with which to do it, and the potential remains enormous. "The Mandalorian " represents (at least to me) more of an opportunity than this final movie in a trilogy that often feels at odds with what's gone before.

And, perhaps against all those odds, though really I should never be told them, I really hope that they manage to do it.

Last edited:
I do think Disney truly cares, but the mistake was they put it in hands of those they trusted would take it to the next level and believed would take it to where it needed to go and it was just bad judgment. And heck, it was Lucas himself that appointed the initial caretaker of Star Wars, wasn't it (from what it looked like in that big announcement and signing over years ago)?

Beyond my personal opinion, I do believe the divisiveness observed in the fandom (the people who have invested the most money into these films and merchandise, or lack thereof investment recently) has made enough impact to their bottom line to listen and quietly change course from within while on the outside everything appearing to be business as usual.

pardonourdust.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC Disney stepped in with both 'Rogue One' and 'Solo' to save the films- one with extensive reshoots, the second with a total change of directors. While this is very odd apparently no one seemed to be concerned with how TLJ was progressing- a much more important film since it was the core of the franchise and not a side project. I have heard a lot with the problems of toxic fandom and social media hate propagation, but do think it is deserved with TLJ- aside from some disturbing character arcs it is simply a poorly done film with easily avoidable plot holes and uninspired vehicle designs.

Trek films blow hot and cold, sometimes following the odd-even pattern, but Star Wars has been considered a safe, reliable franchise with strong fan support and vast merchandising. I kno wit is tough to meet fan expectations built up after all these years, even the Prequels were disappointing to a lot of people, but this is the first time I remember that a single movie has almost ruined things.

I do hope they can pull things together and give us a film which will knock our socks off. I know it is too early for a trailer, but a simple teaser, even if it is just some music and a brief shot of some ships facing off, would do so much IMO to give us a little hope something good is on it's way.

IIRC Disney stepped in with both 'Rogue One' and 'Solo' to save the films- one with extensive reshoots, the second with a total change of directors. While this is very odd apparently no one seemed to be concerned with how TLJ was progressing- a much more important film since it was the core of the franchise and not a side project. I have heard a lot with the problems of toxic fandom and social media hate propagation, but do think it is deserved with TLJ- aside from some disturbing character arcs it is simply a poorly done film with easily avoidable plot holes and uninspired vehicle designs.

Is it a poor film? Funny that it won Saturn Awards for best editing and best screenplay.

And plot holes, there's no plot holes (not any major ones I think of off the top of my head)

Coming from the guy who's been grasping at straws to explain how good it is, without actually explaining anything. Oh, sorry, I forgot I'm not allowed to have an opinion on how bad the last jedi sucked.

Here's the plot boiled down to its basics.

Movie starts with bad guys defeating good guys. Good guys have to run away.

Our lightsaber wielding hero seeks training from on old master. Initially the master refuses. But in the end gives in and trains the hero.

Meanwhile the rest of the characters are chased by the bad guys for majority of the film. This leads to some operatic drama.

The hero believing their friends to be in grave danger abandons their training against the wishes of the old master.

Everyone is reunited for the conclusion and climax of the film.

Maybe it is because you can't seem to help yourself... Gain some self control.

I was really excited to see the subject matter start to take a turn in this thread. JoeK3rr is just bound and determined to bring it back to the same thing over and over again though.

Okay I've had enough. I didn't want to say anything for fear of making people really mad. But I can't keep quiet any longer. I love everyone at the RPF. You guys have been so helpful.

But what's the deal? I strive to never go off topic. I really only reply to people. I don't think I've ever posted (on this thread) something about TLJ(that wasn't a reply to someone else). It seems it's okay when someone talks about TLJ as long as they are bashing it. But as soon as someone else brings up an opposing view, you slap their hand. Come on guys how about a little fairness please?

Okay I've had enough. I didn't want to say anything for fear of making people really mad. But I can't keep quiet any longer. I love everyone at the RPF. You guys have been so helpful.

But what's the deal? I strive to never go off topic. I really only reply to people. I don't think I've ever posted (on this thread) something about TLJ(that wasn't a reply to someone else). It seems it's okay when someone talks about TLJ as long as they are bashing it. But as soon as someone else brings up an opposing view, you slap their hand. Come on guys how about a little fairness please?

Because no one on here responds to your posts trying to get you to hate it. We get that you like it, fine. Ok. Good for you. But the fact that everyone who posts a grievance about the film has to immediately hear from you is exhausting.

Because no one on here responds to your posts trying to get you to hate it. We get that you like it, fine. Ok. Good for you. But the fact that everyone who posts a grievance about the film has to immediately hear from you is exhausting.

Then please I beg you, hold yourselves to the same standards that you want me to adhere to. If you don't want to talk about TLJ on the episode 9 thread. Then don't bring it up.

And I'm not trying to get people to love TLJ. I'm just sharing the opposing view.

It gets dragged in a cyclical circle because people try to stick to IX, but you can't speculate what they'll do on IX without referencing VIII and when people reference VIII in something that they believe needs fixing in IX, you come in and defend VIII and the whole thing starts over again!

You need to let it go when less than favorable things are mentioned about VIII. You can disagree with their opinion on where they'd go without pulling it back into a never ending loop of 8 really is good.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back